title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

RE: Ripping Level Question (help?)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • monsterjazzlick
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Jul 2017

Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)

Hello Oggy,

I have never heard of the 'Logitech Squeezebox Touch' before. Actually - correct me if I am wrong - I always thought that 'Logitech' were a cheap/inferior brand compared to the likes of (say) Sony and Sennheiser? Hence, I own nothing of their product range - which shows my opinion is not based on first-hand experience!

But if this is the model:

... then ouch, that's 369GBP!

In any event, a hand-held device (like a Walkman) would be preferable (even though I am sure the 'Squeezebox' is excellent).

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 08-06-2017, 08:13 PM. Reason: s

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Oggy
      Garym's naming scheme, which I believe you are using, will create an Artist folder, for each Artist, automatically. This is a good thing. As you can see, you now have two Albums, in your Miles Davis, folder. This is also a good thing! When you search on Miles, all his albums, will show.

I believe that you preferred having Disc 1, and Disc 2, as your Album name, so you have exactly what you want.

As I mentioned, somewhere in Don's thread, I don't have Disc 1, Disc 2, in the Album name, but this is entirely a personal preference. A triple album, works exactly the same, and garym's naming string, does Compilations, both single, and multi-disc, too.
      Evening Oggy,

Yup, I followed Gary's advice from last week. It created a 'MILES DAVIS' folder during the very first rip, and since then all subsequent 'Miles' albums have been placed inside there (automatically).

Gotta' say I am luvin' the: 'Disc-1', 'Disc-2', naming-scheme!

I can see why you might not choose to display such elongated titles (when the CD is of a double or triple collection). On the Sony Walkman, the text does not scroll like on the previous model I owned. But all you need do is click on 'Album Info' and all is revealed in full and -non-scrolling text.

Paul

Comment

• garym
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Nov 2007

Miles Davis is a good example of the value of ALBUM ARTIST tag. I make all my Miles albums with album artist of Miles Davis. So all albums end up in the same artist directory. But I use actual band names for ARTIST tag. So I use Miles Davis Quartet, Miles Davis Sextet, etc.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Jul 2017

Originally posted by garym
          thats why there are options.

ps. For me it's because I like my player to treat a single album as a single album even though it may be spread out over more than one disc. In terms of file naming and organization, I do have each disc in its own sub folder under the album folder.
          Howdy,

Many of the Miles Davis Complete Box-Sets are comprised of 'out-takes' from many sessions (there will be 'Beatles' ones of this fashion I am sure - Oggy may kindly confirm?). I prefer to keep them all under the same heading/roof/umbrella, call it what you may. As you say, its each too their own.

Do you mean, please, you create a sub-folder in the case of a double/triple-CD?

Thanking you,

Paul
          Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 08-06-2017, 08:29 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• garym
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Nov 2007

Originally posted by monsterjazzlick

Thanking you,

Paul
            Yes. The sample naming string I've posted does this automatically. But if you append disc number to album name you'd never see this, as in this approach all CDs are single disc.
            Last edited by garym; 08-06-2017, 08:39 PM.

Comment

• garym
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Nov 2007

I prefer to keep them all under the same heading/roof/umbrella, call it what you may. As you say, its each too their own.
              i prefer this too. Which is why I do NOT wan disc number appended to album title. I prefer a sub folder for album name, then sub folders underneath for Disc 1, Disc 2, etc.

note. I might not do this for a box set that simply collects previously released albums. I might name these all as independent albums with correct album art for original albums.

Comment

• Oggy
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Apr 2015

Hello Oggy,

I have never heard of the 'Logitech Squeezebox Touch' before. Actually - correct me if I am wrong - I always thought that 'Logitech' were a cheap/inferior brand compared to the likes of (say) Sony and Sennheiser? Hence, I own nothing of their product range - which shows my opinion is not based on first-hand experience!

But if this is the model:

... then ouch, that's 369GBP!

In any event, a hand-held device (like a Walkman) would be preferable (even though I am sure the 'Squeezebox' is excellent).

Paul
                Ignore that then! I wasn't sure if you thinking of dumping the Sony. They are a bargain s/h though. They haven't made them for a few years, hence a boxed, brand new one, being sold for more than it cost, 5 years ago!

Comment

• Oggy
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Apr 2015

i prefer this too. Which is why I do NOT wan disc number appended to album title. I prefer a sub folder for album name, then sub folders underneath for Disc 1, Disc 2, etc.

note. I might not do this for a box set that simply collects previously released albums. I might name these all as independent albums with correct album art for original albums.
                  I prefer this method, too. The only variation being Disc 1/3, 2/3, 3/3 etc. Album, stays consistent: one less area for mistakes. But, in this world, we have choice!

I also put "Twofers", back to 2 single discs, and 5 albums, spread over 3 CDs, back to the 5 original albums, all with the original, album art.

In Don's thread, Set-Up for Ripping, page 5, post *67, I try to explain this (in a 1,000 words!), using The Wall, as an example. To me, the album is called, The Wall.

Ignore the part about track offset!
                  Last edited by Oggy; 08-06-2017, 09:24 PM.

Comment

• garym
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Nov 2007

Squeezebox was an independent company bought by Logitech (called slimdevices). They were way ahead of their time. Logitech has abandoned the product. There's now quite a serious "usergroup" that has continued to develop both hardware and software innovations for squeezeboxes. The Touch received some amazing reviews in the audiophile magazines when first released.

The product line line had quite a variation in cost. My main listening post uses a Logitech Transporter. This sold new for $1,999 over 9 years ago (it was designed by the cofounder of slimdevices, not by Logitech). So nothing like cheap consumer stuff that is primarily sold by Logitech. So different that Logitech really didn't know what to do with it. Thus it's discontinuation.

edit: but nothing portable about any of this.
                    Last edited by garym; 08-06-2017, 09:16 PM.

Comment

• Oggy
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Apr 2015

Miles Davis is a good example of the value of ALBUM ARTIST tag. I make all my Miles albums with album artist of Miles Davis. So all albums end up in the same artist directory. But I use actual band names for ARTIST tag. So I use Miles Davis Quartet, Miles Davis Sextet, etc.
                      Very good advice, works wonders on Neil Young, too!

Comment

• garym
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Nov 2007

I prefer this method, too.

I also put "Twofers", back to 2 single discs, and 5 albums, spread over 3 CDs, back to the 5 original albums, all with the original, album art.

In Don's thread, Set-Up for Ripping, page 5, post *67, I try to explain this (in a 1,000 words!), using The Wall, as an example. To me, the album is called, The Wall.

Ignore the part about track offset!
                        exactly. For me, Miles Davis Bitches Brew is one album, not Bitches Brew (Disc 1) and Bitches Brew (Disc 2). When I tell my player to play Bitches Brew, I want it to play the entire album start to finish.

Comment

• garym
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Nov 2007

Very good advice, works wonders on Neil Young, too!
                          yes, an even better example!!

Comment

• Oggy
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Apr 2015

Howdy,

Many of the Miles Davis Complete Box-Sets are comprised of 'out-takes' from many sessions (there will be 'Beatles' ones of this fashion I am sure - Oggy may kindly confirm?). I prefer to keep them all under the same heading/roof/umbrella, call it what you may. As you say, its each too their own.

Thanking you,

Paul
                            Apple, and The Beatles, sell everything as individual albums, or box sets. They did manage, Anthology 1, Anthology 2, and Anthology 3, all full price, double CDs. The 3 covers look rather good together, on my app, as they join together, making a 3 CD sized poster.

This wouldn't work if I had used Disc 1, Disc 2, in the album name, giving, Anthology 1, Disc 1, Anthology 1, Disc 2 etc. giving, 6 covers, and losing the poster effect.

Again, you only really become aware, of how covers, can be displayed on your app. until you see it for yourself. Also, why the Artist / Album, folder structure, works so well.

I did try using Disc 1, Disc 2, on one double CD, but quickly concluded, that there was a better option.
                            Last edited by Oggy; 08-06-2017, 09:54 PM.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • Jul 2017

Yes. The sample naming string I've posted does this automatically. But if you append disc number to album name you'd never see this, as in this approach all CDs are single disc.
                              Cheers Gary,

I checked and when I rip 2/3 CDs from a box-set it places them all in my 'monsterjazzlicks_FLAC_miles_davis' folder, but not within an auto-created folder for the double/triple discs (as per screenshot):

Click image for larger version

Name:	double_cd.png
Views:	1
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	293403

Actually, I am not too bothered because it only takes 30 x seconds to make one up (eg. "Dark Magus", "Live Evil", etc), and then I can just drag the 'Disc-1' and 'Disc-2' into it.

Paul
                              Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 08-06-2017, 09:54 PM. Reason: attach.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                                dBpoweramp Guru
                                • Jul 2017

They haven't made them for a few years, hence a boxed, brand new one, being sold for more than it cost, 5 years ago!
                                lol!

Comment

Working...

]]>