title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 49 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3947484950 LastLast

Thread: RE: Ripping Level Question (help?)

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)

Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    I copy&pasted (I think it was Garym's) NAMING SCHEME string last year (amongst some other data) but I'll be damned if I can find it. I can only assume it got lost when my previous (9 month old!) PC died 10 days ago. The string was in relation to 'maximum characters (240)' and 'if compilation ...'.

Please see screenshot:

If someone might be able to copy&paste it below I would be extremely grateful (or PM me - as this thread had hopped around quite a bit). I scanned through the pages of this thread but could not locate it (though it will be here somewhere).
    Is this it here, in post no. 421?: Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)

Secondly, should 'Sample Rate' be set to '+6', or is it best left to the s/w to detect the most suitable value?
    Set where exactly, as the context does not make any sense e.g. sample rate set to +6?

dBpoweramp Guru

mville,

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    Set where exactly, as the context does not make any sense e.g. sample rate set to +6?
    It was here (please see screenshot); although it now no longer says '+6':

Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 05-17-2018 at 12:37 PM. Reason: link

dBpoweramp Guru

Mville,

Is this it here, in post no. 421?: Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)
    Yes, that's it; cheers.

I lost my Word doc. However, I did not lose anything from my foobar downloads/themes folder.

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

It was here (please see screenshot); although it now no longer says '+6':
    That is referring to Sample Offset and not Sample Rate, two different things entirely.

dBpoweramp Guru

That is referring to Sample Offset and not Sample Rate, two different things entirely.
    My bad, it was a typo.

dBpoweramp Guru

Mville,

Yes, that's it; cheers.

I lost my Word doc. However, I did not lose anything from my foobar downloads/themes folder.

Paul
    It is a good idea to back up your files to a drive external to your pc.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Garym,

Yes, indeed. I thought I had, but I must have only saved the foobar and dBpa installers.

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Garym,

All backed-up across 4 x external-HDs now!

I spent 2 and a half hours ripping a Ralph Vaughn Williams classical CD yesterday. It was full from top to bottom with the most complex titles you ever saw. The tagging was a nightmare. After I had finished, I opened up Foobar and noticed it was appearing TWICE? Then I realized, with a sickly feeling, I had already ripped this very CD a few months ago!

Cheers,

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 06-12-2018 at 12:44 PM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

I spent 2 and a half hours ripping a Ralph Vaughn Williams classical CD yesterday. It was full from top to bottom with the most complex titles you ever saw. The tagging was a nightmare. After I had finished, I opened up Foobar and noticed it was appearing TWICE? Then I realized, with a sickly feeling, I had already ripped this very CD a few months ago!
    Ouch!

dBpoweramp Guru

Ouch!
    The worst one is when you accidentally hit 'refresh', instead of 'rip', within 'dBpa'; and watch as all your good tagging work disappears!

dBpoweramp Guru

Better to accidentally rip twice than to discover (as I have a number of times) that you have more than one copy of the same CD. Similar issue is when someone takes CD and reissues it with different title. You think it is something new, but you already have the identical tracks, but the album name is different.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by schmidj View Post
    Better to accidentally rip twice than to discover (as I have a number of times) that you have more than one copy of the same CD. Similar issue is when someone takes CD and reissues it with different title. You think it is something new, but you already have the identical tracks, but the album name is different.
    OK, cheers Schmidj.

dBpoweramp Guru

Question Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)

You probably need to get your head around the difference between a single tag and a multi-value tag and which tags are single and multi-value, as not all tags are multi-value e.g. the Album tag.

For a multi-value tag, Illustrate uses the semi-colon purely as a searator for display purposes. Example, Composer and Composer Sort are multi-value tags:
    Composer Sort = Lennon, John; McCartney, Paul

here, composer sort holds 2 separate data values Lennon, John and McCartney, Paul with no semi-colon. The semi-colon is purely for display.

What makes this even more complicated is that single and multi-value tag support differs for different file/tagging formats (ID3v1, ID3v2.3, ID3v2.4, Vorbis Comments, iTunes MP4, WMA, APE etc.) and is not standardized across all server/client/player software.
    Hi,

I have been checking my rips to date, this week, using the SD-card via my Amazon Fire tablet. I made quite a few errors along the way! Many of these where purely concentration mistakes because I was working for many hours without a break. And others were contained within the rips made during the first couple of weeks of owning/learning Illustrate. Spelling mistakes took up a large percentage also.

But regarding the question answered above (from last year), some of my first rips still have the '/' or ',' separating the COMPOSERS; and so need to be changed to ';'. Whilst checking under COMPOSER search, on the Fire tablet, the composer's names were appearing as one; eg:

Miles Davis John Coltrane

I just need to go through the list now and rectify those with errors. I think there are a few!

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 07-25-2018 at 08:57 AM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

You will be fixing stupid metadata errors and less stupid inconsistencies forever... PerfecTunes and opening groups of albums in mp3tag and just scrolling through the data and looking for the differences will catch a lot. Some you'll never catch, because you'll never look at that metadata anyway. As I've said, most of my listening is in my car, music tracks chosen at random. I see errors on the screen, but, of course can't remember what song I saw the error on when I get home.

Which reminds me, yesterday when listening the player chose a track from a test CD with a steady tone on it. Ugh! For the world, I don't remember ripping the CD, but I might have ripped it to test something. The ripped tracks should never have ended up in a directory that got converted to m4a's for the chip in my phone which plays via bluetooth in my car... But now I don't remember the title of the CD so I can go in there and delete it...

Same issues with the occasional bad rip that skips or repeatedly drops out (or more often is very truncated for some reason). Far fewer with dBpoweramp, but there are a few, some bad pressings. But I hear it while driving, but can't remember what track when I get home.

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi Schmidj,

Gee, fixing errors sounds like an infinite ordeal!

I listen to music to unwind at night (until I fall asleep). If I notice (say) 10 errors, then I am lucky if I remember 4 of them in the morning. But I think I have pretty much sorted my GENRE and STYLE tags now; with the exception of Opera, of which ripping these CDs has been pushed right to the back of the line. Though I am sure I own less than 10.

To be honest, I had not even noticed these errors in foobar on my PC. It was not until I checked through them on my Amazon Fire that they became apparent. The Fire's search criteria is a useful tool in this respect and, as members have mentioned before, it's good to cross-reference material.

I have, though, experienced some drop-outs (as you mention) when listening to FLACs via my PC and foobar. These do not occur on any other device though. I have a feeling it may be Windoze_10 or my external soundcard though, as the same thing was happening when recording my keyboards into Steinberg Cubase (DAW).

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 07-26-2018 at 02:50 PM. Reason: spelling