title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

RE: Ripping Level Question (help?)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • garym
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Nov 2007

Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)

[deleted] duplicate

Comment

• mville
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by monsterjazzlick
      The reason why I wanted to check about the year/foobar is that the bootleg CD took over 90 minutes to rip! So I wanted to be as sure as I could that I was doing everything correctly etc.
      To clarify, if a tag is not correct or is missing, you don't have to re-rip the CD to fix the tag. You are able to add/delete/edit tags post ripping with Edit ID-Tag.

To view the tag in foobar2000 and then edit accordingly using Edit ID-Tag, should be much quicker than posting in this forum and waiting for an answer.
      Last edited by mville; 09-06-2017, 06:53 AM.

Comment

• garym
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Nov 2007

The reason why I wanted to check about the year/foobar is that the bootleg CD took over 90 minutes to rip! So I wanted to be as sure as I could that I was doing everything correctly etc. Cheers, Paul
        The time to rip was because of problems with the Disc itself (and dbpa having to try and rerip frames). It has nothing to do with the missing tag or foobar.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Jul 2017

Hi, I am trying to make decisions from the outset as to what system of tagging etc I will be using. So every time a new issue arises I would rather nip-it-in-the-bud than resolve it the next day (or whenever). Hence, I post a question as soon as such an issue poses itself. I could, as you say, just rip them and resolve them later; but the bootlegs/tributes/collections CDs presented many questions and I wanted to tackle them while they were fresh in my mind. Cheers.
          Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 09-06-2017, 12:50 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• mville
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Dec 2008

Hi, I am trying to make decisions from the outset as to what system of tagging etc I will be using.
            That is a good idea.

So every time a new issue arises I would rather nip-it-in-the-bud than resolve it the next day (or whenever).
            My point entirely. Seeing as you had already ripped the CD, it would have taken you 15-20 seconds to check the year in foobar2000, so nipping-it-in-the-bud, rather than you having to post a message and then wait for the answer.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Jul 2017

Originally posted by mville
              To view the tag in foobar2000 and then edit accordingly using Edit ID-Tag, should be much quicker than posting in this forum and waiting for an answer.
              Hi, After much experimentation, it seems - as far as I can tell - that if searching in foobar for a specific YEAR, then the results will call up (filter) ALL tags containing the search criteria. For instance, if you type in (say) '1978' then it will display ALL files containing anything whatsoever to '1978'. So that will include (should you have included such tags as I have) the 'recording date' (1976), 'release year' (1978), and any songs which have the criteria in the title (eg. 'Summer Blues of 1976'). Because such a search is very wide, I will need to start experimenting with the differing FILTER settings. Also, my Sony Walkman has been fixed, I found out this afternoon; and so I would like to see how all my my tagging to date appears on there. Hopefully nothing will need to be changed too drastically, if at all. Paul

Comment

• mville
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Dec 2008

After much experimentation, it seems - as far as I can tell - that if searching in foobar for a specific YEAR, then the results will call up (filter) ALL tags containing the search criteria.
                You use the built-in Query for more powerful searches of the foobar2000 database: Foobar2000:Query syntax
                e.g. %date% IS 1978 or %artist% HAS "Miles"
                Last edited by mville; 09-06-2017, 10:08 PM.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Jul 2017

Originally posted by mville
                  You use the built-in Query for more powerful searches of the foobar2000 database: Foobar2000:Query syntax
                  e.g. %date% IS 1978 or %artist% HAS "Miles"
                  Thanks mville, So there are quite a few options for running specific searches then. Both of your 'syntax' examples worked great! Paul

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Jul 2017

Hi, I now only have 3 more Miles Davis CDs to rip! I will have done over 50 discs which amounts to almost 30GB. Then it will be time ti start on the next artist (probably Chick Corea). Cheers.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Jul 2017

Hi, Depending on how the returned Sony Walkman responds, I may decide to change one of my tags. I like to know the release-year and also the recorded-year - and I am trying to keep the 'comments' box free for more exclusive data.

So, in YEAR I have been stating the release-year of the album (if all tracks were recorded in the same year), or else the YEAR each track (if different) was released. When the tracks were recorded during different years then this field shows as: 'various years' - as you would expect. And in the self-created RECORDED tag I am stating the year of the recording. The latter mentioned is fine and I am happy with how this is being handled. But for YEAR, I am thinking maybe I should just state the year the album was released, as opposed to each track. For instance, if you have a compilation CD where every track was released in a different year, then I am wondering if I may be better just simply stating one single OVERALL year (ie. the year the compilation album was released), rather that - as I have been doing - going to great lengths to individually tag the year of each and every track. I am happy with everything else I have done to date and so at least there is only one single element which may be subject to change.

If I do decide to switch to this new method, then situations will arise where you have one track (say: "Spanish Key" from Miles Davis's: 'Bitches Brew') which is tagged with the YEAR '1970' (on the original album). But then the same item (ie: "Spanish Key" from Miles Davis's: 'Bitches Brew') which is tagged with the YEAR '2001' (on the complete boxset remastered album)! Thanks, Paul
                      Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 09-06-2017, 10:53 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Jul 2017

Hi, Does anyone draw the line at what content they choose to rip to FLAC, please? For example, I am thinking of learning to speak German next year and I have recently purchased a CD and booklet. I mean, do people also rip lectures/tutorial to FLAC, or do you leave them as mp3? Paul
                        Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 09-06-2017, 11:41 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• garym
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Nov 2007

Hi, Does anyone draw the line at what content they choose to rip to FLAC, please? For example, I am thinking of learning to speak German next year and I have recently purchased a CD and booklet. I mean, do people also rip lectures/tutorial to FLAC, or do you leave them as mp3? Paul
                          things like lectures, podcasts, etc. I leave as mp3.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Jul 2017

Originally posted by garym
                            things like lectures, podcasts, etc. I leave as mp3.
                            Hi Gary, is that because you would rather spend your time ripping MUSIC CDs; or that you don't class lectures as being 'important' audio; or cause you're always trying to save - where you can - on MB space? Cheers.
                            Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 09-08-2017, 01:06 AM.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • Jul 2017

Hi, The Sony Walkman finally arrived back for the second time. They found no liquid spillage or sand ingrains. Its loud enough and the battery charges up fully. So why am I posting this update? Well, because now it won't read the damn SD card!!!!!!!! Paul

Comment

• mville
                                dBpoweramp Guru
                                • Dec 2008

Hi Gary, is that because you would rather spend your time ripping MUSIC CDs; or that you don't class lectures as being 'important' audio; or cause you're always trying to save - where you can - on MB space?
                                Knowing garym as I do (several years now, using these forums ), I reckon it's down to the narrow bandwidth (frequency range) that speech requires, so mp3 is more than adequate.
                                Last edited by mville; 09-08-2017, 01:34 AM. Reason: added an almost nostalgic reference

Comment

Working...

]]>