Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
I've done ABX tests (double blind tests) using foobar2000 player and its ABX component, and I typically can't detect any difference between a mp3 file (ripped with a decent program) and the FLAC (original CD). This is almost always true at 192kb or above. Mostly true at 160kbs or above. I can often (but not always) pick out the lossy mp3 at 128kbs.
p.s. I don't rip to FLAC because I think I can hear differences between a good mp3 and FLAC. I do it because FLAC is lossless....rip once, rip right. And just a comfort level knowing that I have bit perfect copies of the CDs. I made the mistake years ago of ripping about 5,000 CDs to lossy mp3 when I didn't know any better. I'm almost done reripping them to FLAC.
Cheers Gary,

That's interesting!

I made the same mistake in 2007 of using 'Windows Media Player' to rip circa: 300 x CDs. I went with the deafaut format which was 'WMA'. Now, I keep finding that every other album has - usually - 1 x track which is corrupted! Everyone now tells me I should have never used 'Windows Media Player'; but at the time I did not know any better.

Do I need to check the 'Verify' box, please? (see attach.).

flac2.png

Thanks,

Paul