title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

RE: Ripping Level Question (help?)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • monsterjazzlick
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Jul 2017

Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)

Originally posted by garym
    I was never actually a WMP user. But I always had it on my windows machines by default. And unfortunately, I discovered that just accidentally opening the program (with all its settings at default) could access my music files and do stuff to them, particularly with regard to art and ID tags. In all my recent windows installs, I never finalize the WMP setup, so even if I accidentally try to open it, it tells me that I need to "set it up" (and of course by then I can exit the program).
    Gary, Oh dear, you mean just opening WMP causes your music-files to be manipulated? I had no idea of that. I hate the damn thing but can't uninstall it because its woven into Windows Essentials. I have DISABLED it though:

Click image for larger version

Name:	media_1.png
Views:	1
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	293553

My work PC has something called Groove-Music on it, and my home PC CyberLink:

Click image for larger version

Name:	media_2.png
Views:	1
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	293554

CyberLink plays videos so I am not sure if is disabled it I would need to replace it?

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Oggy
      If my files are compatible with most, and hopefully all players, it keeps things simple, and saves time and effort, if I change my player in the future. Folder.jpg is widely recognised.
      Oggy, OK, best to keep things plain and simple then. Paul

Comment

• garym
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by monsterjazzlick
        Gary, Oh dear, you mean just opening WMP causes your music-files to be manipulated? I had no idea of that. I hate the damn thing but can't uninstall it because its woven into Windows Essentials. I have DISABLED it though:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1613[/ATTACH]

My work PC has something called Groove-Music on it, and my home PC CyberLink:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1614[/ATTACH]

CyberLink plays videos so I am not sure if is disabled it I would need to replace it?
        dont have either so can't comment.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Jul 2017

Then again, I can track the number of albums I have just from info reported by my music server. As of today it is:
          7170 albums with 96250 songs by 13629 artists.

I only have 2,086 artists if I count only artists for which I have at least one album. The other 11,053 artists are artists that only show up on a compilation CD (maybe only one song) and do NOT otherwise have an album in my collection.
          Hi Gary, I just made a rough count of my hard-copy collection. It DID only take only two minutes! I have circa: 500 titles. And so you are confident that I will have more than enough GB space so as to store the entire CD collection (as FLAC) on my 1TB home PC, please? Paul
          Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 08-27-2017, 04:45 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• jultsu
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
            • Mar 2016

A very rough estimate is 500MB per CD at FLAC quality. That would give only 250GB for 500 cd's, given that there are no multiple-disc titles in there.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Jul 2017

Originally posted by jultsu
              A very rough estimate is 500MB per CD at FLAC quality. That would give only 250GB for 500 cd's, given that there are no multiple-disc titles in there.
              Hi there Jultsu, I appreciate your input. Yes, I dare say 500MB = 1 x single CD. I have about 20 x double CDs and about 10 x boxsets. Cheers, Paul

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Jul 2017

As a percentage, how many discs are having frames, re-ripped, around his many frames, and are they in a consistent part of the CD?

Scratches and defects are a pain, where one drive is not always the best, on every track, from a single CD, so having a few to choose from, will speed up your ripping, and hopefully give you less tracks with errors.

I reckon the percentage of CDs, I have ripped, which didn't achieve an AccurateRip, on every track, at around 3-5%.
                Hi Oggy, I have just started to experience some ripping errors on my home PC this afternoon. Again, it is always the last two tracks; and dBpa then has to rip in frames. Cheers, Paul
                Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 08-27-2017, 06:06 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• Oggy
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Apr 2015

Hi Oggy, I have just started to experience some ripping errors on my home PC this afternoon. Again, it is always the last two tracks; and dBpa then has to rip in frames. Cheers, Paul
                  Hi Paul,

If it's a full size drive, you may be able to clean the lens, and runners, which may help. When it comes to ripping, a spare drive, or two, can often save the day.

Apart from ensuring the CD is scrupulously clean, try another drive.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Jul 2017

If it's a full size drive, you may be able to clean the lens, and runners, which may help. When it comes to ripping, a spare drive, or two, can often save the day.

Apart from ensuring the CD is scrupulously clean, try another drive.
                    Cheers Oggy, Yes, it's either the lens, the CD, or both. Thanks, Paul

Comment

• garym
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Nov 2007

Cheers Oggy, Yes, it's either the lens, the CD, or both. Thanks, Paul
                      Sometimes it is none of the above (well, the CD, but not a scratch but just a manufacturing defect or something), and just something odd. This is why several of us have mentioned that having a few cheap drives around that you can connect to your ripping PC (via USB/firewire or some other way) will often save the day. I've had CDs that wouldn't ever finish ripping (1000s of bad frames0 on one drive and ripped quickly with accuraterip match on a different drive).

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Jul 2017

Sometimes it is none of the above (well, the CD, but not a scratch but just a manufacturing defect or something), and just something odd. This is why several of us have mentioned that having a few cheap drives around that you can connect to your ripping PC (via USB/firewire or some other way) will often save the day. I've had CDs that wouldn't ever finish ripping (1000s of bad frames0 on one drive and ripped quickly with accuraterip match on a different drive).
                        Hi, Yes, it's probably worth me investing in a second drive. But then do you have to start re-configuring very much within dBpa, please? Like at the very start when you have scan/test the drives suitability/location (call it what you may). Paul

Comment

• garym
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Nov 2007

Hi, Yes, it's probably worth me investing in a second drive. But then do you have to start re-configuring very much within dBpa, please? Like at the very start when you have scan/test the drives suitability/location (call it what you may). Paul
                          Yep, only the drive recognition part. So it takes about 3 minutes. The other stuff stays the same and you don't have to re-enter anything. And you can choose the drive you want to use from the dropdown menu in the lower left of the ripping screen (where your profile is).

Comment

• Jailhouse
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Sep 2016

Are you doing this using the, Audio Info, codec?
                            No, I manually type in the artist/title info as I rip the CDs. I will try the Audio Info codec at some point, though.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • Jul 2017

Yep, only the drive recognition part. So it takes about 3 minutes. The other stuff stays the same and you don't have to re-enter anything. And you can choose the drive you want to use from the dropdown menu in the lower left of the ripping screen (where your profile is).
                              OK, thanks. If I get one I can try it out! Paul

Comment

• Jailhouse
                                dBpoweramp Guru
                                • Sep 2016

Hi JH, thanks a lot. If I wanted to make the appropriate setting (ie. 'album title') within dBpa then would it need to change as per screenshot:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1612[/ATTACH]

However, if it seems to be all working OK - as it does at the moment - with 'folder.jpeg', then would you let sleeping dogs lie? I mean, would I be gaining very much by switching to '[filename].jpeg', please? And is it going to be a big job amending all of the rips I have made so far? Thanks, Paul
                                I haven't tried the setting, but I think it would work.

However, I'm with Gary when it comes to the art filenames; don't bother the dogs. Use the same name for every file. And should you want to change from Folder.jpg to Cover.jpg, do it while you have a small number of changes to make. (Incidentally, if you have both of those set in the list of possible names in foobar, it will find either one. So if you happen to miss changing a file name, you'll still see your art.)
                                Last edited by Jailhouse; 08-27-2017, 11:36 PM. Reason: Added verbiage

Comment

Working...

]]>