title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: John Hiatt (2014) Terms Of My Surrender - Hidden First Track

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

John Hiatt (2014) Terms Of My Surrender - Hidden First Track

John Hiatt (2014) Terms Of My Surrender -

Indicated an unnamed hidden first track, I have tried several times unsuccessfully to rip it. All I get is garbage. My Oppo 103 & Oppo 105 will not play it. Has anyone been more successful than I have fooling with it? How did you accomplish the rip?

Thank You

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: John Hiatt (2014) Terms Of My Surrender - Hidden First Track

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Wright View Post
    John Hiatt (2014) Terms Of My Surrender -

Indicated an unnamed hidden first track, I have tried several times unsuccessfully to rip it. All I get is garbage. My Oppo 103 & Oppo 105 will not play it. Has anyone been more successful than I have fooling with it? How did you accomplish the rip?

Thank You
    I haven't tried to rip this track, or even realised that HTOA is still occasionally going on. Some CDs with HTOA are relatively easy to rip, whilst others are a pain, and extremely CD drive dependent.

Blur, Think Tank, has a hidden track, that seemed fairly easy to rip, but I struggled with David Gray, White Ladder.

If you look up the thread, Best DVD drive for reading scratched discs - TEST RESULTS ON-GOING you can see the drive that worked for me. As the warning says, the ability to rip depends on the CD drive, and many have found this to be very true.

Just because the Pioneer drive ripped the David Gray track OK, there is no guarantee that it would rip the John Hiatt (great artist!) CD.

Thank you for your help, I've recently become slightly more philosophical about hidden first tracks. This may be marketing trick I believe anything on a CD sold to play should just "play". Hidden tracks are childish BS. I have 24 John Hiatt CDs and that should make me a loyal customer, I'm entitled to all the tracks on a CD, I payed for the CD.

> no guarantee that it would rip the John Hiatt (great artist!) CD.

If you like John Haitt may I suggest "2000 - Rollin' into Memphis; Songs of John Hiatt (Telarc)" which is a collection of other performers covering John Haitt's creations. In particular I enjoy Odetta's "Listening to Old Voices" on the CD which stands up well to repeated listenings; and anything Telarc does is always well recorded.

dBpoweramp Guru

Thanks for the recommendation, 24 is serious fan! I've just got 3 LPs from the '80's. Rollin' Into Memphis - one was Riding With The King. He's come a long way in 17 years!

HTOA is a real pain, and I cannot see why such an established artist would do this.
    Last edited by Oggy; 07-26-2017 at 04:59 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

I only have 13 of his CDs. Great stuff. Seen him live 5 or 6 times over last 10 or 12 years. And I agree that HTOA is nonsense!

Oggy> Thanks for the recommendation, 24 is serious fan!

I don't know that John Hiatt ever made a bad CD? If I like a recording artist I tend to own their whole catalog. I'm somewhere near 3,000 CDs and I am particular what CDs I buy.

Oggy> He's come a long way in 17 years!

1974 Hangin' Around the Observatory -oldest CD

2014 Terms of My Surrender - newest CD

That's 40 years of performing!