title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: RE: Ripping Level Question (help?)

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)

Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    Cheers Gary,

I checked and when I rip 2/3 CDs from a box-set it places them all in my 'monsterjazzlicks_FLAC_miles_davis' folder, but not within an auto-created folder for the double/triple discs (as per screenshot):

Attachment 1417

Actually, I am not too bothered because it only takes 30 x seconds to make one up (eg. "Dark Magus", "Live Evil", etc), and then I can just drag the 'Disc-1' and 'Disc-2' into it.

Paul
    Thats only because you have the option set to add disc number to album title. Under this approach, all albums are treated as single disc albums.

dBpoweramp Guru

Question Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)

Oggy,

"Twofers"
    - lol!

I will have another look at Don's thread - thanks - as I am a bit more experienced (with 'dBpa') than I was a fortnight ago.

Cheers,

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 08-06-2017 at 06:00 PM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    The product line line had quite a variation in cost. My main listening post uses a Logitech Transporter. This sold new for $1,999 over 9 years ago (it was designed by the cofounder of slimdevices, not by Logitech). So nothing like cheap consumer stuff that is primarily sold by Logitech. So different that Logitech really didn't know what to do with it. Thus it's discontinuation.
    Gary,

Gee, 1,999 bucks! I would have thought that you could buy the whole company ('Logitech') for that! Ha ha ...

I never expected that. But as I say, my narrow minded opinions were based purely upon nothing more than 2nd/3rd-hand comments I had heard/read in passing.

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Cheers Gary,

I checked and when I rip 2/3 CDs from a box-set it places them all in my 'monsterjazzlicks_FLAC_miles_davis' folder, but not within an auto-created folder for the double/triple discs (as per screenshot):

Attachment 1417

Actually, I am not too bothered because it only takes 30 x seconds to make one up (eg. "Dark Magus", "Live Evil", etc), and then I can just drag the 'Disc-1' and 'Disc-2' into it.

Paul
    It is much easier, to simply call the Album, Dark Magus and Little Evil, for both discs, and use, 1/2 2/2 As garym said, the double album will then play, complete, without any user intervention, and you won't need to do any dragging!

dBpoweramp Guru

Miles Davis is a good example of the value of ALBUM ARTIST tag. I make all my Miles albums with album artist of Miles Davis. So all albums end up in the same artist directory. But I use actual band names for ARTIST tag. So I use Miles Davis Quartet, Miles Davis Sextet, etc.
    Hi again,

Yes, quite!

I also tag the Miles albums with Album Artist of 'Miles Davis'.

I did think (last week) of also using the band-name for Artist (eg. 'M.D. Quintet', 'Big Band', etc) but I abandoned the idea because (as you will know) many of his albums contain different instrument-line-ups. For instance, I just ripped 'Live Evil' (1971) which has almost a different personnel for each track! But I am not as experienced as you regarding tagging and so it may well be something I decide to change later down the line.

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

exactly. For me, Miles Davis Bitches Brew is one album, not Bitches Brew (Disc 1) and Bitches Brew (Disc 2). When I tell my player to play Bitches Brew, I want it to play the entire album start to finish.
    Oh I see!

So you like to have it play the entirety of the album without stopping from top-to-bottom. That would be good for PARTIES!

Now, I actually prefer to just have it play 1 x disc per time (as though it was a hard-copy disc in a CD player). But to quote your good-self: "that's what options are for!"

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 08-06-2017 at 06:20 PM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

Gary,

Gee, 1,999 bucks! I would have thought that you could buy the whole company ('Logitech') for that! Ha ha ...

I never expected that. But as I say, my narrow minded opinions were based purely upon nothing more than 2nd/3rd-hand comments I had heard/read in passing.

Paul
    I wish. Their current stock value is $5.9 Billion dollars. Their after-tax income last year was $205,870,000. That's a lot of mice and keyboards!

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
    Apple, and The Beatles, sell everything as individual albums, or box sets. They did manage, Anthology 1, Anthology 2, and Anthology 3, all full price, double CDs. The 3 covers look rather good together, on my app, as they join together, making a 3 CD sized poster.

This wouldn't work if I had used Disc 1, Disc 2, in the album name, giving, Anthology 1, Disc 1, Anthology 1, Disc 2 etc. giving, 6 covers, and losing the poster effect.

Again, you only really become aware, of how covers, can be displayed on your app. until you see it for yourself. Also, why the Artist / Album, folder structure, works so well.
    Oggy,

Well maybe this is food-for-thought once I finally suss out this Walkman malarkey and get to test such data on the definitive device.

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Thats only because you have the option set to add disc number to album title. Under this approach, all albums are treated as single disc albums.
    Ok, cheers man. That's helpful to know.

dBpoweramp Guru

It is much easier, to simply call the Album, Dark Magus and Little Evil, for both discs, and use, 1/2 2/2 As garym said, the double album will then play, complete, without any user intervention, and you won't need to do any dragging!
    Thanks Oggy,

I think I need to get with the modern day thinking!

I am mentally still stuck back in the days when you had to get up off the sofa and turn the vinyl over after 3 x songs!

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Howdy,

Many of the Miles Davis Complete Box-Sets are comprised of 'out-takes' from many sessions (there will be 'Beatles' ones of this fashion I am sure - Oggy may kindly confirm?). I prefer to keep them all under the same heading/roof/umbrella
    Probably the best example I have of this, is an Andrew Gold, 3 CD, box set. Disc 1, has two complete albums, Disc 2, has two more complete albums, and Disc 3, is, Bonus Material.

I've split this down to 5 individual discs, by using - track offset, and re-naming. The four individual discs, now have their original covers and release dates, and the Bonus Track CD, I have used the Box set, cover art, and, simply called it, Artist Andrew Gold, Album Bonus Tracks. Disc number, I changed all 5, back to 1/1.

It sounds more long-winded, than it actually is.

Great box set, BTW. By the way, Paul!!

dBpoweramp Guru

Thanks Oggy,

I think I need to get with the modern day thinking!

I am mentally still stuck back in the days when you had to get up off the sofa and turn the vinyl over after 3 x songs!

Paul
    The original CD of Full Moon Fever, by, Tom Petty, actually has a spoken part on the CD, saying there will be a short pause, out of courtesy to those listening on LP, before side 2.

You can always hit pause, and indulge in your favourite tipple!
    Last edited by Oggy; 08-06-2017 at 06:36 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

The original CD of Full Moon Fever, by, Tom Petty, actually has a spoken part on the CD, saying there will be a short pause, out of courtesy to those listening on LP, before side 2.

You can always hit pause, and indulge in your favourite tipple!
    I always loved that about full moon fever. Great album too.

dBpoweramp Guru

Probably the best example I have of this, is an Andrew Gold, 3 CD, box set. Disc 1, has two complete albums, Disc 2, has two more complete albums, and Disc 3, is, Bonus Material.

I've split this down to 5 individual discs, by using - track offset, and re-naming. The four individual discs, now have their original covers and release dates, and the Bonus Track CD, I have used the Box set, cover art, and, simply called it, Artist Andrew Gold, Album Bonus Tracks. Disc number, I changed all 5, back to 1/1
    Oggy,

Yes, that's often the case. They make the last CD in the box-set a 'Bonus' bag. I much prefer this format because the original album structure/material is maintained.

Gee, I thought I was serious about music/listening, but you guys put me to shame!

Paul

BTW - this thread is on fire tonight! I seem to be blowing out all of my other forums in favour. Such an amazing and helpful bunch of guys on here, for sure.
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 08-06-2017 at 06:45 PM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

I always loved that about full moon fever. Great album too.
    I listened to it today.

"Hello, CD listeners. We've come to the point in this album where those listening on cassette, or record, will have to stand up, or sit down, and turn over the record, or tape. In fairness to those listeners, we'll now take a few seconds before we begin side two. [pause] Thank you. Here's side two."

It certainly is a great album.