title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

RE: Ripping Level Question (help?)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • monsterjazzlick
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Jul 2017

Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)

Originally posted by mville
    I'm not referring to your preference, which is of course, your choice. Rather the suggestion that foobar2000 cannot handle certain data. I use foobar2000 and it handles 1, 2, 3 artists and album artists etc. in the same way.

So, I am unclear as to what you mean by I prefer the way Foobar handles this data and I only have about 10 CDs where there is a shared ALBUM ARTIST
    Mville, My wrong - I misinterpreted your question. Yes, preference-wise, I do prefer not to use combo/duo ARTIST/ALBUM_ARTIST tags with a ',' or 'and'. And, since experimenting - in Foobar - with and without the ',' or 'and' combo/duo entry, the results were more pleasing. I much prefer Foobar without a combo/duo ALBUM_ARTIST and ARTIST entry. And so (to your question) Foobar did not quite produce the results I was expecting. This is what I was experimenting with yesterday (editing in EDIT-ID and seeing how the results were reflected in Foobar). I am not sure if I told you but I mainly use ARTIST (for searching) rather than ALBUM_ARTIST. I meant to reply sooner but I was trying to locate the exact thread where I uploaded some screenshots and mentioned this (I delete my screenshots off my PC when I am done with them). Anyway, the points are outlined in post *656 of:

should you care to glance. Thanks a lot.
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 10-07-2017, 03:43 PM. Reason: LINK

Comment

• garym
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Nov 2007

To summarize:

1. Get bit perfect rips in a lossless format.
      2. Organize the files in some way that makes sense to the user. (no one solution)
      3. Tag in a way that makes sense to user and that works with server/players. (no one solution)
      4. Repeat/modify step 3 to improve or change to new personal preferences until they take away our computers in the old folks home.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Jul 2017

Originally posted by garym
        To summarize:

1. Get bit perfect rips in a lossless format.
        2. Organize the files in some way that makes sense to the user. (no one solution)
        3. Tag in a way that makes sense to user and that works with server/players. (no one solution)
        4. Repeat/modify step 3 to improve or change to new personal preferences until they take away our computers in the old folks home.
        Cheers Gary, I tested the SD card on the Amazon running 'VLC' and everything appears to be organised very nicely. However, Foobar is far more of a wizard when it comes to the range of criteria it is able to search for. Paul

Comment

• garym
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by monsterjazzlick
          Cheers Gary, I tested the SD card on the Amazon running 'VLC' and everything appears to be organised very nicely. However, Foobar is far more of a wizard when it comes to the range of criteria it is able to search for. Paul
          Yes, foobar2000 is way more flexible and modifiable than any other player I'm aware of.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Jul 2017

Yes, foobar2000 is way more flexible and modifiable than any other player I'm aware of.
            It certainly is full of surprises. Very powerful for searching, I have to say.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Jul 2017

Hi,

I have now ripped a total of 200 CDs; which amounts to circa 70GB in size.

Cheers,

Paul

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Jul 2017

I will instead list: 'Herbie Hancock' as the ARTIST; and 'Miles Davis' as the ALBUM ARTIST.

I have done so and the CD has been placed in the Miles Davis folder.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1659[/ATTACH]
                Hi,

I am ripping a CD called: "Ella Fitzgerald Sings the Cole Porter Song Book"

Similar to the above (quote) "A Tribute To Miles Davis" CD (by the Herbie Hancock Quintet), would you list 'Cole Porter' as the ALBUM ARTIST (and Ella Fitzgerald as the ARTIST)? Cole Porter is not personally appearing on the recording, but the entire CD is of his music. The question for me is specifically: is this recording a dedication to Cole Porter (as was the clearly titled Miles Davis Tribute above)?

Paul
                Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 12-16-2017, 06:25 PM. Reason: LINK

Comment

• garym
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Nov 2007

[/INDENT]Hi,

I am ripping a CD called: "Ella Fitzgerald Sings the Cole Porter Song Book"
                  Similar to the above (quote) "A Tribute To Miles Davis" CD (by the Herbie Hancock Quintet), would you list 'Cole Porter' as the ALBUM ARTIST (and Ella Fitzgerald as the ARTIST)? Cole Porter is not personally appearing on the recording, but the entire CD is of his music. The question for me is specifically: is this recording a dedication to Cole Porter (as was the clearly titled Miles Davis Tribute above)?

Paul
                  I have that Ella CD. Excellent! If I have a compilation CD (many artists) doing a tribute to an artist or composer, I add the artist being honored as the ALBUM ARTIST. However, I didn't do this with the Ella CD because it is not many artists (not a compilation). I'd have Cole Porter in the composer tag, so any search for Cole Porter would pull up this album. If you want ALBUM ARTIST, I'd use Ella Fitzgerald. But of course you can do whatever makes sense to you.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Jul 2017

I have that Ella CD. Excellent! If I have a compilation CD (many artists) doing a tribute to an artist or composer, I add the artist being honored as the ALBUM ARTIST. However, I didn't do this with the Ella CD because it is not many artists (not a compilation). I'd have Cole Porter in the composer tag, so any search for Cole Porter would pull up this album. If you want ALBUM ARTIST, I'd use Ella Fitzgerald. But of course you can do whatever makes sense to you.
                    Gary,

It was not to tricky a CD to rip actually.

I did not rip it as a 'compilation' because the ARTIST is Ella Fitzgerald (though I also include the: Arranger/Conductor/Director 'Buddy Bergman' in the ARTIST field). Out of about 300 CDs (ripped so far), only 5 are 'compilations'. Typical criteria for me choosing to rip as a 'compilation' would be something like: "Best Soul Artists Of The 1970s", or "101 No.1 Hits From 1960-2000". But as I say, it seems I have relatively little in this regard.

I was not even going to rip the Ella CD (because I had finished with ripping my Jazz collection, as far as I was concerned). But then I noticed I have very little little (in FLAC format) containing Vocal Artists, so I thought I would bump up the amount.

Paul

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Jul 2017

Hi,

Earlier on in this thread it was discussed that certain bands/groups have the word 'The' placed at the end of their band name. eg:
                      Beatles, The

Monkees, The

Real Thing, The

I have changed these to the above format since.

But now I am thinking of modifying the titles of certain ALBUMS in the same respect.

I have (of Miles Davis):
                      The Complete Bitches Brew Sessions

The Complete On The Corner Sessions

The Complete In A Silent Way Sessions

Do I simply type into the ALBUM tag?:
                      Complete Bitches Brew Sessions, The

Complete On The Corner Sessions, The

Complete In A Silent Way Sessions, The

I notice there is an ALBUM SORT tag but this is not something I have used to date. And I am guessing/hoping it is not necessary here?

Many thanks,

Paul
                      Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 12-27-2017, 05:30 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• Jailhouse
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Sep 2016

If you want sorting by the text after "The", and you put "The" at the end in the ALBUM tag, you won't need the ALBUM SORT tag.

If you want to keep the album name as is but sort by the text after "The", you'll need to use the ALBUM SORT tag.

I don't see why this is necessary. Using my record store example, once you find The Beatles in the "B" section, all the albums will be there. It's the same in your FLAC library. For me, changing titles this way adds more work and makes the results more difficult to read quickly.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Jailhouse
                          If you want sorting by the text after "The", and you put "The" at the end in the ALBUM tag, you won't need the ALBUM SORT tag.

If you want to keep the album name as is but sort by the text after "The", you'll need to use the ALBUM SORT tag.

I don't see why this is necessary. Using my record store example, once you find The Beatles in the "B" section, all the albums will be there. It's the same in your FLAC library. For me, changing titles this way adds more work and makes the results more difficult to read quickly.
                          Hi JH,

I have quite a lot of albums starting with 'The'. Though I had not really considered changing anything until I was tagging a Miles Davis d/l I recently purchased.

I would never change the titles of songs in this way, though. eg:
                          The Power Of Love

Power Of Love, The

That would take me months to complete; and in any case, I rarely search for individual tracks. I only ever play an album from start to finish, as is. I could never work out what was so attractive about 'shuffle' mode when it first came out? I don't think I have ever even used it once!

Paul

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Jul 2017

I just tested it out. If I was to go with one of your suggestions, it would be the former.

Comment

• Jailhouse
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • Sep 2016

I only ever play an album from start to finish, as is. I could never work out what was so attractive about 'shuffle' mode when it first came out? I don't think I have ever even used it once!
                              While I haven't run foobar on anything but Random mode this year.

P.S. Options!

Comment

• Jailhouse
                                dBpoweramp Guru
                                • Sep 2016

I just tested it out. If I was to go with one of your suggestions, it would be the former.
                                It probably won't be a surprise to you that my real suggestion would be to leave the album titles as they are. But changing the ALBUM tag would be rather easier than dealing with yet another tag.

Comment

Working...

]]>