title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

RE: Ripping Level Question (help?)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jailhouse
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Sep 2016

Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)

Originally posted by monsterjazzlick
    I have been trying to rip a CD for about an hour now. The final track just won't complete. First, dBpa kept looping stating: 'ultra secure' (it tried about 8 of these! And now it it ripping in: 'Frames'

I tried taking out the CD and wiping it. There are no scratches. First time this has happened.
    And it likely won't be the last. As garym mentioned, it's a normal occurrence.

Re-ripping frames does take a long time per frame. I once let a >500-frame re-rip run its course; it took about four hours. (It turns out the disk was completely useless. I had to buy a replacement.)

If that's not bad enough, I recently saw dBpa start re-ripping 21,000+ frames on one track (!). I skipped the track immediately since it would have taken something like a week to finish (if the drive didn't fail) and I had no confidence it would end well anyway. I checked the disc for any obvious flaw after the rip completed and ... well, I guess a 3 mm hole counts as a flaw, eh? I must have mistaken it for part of the artwork. The good news is that only the one track was affected. The better news is that I listed to the track on YouTube and discovered I don't like it at all, so I'm missing a track and I don't care. I got lucky on that one.

There's always something....

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Jul 2017

Originally posted by garym
      You can do whatever you want of course. It's not a law of nature. But that's the only thing that makes any sense to me. Personally, I don't use SORT tags at all.
      Yes, I suppose so. I just like to see what other people do and then end up doing a bit of everything. Like pickin' the best bits I like most! Paul.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Artist.png
Views:	1
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	293517
      Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 08-17-2017, 09:44 PM. Reason: screenshot

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Jailhouse
        And it likely won't be the last. As garym mentioned, it's a normal occurrence.

Re-ripping frames does take a long time per frame. I once let a >500-frame re-rip run its course; it took about four hours. (It turns out the disk was completely useless. I had to buy a replacement.)

If that's not bad enough, I recently saw dBpa start re-ripping 21,000+ frames on one track (!). I skipped the track immediately since it would have taken something like a week to finish (if the drive didn't fail) and I had no confidence it would end well anyway. I checked the disc for any obvious flaw after the rip completed and ... well, I guess a 3 mm hole counts as a flaw, eh? I must have mistaken it for part of the artwork. The good news is that only the one track was affected. The better news is that I listed to the track on YouTube and discovered I don't like it at all, so I'm missing a track and I don't care. I got lucky on that one.

There's always something....
        JH, Two hours! lol. If you found you had a dodgy CD and it was going to cost (say) £10/$13 to replace it, then would you do so?

Does 1-frame represent 1-digit of binary, would you know, please? Paul

Comment

• Oggy
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Apr 2015

I also use an USB adaptor, and have great success with old, full size DVD drives too. Much faster than the laptop drive, and people were giving them away, or selling for a few pounds. I've got a couple I've got easy access to, using them alongside, the laptop drive.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Oggy
            I also use an USB adaptor, and have great success with old, full size DVD drives too. Much faster than the laptop drive, and people were giving them away, or selling for a few pounds. I've got a couple I've got easy access to, using them alongside, the laptop drive.
            Oggy, Are ALL the external-DVD-drives compatible with ANY laptop, would you know, please? Paul

Comment

• Oggy
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Apr 2015

I'd make ARTISTSORT = "Miles Davis Sextet" and ALBUMARTISTSORT = "Davis, Miles"
              Same, here.

Comment

• Oggy
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Apr 2015

Oggy, Are ALL the external-DVD-drives compatible with ANY laptop, would you know, please? Paul
                I've tried about 10, and they've all worked. With the USB2 adaptor, I've got, both SATA and the older ide drives, can be used.

Sorry, I see you said external, so yes. I tend to use the old Internal drives, via the USB adaptor.
                Last edited by Oggy; 08-17-2017, 10:35 PM.

Comment

• garym
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Nov 2007

the enclosures are USB connected, so if the laptop has USB port, then you can connect the external drive.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Jul 2017

the enclosures are USB connected, so if the laptop has USB port, then you can connect the external drive.
                    OK, I may have a think about this if I buy the Amazon Fire H8 (rather than a new PC).

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Jul 2017

Hi, Have gone through all 25 x CDs burned to date and - using the 'EDIT ID TAGS' facility - checked and amended all data as saw fit. Still took over two damn hours! I do have some artwork issues though (which I will post over the weekend in the dedicated thread). Goodnight!

Click image for larger version

Name:	foo_album_artist.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	293521
                      Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 08-18-2017, 12:18 AM. Reason: screenshot

Comment

• Jailhouse
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Sep 2016

JH, If you found you had a dodgy CD and it was going to cost (say) £10/$13 to replace it, then would you do so?
                        At that price, certainly. If I like it enough, I might spend double that, or more.

Does 1-frame represent 1-digit of binary, would you know, please? Paul
                        I think it's more than that. I do know is that it represents orders of magnitude more time in re-rip processing than it does in listening time.

Comment

• schmidj
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Nov 2013

As I recall, one frame is 1/75th of a second. A lot more than one sample, but often inaudible if bad. Also, unless you turn it off, the software will try to interpolate if it can't read a frame.

You can set limits under secure ripping on how many tries for rerips of a frame, and how long to try to rip before timing out and giving up. I have found out that even "good" rerips are often really bad if you set the number of rerip tries at all high. I usually skip a track or abort a rip if I see it reripping frames. Then I try a different make DVD drive. I have one make drive that often is able to rip dodgy CDs without error, but if it does need rerips, usually completely fails, needing far more than the drive that is more often to have problems with marginal discs, and that "better" drive often slows to almost a stop on discs it has problems with.

In the end. if you have the time, listen to the tracks that have rerips, to see if you hear an audible problem. If so, buy another copy of the CD if you care about the track. If you can't locate another copy you can usually open the ripped file in an audio editor and "fix" it so it sounds ok.

That's why it is a good idea to have an assortment of different drives. Drives are pretty cheap, I go to Microcenter and buy an assortment.

Comment

• mville
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Dec 2008

If you found you had a dodgy CD and it was going to cost (say) £10/$13 to replace it, then would you do so?
                            It should also be mentioned here that buying another copy of a CD, does not always guarantee that tracks with errors can be fixed.

Often, there are pressing/manufacturing errors, so all CDs in a particular manufacturing batch, will have the error.

Comment

• mville
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by schmidj
                              As I recall, one frame is 1/75th of a second.
                              Yes, that is what I understand also.

(Spoon) correct me if I am wrong, but I understood this as: minutes:seconds:frames, where there are 75 frames in one second.

... hmmm, not entirely sure now, after looking at a CDRipper log file with frame errors.

this looks to me like 2 adjacent frames:

Re-rip Frame: 190971 (00:03:06.946) matched 10 / 11
                              Re-rip Frame: 190972 (00:03:06.960) matched 10 / 11
                              Last edited by mville; 08-18-2017, 12:11 PM. Reason: added mm:ss:ff, ripping log info

Comment

• Dat Ei
                                dBpoweramp Guru
                                • Feb 2014

Hey mville,

0.946 and 0.960 should be frame 71 and 72.

Dat Ei

Comment

Working...

]]>