title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central
 
Page 23 of 50 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
Results 331 to 345 of 738

Thread: RE: Ripping Level Question (help?)

  1. #331
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wirral, UK
    Posts
    1,660

    Question Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)

    Hi,

    It's very weird. I tried a few different things over the past hour. I think it may be related to one of two things:

    Firstly, it worked fine (ie. the artwork appeared in Foobar without me having to PLAY the tracks first) when - via PerfectTUNES - I replaced the artwork with an equivalent substitute image. But, the replacement replaced both disc-1 and disc-2 covers (making them both the same).

    Secondly, usually, when I have ripped a CD and, for whatever reason, re-insert the CD (eg. at a later date) and open up dBpa, the s/w REMEMBERS all of the tagging, composers, dates, comments, etc, exactly as I had edited them during the most recent rip. This is true for all CDs ripped to date, including disc-2 of: 'Miles Davis Live At The Philharmonic'. However, strangely, for some reason the s/w refuses to remember the data for disc-1 of this double-CD?!:

    Art_8.png

    I have tried ripping disc-1 three times now and get the same result of the s/w defaulting back to whatever (incorrect trash!) it originally was.

    Many thanks.
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 08-15-2017 at 06:19 PM. Reason: spelling

  2. #332
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wirral, UK
    Posts
    1,660

    Question Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)

    ... the problematic disc-1 folder looks fine to me?:

    Art_9.png

  3. #333
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    4,445

    Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)

    Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    Hi,

    It's very weird. I tried a few different things over the past hour. I think it may be related to one of two things:

    Firstly, it worked fine (ie. the artwork appeared in Foobar without me having to PLAY the tracks first) when - via PerfectTUNES - I replaced the artwork with an equivalent substitute image. But, the replacement replaced both disc-1 and disc-2 covers (making them both the same).

    Secondly, usually, when I have ripped a CD and, for whatever reason, re-insert the CD (eg. at a later date) and open up dBpa, the s/w REMEMBERS all of the tagging, composers, dates, comments, etc, exactly as I had edited them during the most recent rip. This is true for all CDs ripped to date, including disc-2 of: 'Miles Davis Live At The Philharmonic'. However, strangely, for some reason the s/w refuses to remember the data for disc-1 of this double-CD?!:

    Art_8.png

    I have tried ripping disc-1 three times now and get the same result of the s/w defaulting back to whatever (incorrect trash!) it originally was.

    Many thanks.
    So problem solved. Disk 1 data is correct when you rip it (and manually enter correct data)? (no need to try to rerip if correct after first rip). And artwork is OK after you replaced?

  4. #334
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wirral, UK
    Posts
    1,660

    Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)

    Hi, OK, the problem is - somehow - definitely 100% relating to me having more than one pieces of artwork for a recording. I have a piece of artwork for disc-1 (and saved in the disc-1 folder), and a different piece of artwork for disc-2 (and saved the disc-2 folder). I have tried this with three different double-CD recordings now, and the same thing happens with each. Now, I am not sure if this is the behavior of Foobar or not because I do not have another device to test it on here. But as I say, more than one image per CD is clearly causing something to go adrift. Cheers,
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 08-15-2017 at 07:09 PM. Reason: spelling

  5. #335
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    4,445

    Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)

    Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    Hi, OK, the problem is - somehow - definitely 100% relating to me having more than one pieces of artwork for a recording. I have a piece of artwork for disc-1 (and saved in the disc-1 folder), and a different piece of artwork for disc-2 (and saved the disc-2 folder). I have tried this with three different double-CD recordings now, and the same thing happens with each. Now, I am not sure if this is the behavior of Foobar or not because I do not have another device to test it on here. But as I say, more than one image per CD is clearly causing something to go adrift. Cheers,
    I played with this a bit (but didn't test exhaustively). It seems that in my foobar2000 setup, if I have a multidisk CD (album same name, with disc tags, 1, 2, 3 etc.) and I click on just the album title in the top listing in foobar, no art shows up. But if I click on a track (no need to actually play), then the artwork shows up. This is true whether i have the same or different art across the multiple discs.

    Compare this to a single disc CD. Just clicking on the album name shows the art. No need to select a track. In all cases, my art is a single file within each DISC folder, named "cover.jpg".

    Perhaps the reason is that with a single disc, foobar knows exactly which art to choose for the album. But with multiple discs (and an artwork file in each of the separate disc folders), foobar doesn't know which one to automatically display at the album level because it sees that there are (in my 3 disk case) 3 different art files. Once I click on a track, foobar is no longer confused as there is only one art file associated with that track (the one in that particular disc folder).

  6. #336
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    387

    Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)

    Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    Hi, OK, the problem is - somehow - definitely 100% relating to me having more than one pieces of artwork for a recording. I have a piece of artwork for disc-1 (and saved in the disc-1 folder), and a different piece of artwork for disc-2 (and saved the disc-2 folder). I have tried this with three different double-CD recordings now, and the same thing happens with each. Now, I am not sure if this is the behavior of Foobar or not because I do not have another device to test it on here. But as I say, more than one image per CD is clearly causing something to go adrift. Cheers,
    I think I saw you mention elsewhere something about having embedded art, but here you say you're using external art. If you have both, foobar is probably set to prefer embedded art. This is in Advanced Settings:

    Embedded or External Art.jpg

    I prefer external because I don't knowingly have embedded art and probably don't want it if it exists. Options!

  7. #337
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wirral, UK
    Posts
    1,660

    Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)

    Thanks a lot guys. I will have another test in the morning. Cheers.

  8. #338
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wirral, UK
    Posts
    1,660

    Question Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)

    Quote Originally Posted by Jailhouse View Post
    I think I saw you mention elsewhere something about having embedded art, but here you say you're using external art. If you have both, foobar is probably set to prefer embedded art. This is in Advanced Settings:

    Embedded or External Art.jpg

    I prefer external because I don't knowingly have embedded art and probably don't want it if it exists. Options!
    Thanks JH, that was a good suggestion. Mine was actually set to "Prefer Larger" (it must be this by default):

    Art_10.png

    I tried switching to the other two, but the artwork issue remains. If I had my Sony Walkman here I could test it out on that (because these results may only be occurring in Foobar). And so I think I will have to hold-fire with the double-CD ripping until I get it back. Then, if it works OK on there, I will know that the issue lies in Foobar. Paul.
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 08-16-2017 at 09:06 AM. Reason: spelling

  9. #339
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wirral, UK
    Posts
    1,660

    Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)

    Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    I played with this a bit (but didn't test exhaustively). It seems that in my foobar2000 setup, if I have a multidisk CD (album same name, with disc tags, 1, 2, 3 etc.) and I click on just the album title in the top listing in foobar, no art shows up. But if I click on a track (no need to actually play), then the artwork shows up. This is true whether i have the same or different art across the multiple discs.

    Compare this to a single disc CD. Just clicking on the album name shows the art. No need to select a track. In all cases, my art is a single file within each DISC folder, named "cover.jpg".

    Perhaps the reason is that with a single disc, foobar knows exactly which art to choose for the album. But with multiple discs (and an artwork file in each of the separate disc folders), foobar doesn't know which one to automatically display at the album level because it sees that there are (in my 3 disk case) 3 different art files. Once I click on a track, foobar is no longer confused as there is only one art file associated with that track (the one in that particular disc folder).
    Hi Gary, Yes, that is 100% exactly what happens to me! Had you not noticed this before? Probably not if you have 1,000s of recordings! Will you be trying to rectify the issue, or will you just leave it as it is, please? Cheers, Paul.
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 08-16-2017 at 09:10 AM. Reason: spelling

  10. #340
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    4,445

    Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)

    Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    Hi Gary, Yes, that is 100% exactly what happens to me! Had you not noticed this before? Probably not if you have 1,000s of recordings! Will you be trying to rectify the issue, or will you just leave it as it is, please? Cheers, Paul.
    never noticed it. won't be trying to fix (not sure even possible). Not sure it's even an error (that is, how would foobar know which of the many artworks you want to show when you click on the album name, yet multiple artworks are associated with that single album name?) I'd say the way foobar handles it is actually the best approach...that is waiting until you click on a track so it can apply the artwork associated with that disc/track.

  11. #341
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wirral, UK
    Posts
    1,660

    Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)

    Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    never noticed it. won't be trying to fix (not sure even possible). Not sure it's even an error (that is, how would foobar know which of the many artworks you want to show when you click on the album name, yet multiple artworks are associated with that single album name?) I'd say the way foobar handles it is actually the best approach...that is waiting until you click on a track so it can apply the artwork associated with that disc/track.
    Gary, OK, fair enough. I will leave it then. Cheers.

  12. #342
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wirral, UK
    Posts
    1,660

    Question Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)

    Hi,

    I have been trying to rip a CD for about an hour now. The final track just won't complete. First, dBpa kept looping stating: 'ultra secure' (it tried about 8 of these! And now it it ripping in: 'Frames'?:

    secure.png

    I tried taking out the CD and wiping it. There are no scratches. First time this has happened.

    Thanks,

    Paul

  13. #343
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wirral, UK
    Posts
    1,660

    Question Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)

    UPDATE: It has just managed to rip it (I think?):

    secure_2.png

    Cheers,

    Paul

  14. #344
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    4,445

    Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)

    Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    Hi,

    I have been trying to rip a CD for about an hour now. The final track just won't complete. First, dBpa kept looping stating: 'ultra secure' (it tried about 8 of these! And now it it ripping in: 'Frames'?:

    secure.png

    I tried taking out the CD and wiping it. There are no scratches. First time this has happened.

    Thanks,

    Paul
    It happens. Rereading frames us normal. I've had CDs take over an hour to rip. Clean the cd can help. Often I can simply try another drive. Some CDs that won't rip in one drive will rip in another. These don't need to be fancy. Sometimes an old drive pulled from a junked computer will rip a cd that my new modern drive won't handle.

  15. #345
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wirral, UK
    Posts
    1,660

    Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)

    Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    It happens. Rereading frames us normal. I've had CDs take over an hour to rip. Clean the cd can help. Often I can simply try another drive. Some CDs that won't rip in one drive will rip in another. These don't need to be fancy. Sometimes an old drive pulled from a junked computer will rip a cd that my new modern drive won't handle.
    Cheers Gary, I did actually notice some slight blemishing on the CD when I looked closer. I only have 1 PC so no options for another drive, I am afraid. Paul

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •