title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 39 of 50 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Thread: RE: Ripping Level Question (help?)

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)

Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    Yes, this is where I am at at the moment! All spare time is spent ripping and posting on this forum. Not that I don't love posting questions and chatting, but it would be nice, one day, to actually LISTEN to one of my hard earned FLACs! Paul
    It is off-topic though and doesn't follow forum guidelines. IMO, it would be more appropriate to chat in the correct forum maybe, the How Do I or General forums i.e. under, how I like to tag my audio library, not in this forum, which is help/support on Illustrate's CDRipper app.

... Maybe Spoon could add a new forum for tagging preference discussions.
    Last edited by mville; 09-10-2017 at 07:40 AM. Reason: suggestion for Spoon

dBpoweramp Guru

Ha ha, you can always rely on the British citizens for a good old moan!
    Not to mention us Yanks.

dBpoweramp Guru

Question Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)

Hi,

I have an album ("Woodstock Jazz Festival - Vol. 1") of which I am really stuck on how to tag the Artist and Album Artist, please?

The ensemble is something on an all-star/super-group - formed exclusively for this concert. Therefore, there is no LEADER, as such. If I was going to include an Artist tag then would I write:

Chick Corea / Jack DeJhonette / Lee Konitz / Miroslav Vitous

Personally, I think that would be quite long! I normally use either one or two Artists here:

eg. 'Miles Davis & Keith Jarrett'

I was considering writing: 'Various'; but this might give rise to unforeseen issues?

Secondly, "Woodstock Jazz Festival - Vol. 2" features the second part of the concert, on a separate CD. Here, the band is augmented with Pat Metheny and others. All four artists of "Woodstock Jazz Festival - Vol. 1" remain in place:

For Album Artist (on both volumes) I was thinking of using Jack DeJonette because he was the Founder of Woodstock Jazz Festival, and also he is playing on both CD's. But I am not sure if this would be the wisest choice?

Many thanks,

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

I would handle this as a compilation and delete the album artist (as I do for all compilations).

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Guru

This question is like asking what the best flavor of ice cream is. There really is no answer. Which of the options that you lay out makes the most sense to you. For myself, when faced with this sort of thing, I pick a major artist in the group that I want to make sure the album shows up under when I browse, make them the ALBUM ARTIST, then add the long listing of players into the COMMENT tag, so that I have a record of it.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Ei View Post
    I would handle this as a compilation and delete the album artist (as I do for all compilations).

Dat Ei
    If I used this option (and I might), I'd then put this in ARTIST tag (so it would show up under all them)

Chick Corea;Jack DeJhonette;Lee Konitz;Miroslav Vitous

dBpoweramp Guru

Dat Ei,

Thanks a lot.

I am using the 'compilation' format for something else - slightly different. And so I don't really want to use it for more than one specific task. But I can totally see where you are coming from.

Cheers.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    This question is like asking what the best flavor of ice cream is. There really is no answer. Which of the options that you lay out makes the most sense to you. For myself, when faced with this sort of thing, I pick a major artist in the group that I want to make sure the album shows up under when I browse, make them the ALBUM ARTIST, then add the long listing of players into the COMMENT tag, so that I have a record of it.
    Gary,

In that case, I think I will make Jack DeJhonette the Album Artist and Chick Corea the Artist. The former is the founder of the WJF event, and the latter appears on every track, as well as composing significant material.

I would prefer to avoid having long lists of personnel. As I say, I use one or two (max.) band-members in the Artist/Album-Artist fields.

3 more discs to go and I will have ripped all Miles and Corea!

Many thanks,

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    If I used this option (and I might), I'd then put this in ARTIST tag (so it would show up under all them)

Chick Corea;Jack DeJhonette;Lee Konitz;Miroslav Vitous
    I second this. In Paul's case this is a serial of albums ("Woodstock Jazz Festival - Vol. xx) with changing artists. The single albums are kept together in one folder ('compilations') and not distributed over several artist's Folders.

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Guru

I second this. In Paul's case this is a serial of albums ("Woodstock Jazz Festival - Vol. xx) with changing artists. The single albums are kept together in one folder ('compilations') and not distributed over several artist's Folders.
    Hi Dat Ei,

I may have done this method, but I have already ripped a few 'Volume' type albums now and am a bit reluctant to change method.I see your logic though and I would have followed this had I have just been starting out.

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

... a few weeks ago I was actually thinking of putting any 'Vol. 1' and 'Vol. 2' albums together. For instance:

"Chick Corea Piano Improvisations Vol. 1" and "Chick Corea Piano Improvisations Vol. 2"

would become:

"Chick Corea Piano Improvisations Vol. 1 & 2"

So instead of two albums each of 12 x tracks, you would have one album of 24 x tracks. But I decided against this in the end.

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Don't get me wrong. In case of Chick Coreas albums my folder structure would look like:

Music
    - Chick Corea
    -- Chick Corea Piano Improvisations Vol. 1
    -- Chick Corea Piano Improvisations Vol. 2

And in case of the Woodstock albums:

Music
    - Compilations
    -- Woodstock Jazz Festival - Vol. 1
    -- Woodstock Jazz Festival - Vol. 2

So in both cases the albums would be side a side - in case one with a real album artist in the top level folder of the album artist, and in case two with mixed album artists in top level folder 'Compilations'.

But there are plenty of ways leading to Rome... Find your own one!

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Guru

Don't get me wrong. In case of Chick Coreas albums my folder structure would look like:

Music
    - Chick Corea
    -- Chick Corea Piano Improvisations Vol. 1
    -- Chick Corea Piano Improvisations Vol. 2

And in case of the Woodstock albums:

Music
    - Compilations
    -- Woodstock Jazz Festival - Vol. 1
    -- Woodstock Jazz Festival - Vol. 2

So in both cases the albums would be side a side - in case one with a real album artist in the top level folder of the album artist, and in case two with mixed album artists in top level folder 'Compilations'.
    Hi Dat Ei,

Well I will see how I get along. I am not sure how often, in my personal collection, this scenario will turn up. But I do know that the next CD I am about to rip will also fall under (perhaps in your in your eyes also) a 'compilation. I will post shortly ...

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi,

This album features four trios, each playing two tracks (totalling eight tracks):

The name of the album is (rather thoughtlessly!) the name of each pianist:

"Chick Corea, Herbie Hancock, Keith Jarrett, McCoy Tyner"

How, please, might one approach the tagging of such an album; in terms of Artist, Album Artist and Compilation?

The material features work which is either previously unissued, or else otherwise issued on (separate) albums by their respective Artists.

I still interpret the CD as being complete as whole because the title does not include terms such as 'Best Of', 'Collection', or similar.

Cheers,

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 09-22-2017 at 01:38 PM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

I have an album ("Woodstock Jazz Festival - Vol. 1") of which I am really stuck on how to tag the Artist and Album Artist, please?
    If Wikipedia is correct, Corea is the only one of the four who played on all four tracks. Vitous and DeJohnette played bass and drums, respectively, on tracks 1 and 2, and Konitz played sax on tracks 3 and 4. For that reason, I would make "Chick Corea" the album artist. For the Artist tags, I would list Corea, Vitous, and DeJohnette for the first two tracks, and Corea and Konitz for the other two. The album would therefore be listed with my other "Chick Corea" albums, while the actual lineup for each track would be displayed on-screen during playback.