title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central
 
Page 40 of 50 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast
Results 586 to 600 of 738

Thread: RE: Ripping Level Question (help?)

  1. #586
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    384

    Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)

    Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    Hi,

    This album features four trios, each playing two tracks (totalling eight tracks):


    The name of the album is (rather thoughtlessly!) the name of each pianist:

    "Chick Corea, Herbie Hancock, Keith Jarrett, McCoy Tyner"

    How, please, might one approach the tagging of such an album; in terms of Artist, Album Artist and Compilation?

    The material features work which is either previously unissued, or else otherwise issued on (separate) albums by their respective Artists.

    I still interpret the CD as being complete as whole because the title does not include terms such as 'Best Of', 'Collection', or similar.

    Cheers,

    Paul
    I'd list it as a compilation with "Various Artists" for the Album Artist tag (as I always do) and put their names in the Artist tags. To me, the combination of newly- and previously-released songs is still a compilation.

  2. #587
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wirral, UK
    Posts
    1,658

    Question Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)

    Quote Originally Posted by Jailhouse View Post
    If Wikipedia is correct, Corea is the only one of the four who played on all four tracks. Vitous and DeJohnette played bass and drums, respectively, on tracks 1 and 2, and Konitz played sax on tracks 3 and 4. For that reason, I would make "Chick Corea" the album artist. For the Artist tags, I would list Corea, Vitous, and DeJohnette for the first two tracks, and Corea and Konitz for the other two. The album would therefore be listed with my other "Chick Corea" albums, while the actual lineup for each track would be displayed on-screen during playback.
    Thanks JH,

    Yes, that's true. Corea is consistently appearing Artist.

    I just took a listen and:

    Track 1 = Corea, Vitous, DeJhonette,

    Track 2 = Corea, Vitous, DeJhonette,

    Track 3 = Corea, Konitz,

    Track 4 = Corea, Konitz.

    I ordered "Vol. 2" off eBay this morning and from what I can gather, Corea plays on all 3 tracks here also.

    The reason I put Jack DeJohnette as Album Artist was because he was the 'organiser'.

    Cheers,

    Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 09-22-2017 at 02:20 PM. Reason: spelling

  3. #588
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wirral, UK
    Posts
    1,658

    Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)

    Quote Originally Posted by Jailhouse View Post
    I'd list it as a compilation with "Various Artists" for the Album Artist tag (as I always do) and put their names in the Artist tags. To me, the combination of newly- and previously-released songs is still a compilation.
    OK, thanks a lot. I will have a play around with that. Cheers.

  4. #589
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wirral, UK
    Posts
    1,658

    Question Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)

    Hi,

    Because, on my Sony Walkman (which has since been returned to Amazon), the ';' (semicolon) separator did not work as it should, I was advised to use the '/' instead. For example, for a 'Producers' tag I might type: Teo Macero / Miles Davis'; or for a 'Label' tag: Legacy / Columbia. In other words for all these types of tags I have used this legend.

    For Artist Sort and Album Sort, I have used the ',' (comma). So: 'Davis, Miles' or 'Coltrane, John'.

    Do you think this is OK, please? My searches in Foobar are successful and without issue.

    Cheers,

    Paul

  5. #590
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    4,195

    Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)

    Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    Hi,

    Because, on my Sony Walkman (which has since been returned to Amazon), the ';' (semicolon) separator did not work as it should, I was advised to use the '/' instead. For example, for a 'Producers' tag I might type: Teo Macero / Miles Davis'; or for a 'Label' tag: Legacy / Columbia. In other words for all these types of tags I have used this legend.

    For Artist Sort and Album Sort, I have used the ',' (comma). So: 'Davis, Miles' or 'Coltrane, John'.

    Do you think this is OK, please? My searches in Foobar are successful and without issue.

    Cheers,

    Paul
    ; or alternatives are for multi-value tags. Commas in sort tags are just separating first and last name. These are two differerent things. It all depends on what your players will or will not recognize. Just test on your players.

  6. #591
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wirral, UK
    Posts
    1,658

    Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)

    Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    ; or alternatives are for multi-value tags. Commas in sort tags are just separating first and last name. These are two differerent things. It all depends on what your players will or will not recognize. Just test on your players.
    Gary, So you could have a situation where you tag your albums a certain way, but you have to live with the fact that not all of your players will recognise/handle the texts in an identical manner? Cheers.

  7. #592
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wirral, UK
    Posts
    1,658

    Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)

    Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Chick Corea;Jack DeJhonette;Lee Konitz;Miroslav Vitous
    I am kind of wondering if I should have used your method or not. So using a semicolon instead of a hyphen.

    But, as I say, Foobar is handling it OK, and the Sony Walkman has been sent back to Amazon for a refund ...

  8. #593
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    4,195

    Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)

    Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    Gary, So you could have a situation where you tag your albums a certain way, but you have to live with the fact that not all of your players will recognise/handle the texts in an identical manner? Cheers.
    Yes. Or have to edit tags.

  9. #594
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wirral, UK
    Posts
    1,658

    Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)

    Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Yes. Or have to edit tags.
    Would you say the Foobar is pretty much universal in regards to how it handles dBpa tagging, please? Or is it more unique? Cheers.

  10. #595
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    4,195

    Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)

    Probably, but don't really know.

  11. #596
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wirral, UK
    Posts
    1,658

    Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)

    Cheers Gary, So you use a comma (,) for Artist Sort and Album Sort? Paul

  12. #597
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    4,195

    Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)

    Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    Cheers Gary, So you use a comma (,) for Artist Sort and Album Sort? Paul
    I don't use sort tags. But if I did I would use comma. Nothing else would make any sense.

  13. #598
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wirral, UK
    Posts
    1,658

    Question Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)

    Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    I don't use sort tags. But if I did I would use comma. Nothing else would make any sense.
    Cheers Gary,

    Fair enough if you don't use them. Pointless having something you don't need! But you would use - if you wanted to tag MULTIPLE Producers or Labels etc - semi colons (;) to separate their names? eg.:

    (PRODUCER) Reggie Lucas; Pete Cosey

    (LABEL) Verve; Polydor

    Whereas I have used:

    Reggie Lucas / Pete Cosey

    Verve / Polydor

    Thanks,

    Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 09-29-2017 at 03:20 PM. Reason: spelling

  14. #599
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    4,195

    Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)

    Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    Cheers Gary,

    Fair enough if you don't use them. Pointless having something you don't need! But you would use - if you wanted to tag MULTIPLE Producers or Labels etc - semi colons ( to separate their names? eg.:
    (PRODUCER) Reggie Lucas; Pete Cosey

    (LABEL) Verve; Polydor

    Whereas I have used:
    Reggie Lucas / Pete Cosey

    Verve / Polydor

    Thanks,

    Paul
    yes. I use ;

  15. #600
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wirral, UK
    Posts
    1,658

    Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)

    Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    yes. I use ;
    OK, cheers Gary. If I am mostly going to use Foobar, and quite possibly purchase a Amazon Fire Tablet (as the faulty Sony has been returned), then would you bother (if you where I!) to change all of my '/' to a ';'? Paul

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •