title
Products            Purchase            Codec Central            Forum & Support            Professional            About
  
Page 46 of 49 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast
Results 676 to 690 of 732

Thread: RE: Ripping Level Question (help?)

  1. #676
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wirral, UK
    Posts
    1,364

    Question Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)

    Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    I'm not referring to your preference, which is of course, your choice. Rather the suggestion that foobar2000 cannot handle certain data. I use foobar2000 and it handles 1, 2, 3 artists and album artists etc. in the same way.

    So, I am unclear as to what you mean by I prefer the way Foobar handles this data and I only have about 10 CDs where there is a shared ALBUM ARTIST
    Mville, My wrong - I misinterpreted your question. Yes, preference-wise, I do prefer not to use combo/duo ARTIST/ALBUM_ARTIST tags with a ',' or 'and'. And, since experimenting - in Foobar - with and without the ',' or 'and' combo/duo entry, the results were more pleasing. I much prefer Foobar without a combo/duo ALBUM_ARTIST and ARTIST entry. And so (to your question) Foobar did not quite produce the results I was expecting. This is what I was experimenting with yesterday (editing in EDIT-ID and seeing how the results were reflected in Foobar). I am not sure if I told you but I mainly use ARTIST (for searching) rather than ALBUM_ARTIST. I meant to reply sooner but I was trying to locate the exact thread where I uploaded some screenshots and mentioned this (I delete my screenshots off my PC when I am done with them). Anyway, the points are outlined in post *656 of:


    should you care to glance. Thanks a lot.
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 10-07-2017 at 10:43 AM. Reason: LINK

  2. #677
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    3,876

    Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)

    To summarize:

    1. Get bit perfect rips in a lossless format.
    2. Organize the files in some way that makes sense to the user. (no one solution)
    3. Tag in a way that makes sense to user and that works with server/players. (no one solution)
    4. Repeat/modify step 3 to improve or change to new personal preferences until they take away our computers in the old folks home.

  3. #678
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wirral, UK
    Posts
    1,364

    Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)

    Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    To summarize:

    1. Get bit perfect rips in a lossless format.
    2. Organize the files in some way that makes sense to the user. (no one solution)
    3. Tag in a way that makes sense to user and that works with server/players. (no one solution)
    4. Repeat/modify step 3 to improve or change to new personal preferences until they take away our computers in the old folks home.
    Cheers Gary, I tested the SD card on the Amazon running 'VLC' and everything appears to be organised very nicely. However, Foobar is far more of a wizard when it comes to the range of criteria it is able to search for. Paul

  4. #679
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    3,876

    Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)

    Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    Cheers Gary, I tested the SD card on the Amazon running 'VLC' and everything appears to be organised very nicely. However, Foobar is far more of a wizard when it comes to the range of criteria it is able to search for. Paul
    Yes, foobar2000 is way more flexible and modifiable than any other player I'm aware of.

  5. #680
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wirral, UK
    Posts
    1,364

    Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)

    Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Yes, foobar2000 is way more flexible and modifiable than any other player I'm aware of.
    It certainly is full of surprises. Very powerful for searching, I have to say.

  6. #681
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wirral, UK
    Posts
    1,364

    Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)

    Hi,

    I have now ripped a total of 200 CDs; which amounts to circa 70GB in size.

    Cheers,

    Paul

  7. #682
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wirral, UK
    Posts
    1,364

    Question Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)

    Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    I will instead list: 'Herbie Hancock' as the ARTIST; and 'Miles Davis' as the ALBUM ARTIST.


    I have done so and the CD has been placed in the Miles Davis folder.
    Hi,

    I am ripping a CD called: "Ella Fitzgerald Sings the Cole Porter Song Book"


    Similar to the above (quote) "A Tribute To Miles Davis" CD (by the Herbie Hancock Quintet), would you list 'Cole Porter' as the ALBUM ARTIST (and Ella Fitzgerald as the ARTIST)? Cole Porter is not personally appearing on the recording, but the entire CD is of his music. The question for me is specifically: is this recording a dedication to Cole Porter (as was the clearly titled Miles Davis Tribute above)?

    Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 12-16-2017 at 12:25 PM. Reason: LINK

  8. #683
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    3,876

    Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)

    Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    [/INDENT]Hi,

    I am ripping a CD called: "Ella Fitzgerald Sings the Cole Porter Song Book"

    Similar to the above (quote) "A Tribute To Miles Davis" CD (by the Herbie Hancock Quintet), would you list 'Cole Porter' as the ALBUM ARTIST (and Ella Fitzgerald as the ARTIST)? Cole Porter is not personally appearing on the recording, but the entire CD is of his music. The question for me is specifically: is this recording a dedication to Cole Porter (as was the clearly titled Miles Davis Tribute above)?

    Paul
    I have that Ella CD. Excellent! If I have a compilation CD (many artists) doing a tribute to an artist or composer, I add the artist being honored as the ALBUM ARTIST. However, I didn't do this with the Ella CD because it is not many artists (not a compilation). I'd have Cole Porter in the composer tag, so any search for Cole Porter would pull up this album. If you want ALBUM ARTIST, I'd use Ella Fitzgerald. But of course you can do whatever makes sense to you.

  9. #684
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wirral, UK
    Posts
    1,364

    Question Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)

    Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    I have that Ella CD. Excellent! If I have a compilation CD (many artists) doing a tribute to an artist or composer, I add the artist being honored as the ALBUM ARTIST. However, I didn't do this with the Ella CD because it is not many artists (not a compilation). I'd have Cole Porter in the composer tag, so any search for Cole Porter would pull up this album. If you want ALBUM ARTIST, I'd use Ella Fitzgerald. But of course you can do whatever makes sense to you.
    Gary,

    It was not to tricky a CD to rip actually.

    I did not rip it as a 'compilation' because the ARTIST is Ella Fitzgerald (though I also include the: Arranger/Conductor/Director 'Buddy Bergman' in the ARTIST field). Out of about 300 CDs (ripped so far), only 5 are 'compilations'. Typical criteria for me choosing to rip as a 'compilation' would be something like: "Best Soul Artists Of The 1970s", or "101 No.1 Hits From 1960-2000". But as I say, it seems I have relatively little in this regard.

    I was not even going to rip the Ella CD (because I had finished with ripping my Jazz collection, as far as I was concerned). But then I noticed I have very little little (in FLAC format) containing Vocal Artists, so I thought I would bump up the amount.

    Paul

  10. #685
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wirral, UK
    Posts
    1,364

    Question Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)

    Hi,

    Earlier on in this thread it was discussed that certain bands/groups have the word 'The' placed at the end of their band name. eg:

    Beatles, The

    Monkees, The

    Real Thing, The

    I have changed these to the above format since.

    But now I am thinking of modifying the titles of certain ALBUMS in the same respect.

    I have (of Miles Davis):

    The Complete Bitches Brew Sessions

    The Complete On The Corner Sessions

    The Complete In A Silent Way Sessions

    Do I simply type into the ALBUM tag?:

    Complete Bitches Brew Sessions, The

    Complete On The Corner Sessions, The

    Complete In A Silent Way Sessions, The

    I notice there is an ALBUM SORT tag but this is not something I have used to date. And I am guessing/hoping it is not necessary here?

    Many thanks,

    Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 12-27-2017 at 11:30 AM. Reason: spelling

  11. #686
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    369

    Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)

    If you want sorting by the text after "The", and you put "The" at the end in the ALBUM tag, you won't need the ALBUM SORT tag.

    If you want to keep the album name as is but sort by the text after "The", you'll need to use the ALBUM SORT tag.

    I don't see why this is necessary. Using my record store example, once you find The Beatles in the "B" section, all the albums will be there. It's the same in your FLAC library. For me, changing titles this way adds more work and makes the results more difficult to read quickly.

  12. #687
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wirral, UK
    Posts
    1,364

    Question Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)

    Quote Originally Posted by Jailhouse View Post
    If you want sorting by the text after "The", and you put "The" at the end in the ALBUM tag, you won't need the ALBUM SORT tag.

    If you want to keep the album name as is but sort by the text after "The", you'll need to use the ALBUM SORT tag.

    I don't see why this is necessary. Using my record store example, once you find The Beatles in the "B" section, all the albums will be there. It's the same in your FLAC library. For me, changing titles this way adds more work and makes the results more difficult to read quickly.
    Hi JH,

    I have quite a lot of albums starting with 'The'. Though I had not really considered changing anything until I was tagging a Miles Davis d/l I recently purchased.

    I would never change the titles of songs in this way, though. eg:

    The Power Of Love

    Power Of Love, The

    That would take me months to complete; and in any case, I rarely search for individual tracks. I only ever play an album from start to finish, as is. I could never work out what was so attractive about 'shuffle' mode when it first came out? I don't think I have ever even used it once!

    Paul

  13. #688
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wirral, UK
    Posts
    1,364

    Question Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)

    Quote Originally Posted by Jailhouse View Post
    If you want sorting by the text after "The", and you put "The" at the end in the ALBUM tag, you won't need the ALBUM SORT tag.

    If you want to keep the album name as is but sort by the text after "The", you'll need to use the ALBUM SORT tag.
    I just tested it out. If I was to go with one of your suggestions, it would be the former.

  14. #689
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    369

    Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)

    Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    I only ever play an album from start to finish, as is. I could never work out what was so attractive about 'shuffle' mode when it first came out? I don't think I have ever even used it once!
    While I haven't run foobar on anything but Random mode this year.

    P.S. Options!

  15. #690
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    369

    Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)

    Quote Originally Posted by Jailhouse View Post
    If you want sorting by the text after "The", and you put "The" at the end in the ALBUM tag, you won't need the ALBUM SORT tag.

    If you want to keep the album name as is but sort by the text after "The", you'll need to use the ALBUM SORT tag.
    Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    I just tested it out. If I was to go with one of your suggestions, it would be the former.
    It probably won't be a surprise to you that my real suggestion would be to leave the album titles as they are. But changing the ALBUM tag would be rather easier than dealing with yet another tag.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Copyright 2018 Illustrate. All Rights Reserved.