title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: RE: Ripping Level Question (help?)

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)

Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    Gee, I thought I was serious about music/listening, but you guys put me to shame!
    Paul, have a quick look at the John Hiatt, thread. Timothy Wright, garym and Dat Ei, have some great album suggestions.

Yes, these guys are definitely serious about their music. Have great taste in music, too!

dBpoweramp Guru

Question Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)

Oggy,

Cheers, I looked at the music discussion thread, thanks.

If the album has VARIOUS composers, then do you leave the 'dBpa' default verbatim as: "<various composers>"?

Vari_Comp.jpg

Or do you remove the: "<" and ">", please?

Thanks,

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Oggy,

Cheers, I looked at the music discussion thread, thanks.

If the album has VARIOUS composers, then do you leave the 'dBpa' default verbatim as: "<various composers>"?

Vari_Comp.jpg

Or do you remove the: "<" and ">", please?

Thanks,

Paul
    Leave as is, all that means, is that the album has, more than one composer.

The tags look good, except the unnecessary, Disc 1!
    Last edited by Oggy; 08-07-2017 at 04:16 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
    Leave as is, all that means, is that the album has, more than one composer.

The tags all look good, except the unnecessary, Disc 1!
    Oggy,

OK, great; will do.

Yup, I agree. I want to kill off the 'Disc' numbers in the album titles. I don't like them anymore. I just posted a couple of Q.s regarding this in the: 'Set Up For Ripping' thread.

Cheers.
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 08-07-2017 at 04:20 PM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi,

Back to 'Composers' again (if you will), I have completed all of the different Composer fields for each respective track - no problem.

But, there is a field that is empty which is also called 'Composer' (directly above: 'View All tracks'). It defaults to Wayne Shorter (either because he is the first composer on the first track, or because of GD3/Discogs etc).

Comp_1.png

Now, I can DELETE Wayne Shorter and leave it empty (not sure if that would effect anything?). However, if I try to type something in (ie. the names of the three composers of this album: Shorter / Hancock / Williams), then it writes in (automatically): 'Shorter / Hancock / Williams' in each individual track field (suggesting that every track was a combined composition by all three composers!).

On page 1, the "Various Composer" text remains intact.

Comp_2.png

Muchas gracias!
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 08-07-2017 at 05:03 PM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi,

Back to 'Composers' again (if you will), I have completed all of the different Composer fields for each respective track - no problem.

But, there is a field that is empty which is also called 'Composer' (directly above: 'View All tracks'). It defaults to Wayne Shorter (either because he is the first composer on the first track, or because of GD3/Discogs etc).

Comp_1.png

Now, I can DELETE Wayne Shorter and leave it empty (not sure if that would effect anything?). However, if I try to type something in (ie. the names of the three composers of this album: Shorter / Hancock / Williams), then it writes in (automatically): 'Shorter / Hancock / Williams' in each individual track field (suggesting that every track was a combined composition by all three composers!).

On page 1, the "Various Composer" text remains intact.

Comp_2.png

Muchas gracias!
    Yes, you are displaying the first track, and the Composer, is Wayne Shorter.

If you filled in Shorter / Hancock / Williams, and then hit, To All, this would overwrite, your first screenshot, and the Composer for each track, becomes, Shorter / Hancock / Williams. Do you really want that, and not what you had originally?

dBpoweramp Guru

Yes, you are displaying the first track, and the Composer, is Wayne Shorter.

If you filled in Shorter / Hancock / Williams, and then hit, To All, this would overwrite, your first screenshot, and the Composer for each track, becomes, Shorter / Hancock / Williams. Do you really want that, and not what you had originally?
    Oggy,

OK, cheers.

You are correct about my intentions; I don't want: 'Shorter / Hancock / Williams' for every track (because it would be inaccurate).

So it's showing Wayne Shorter because he is the Composer of track-1? So, please, is it then possible to flick through the other tracks to see if Hancock and Williams appear (in that very same verbatim box for their own respective tracks)? - I am not sure how to flick through them (I did try via the player). Or would you not even worry about it?!

I will rip it and see how it comes out ...

Paul

NB. I was wondering if W.S. was showing as the Composer because the first track and title of the CD is 'Nefertiti' (ie. his own composition?).
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 08-07-2017 at 05:40 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Oggy,

OK, cheers.

You are correct about my intentions; I don't want: 'Shorter / Hancock / Williams' for every track (because it would be inaccurate).

So it's showing Wayne Shorter because he is the Composer of track-1? So, please, is it then possible to flick through the other tracks to see if Hancock and Williams appear (in that very same verbatim box for their own respective tracks)? - I am not sure how to flick through them (I did try via the player). Or would you not even worry about it?!

Paul

NB. I was wondering if W.S. was showing as the Composer because the first track and title of the CD is 'Nefertiti' (ie. his own composition?).
    You can highlight, any track, in your example, track 1, and hence, Wayne Shorter, is displayed.

Using View Track-Artists, as in your screen shot, is probably the easiest method of checking, and correcting.

All seems well in the first screen shot.

dBpoweramp Guru

You can highlight, any track, in your example, track 1, and hence, Wayne Shorter, is displayed.

Using View Track-Artists, as in your screen shot, is probably the easiest method of checking, and correcting.

All seems well in the first screen shot.
    Oggy,

Thanks.

I just checked on my Sony player and all the Composer tags read fine.

I still cant work out - sorry to wreck your head! - how/where to highlight any track on the page of the screenshot, please? I've clicked everywhere; well obviously not everywhere as the respective Composers would have changed!

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 08-07-2017 at 07:25 PM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

Oggy,

OK, cheers.

Paul

Paul,

I meant to say, you can check (highlight, doh!), in the View Track-Artists, and correct from there, if necessary.

Yes, the first track Composer, is displayed, as in your screen shot.
    Last edited by Oggy; 08-08-2017 at 11:14 AM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi,

I am about to rip a Miles Davis CD called "TUTU".

The COMPILATION box has been automatically checked even though this is not a compilation album!:

compilation.png

Is this due to there being inaccurate information on-the-web?, and do I just simply uncheck it, please?

Many thanks.
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 08-08-2017 at 01:51 PM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

I would uncheck the box, but it's still up to you! Your choice!

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Ei View Post
    I would uncheck the box, but it's still up to you! Your choice!
    Thanks Dat Ei,

I am unchecking it right away ...

The COMPILATION discrepancy has never to me before until just now.

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

The COMPILATION discrepancy has never to me before until just now.
    If the artist tag contains different values across the CD, CDRipper automatically ticks the Compilation box.

This behaviour is very annoying, but Illustrate insist that if the artist is not consistent (i.e. is not the same for all tracks) then it is a compilation, something I do not agree with.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    If the artist tag contains different values across the CD, CDRipper automatically ticks the Compilation box.

This behaviour is very annoying, but Illustrate insist that if the artist is not consistent (i.e. is not the same for all tracks) then it is a compilation, something I do not agree with.
    I expect it is a compilation the majority of the time, and the reason why CD Ripper is programmed that way. The one exception (barring errors) I can think of offhand would be some tracks where the Artist field has "Feat. [another artist]" appended to the album artist's name.

Just another reason why one should always closely check all metadata/tags with every rip.