title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: RE: Ripping Level Question (help?)

dBpoweramp Guru

Question Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)

Quote Originally Posted by schmidj View Post
    Although i spend quite a bit of time on tags, a lot of that is because much of my collection is ethnic, and many cds have no tags in the databases, and even fewer album art. While tags are important, i really want to listen to music, at home and particularly in the car, to enjoy it. I refuse to get so tied up into the mechanics of ripping or playback that it takes away from the enjoyment of listening. I just get annoyed when it's really messed up, like skipping or really bad rips (one or two clicks, so what?) or when the tags are messed up enough that the rip "disappears" on my storage device.

I went with flac rather than wav (and my own recordings start off as wav, because that's what my editing software uses) because of the much better tagging. The original wav predated tags, and there is no standardization of tags for wav files. Some of my editing software strips the tags off the wav files.
    Schmidj,

Thanks a lot mate.

Many of my CD ('WMA' / 'mp3') collection skips and jumps randomly! I was told recently that I should not have use 'Windows Player' to rip them in the first place! And my rips do not often appear on my Walkman device because of poor 'tagging'. I have not ripped using 'Wav.' though.

I am interested to hear about your 'tagging'. I have some Japanese Imports (of Jazz CDs) and the tracks, obviously, appear in Japanese! I wondered if you thought, please, if I needed to go to great extents to achieve a reliable library-system? I mean, I only ever search for a song (on my PC pr Walkman) via 'Artist', 'Album', or ' Song'. So possible nothing as complex as your own system. And if so, then can I just leave everything 'as is', and l trust 'dBpa' to do all the donkey-work, please? I ripped a CD yesterday (see earlier screenshots) and as far as I could see it included all such data correctly.

Cheers,

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 07-27-2017 at 04:21 PM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    I can usually rip 10 CDs while I'm reading the morning news online and drinking coffee. 1 a day would have taken me 17 years.
    Gary,

Ha ha ... well you better get cracking!

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    Gary,

Ha ha ... well you better get cracking!

Paul
    I have about 700 or 800 to go.

dBpoweramp Guru

Gee whiz!

I think I better make a CD count of my own. Maybe I have more then my guesstimate 300? I mean, some of the Miles Davis box-sets are 6 x CDs each.

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Paul: The whole idea of using a PC is to rush the process!

(I kid. I trust that my FLAC files are written correctly, and have heard nothing so far to make me believe otherwise. However, I understand that some people want to be absolutely certain; that's why the option is there.)

I tend to rip 6 to 12 discs in a day, roughly once a week. I would do more, but, with very few exceptions, I find the album art available online to be unacceptable and decided early on to create my own by making scans of the CD booklets and processing them in Photoshop. That often takes longer than the rips.

dBpoweramp Guru

As long as you don't buy another few hundred, before ripping the rest!

dBpoweramp Guru

Schmidj,

Thanks a lot mate.

Many of my CD ('WMA' / 'mp3') collection skips and jumps randomly! I was told recently that I should not have use 'Windows Player' to rip them in the first place! And my rips do not often appear on my Walkman device because of poor 'tagging'. I have not ripped using 'Wav.' though.

I am interested to hear about your 'tagging'. I have some Japanese Imports (of Jazz CDs) and the tracks, obviously, appear in Japanese! I wondered if you thought, please, if I needed to go to great extents to achieve a reliable library-system? I mean, I only ever search for a song (on my PC pr Walkman) via 'Artist', 'Album', or ' Song'. So possible nothing as complex as your own system. And if so, then can I just leave everything 'as is', and l trust 'dBpa' to do all the donkey-work, please? I ripped a CD yesterday (see earlier screenshots) and as far as I could see it included all such data correctly.

Cheers,

Paul
    I've got a number of songs on my iPod, ripped with iTunes, that skip, go back to the start and are basically not an AccurateRip.

As most players can search by Genre, I do change to a grouping I understand, and limit the choice. Rock, Pop, Folk, Jazz, Classical, Blues, Punk, Comedy, Reggae, Electronic, and a few others. It only takes a few seconds. I also use Capitalize All, as it saves time, helps reduce errors, and gives the tags a standard look.

If you aren't already, rip the CDs at maximum speed, the drive will slow down itself, if struggling. Some CDs fly through at high x40 speeds, and some slow down to around x4. It's amazing see a CD fly through to give an AccurateRip.

I have ripped 30 - 40 CDs in a morning, but now unlikely for to do more than 10, in a session.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jailhouse View Post
    Paul: The whole idea of using a PC is to rush the process!

(I kid. I trust that my FLAC files are written correctly, and have heard nothing so far to make me believe otherwise. However, I understand that some people want to be absolutely certain; that's why the option is there.)

I tend to rip 6 to 12 discs in a day, roughly once a week. I would do more, but, with very few exceptions, I find the album art available online to be unacceptable and decided early on to create my own by making scans of the CD booklets and processing them in Photoshop. That often takes longer than the rips.
    Hi Jailhouse,

You really are very serious about the artwork factor! Wow. So you READ the liner notes on your music-player/device?

I always the sleeve notes (in the CD booklet) as I am interested in the Producer / Composer etc.

I am not going to bother with level '10' or 'uncompressed'. Will leave that to those who believe they were born with bionic-hearing!

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
    I've got a number of songs on my iPod, ripped with iTunes, that skip, go back to the start and are basically not an AccurateRip.

As most players can search by Genre, I do change to a grouping I understand, and limit the choice. Rock, Pop, Folk, Jazz, Classical, Blues, Punk, Comedy, Reggae, Electronic, and a few others. It only takes a few seconds. I also use Capitalize All, as it saves time, helps reduce errors, and gives the tags a standard look.

If you aren't already, rip the CDs at maximum speed, the drive will slow down itself, if struggling. Some CDs fly through at high x40 speeds, and some slow down to around x4. It's amazing see a CD fly through to give an AccurateRip.

I have ripped 30 - 40 CDs in a morning, but now unlikely for to do more than 10, in a session.
    Hi Oggy,

I would never consider NOT using AccurateRip again! We learn from our mistakes!

If you have a screenshot of how you TAG that would be very interesting, please. I may borrow some of your ideas.

I don't understand about the ripping-speeds I am afraid. It this a setting which needs to be configured within the PC? Or is it done via 'dBpa' s/w? I thought hat the faster it rips, the less accurate the end item will be?

Cheers,

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick;175250 I thought hat the faster it [I
    rips[/I], the less accurate the end item will be?

Cheers,

Paul
    no, incorrect. In fact, artificially limiting speed is more likely to cause problems. Let dbpa automatically control ripping speed and all is good.

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi Oggy,

I would never consider NOT using AccurateRip again! We learn from our mistakes!

If you have a screenshot of how you TAG that would be very interesting, please. I may borrow some of your ideas.

I don't understand about the ripping-speeds I am afraid. It this a setting which needs to be configured within the PC? Or is it done via 'dBpa' s/w? I thought hat the faster it rips, the less accurate the end item will be?

Cheers,

Paul
    Sorry, but I don't know how to do screenshots, but as a naming scheme, I use garym's.

The CD speed is set in CD Ripper Options, CD Rom, Ripping Speed (Maximum).

CD drives often perform better at faster speeds, an AccurateRip is an AccurateRip if it takes 2 minutes or twenty.

Regarding how I tag, garym's brilliant naming scheme and the excellent CD Ripper software does the hard work, the rest is mostly tagging logically, and consistently.

If you have a look at the dbarnby thread, Set-Up for Ripping, page 5. there is an explanation of how I would tag the double CD, The Wall.

This really shows my personal preferences, but is possible because of garym's naming scheme, and the consistent use of Album, Album Artist, Album, Year, Genre and Disc number Tags. A minute spent ensuring these are what you want, helps towards getting it right, first time.

Most of the default settings in dBpoweramp work very well, for the majority of people.
    Last edited by Oggy; 07-27-2017 at 07:26 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

no, incorrect. In fact, artificially limiting speed is more likely to cause problems. Let dbpa automatically control ripping speed and all is good.
    Gary,

So just leave things as they are and let 'dBpa' do its thing?

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Gary,

So just leave things as they are and let 'dBpa' do its thing?

Paul
    Yes. I don't know about brilliant, but this naming scheme automatically deals with compilations and multi discs. Keep in mind I have almost no classical. If I did, I'd likely be using composer in my naming.

[IFCOMP]Compilations\[album][IFMULTI]\Disc [disc][]\[track]-[title]-[artist][][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][]\[album][IFMULTI]\Disc [disc][]\[track]-[title][]
    See this thread.

https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthr...l=1*post174820
    Last edited by garym; 07-27-2017 at 07:32 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Cheers Gary,

I'll check it out in the morning mate.

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Yes. I don't know about brilliant, but this naming scheme automatically deals with compilations and multi discs. Keep in mind I have almost no classical. If I did, I'd likely be using composer in my naming.

See this thread.

https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthr...l=1*post174820
    It is certainly brilliant how it has saved time, and a big headache, for a lot of people. There has a number of very useful strings posted, yours is very elegant.

Out of interest, what would you use for Classical, using Composer?