title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: How to transcode high pitch in voice mp3 speech files to opus

How to transcode high pitch in voice mp3 speech files to opus

Hi I am Rupesh from India. I have some mp3 files which are speeches recorded by someone at 32 kbps to 64 kbps and sample rate varying from 28 kHz to 40 khz. I think that they have transcoded to mp3 using some batch encoder from high quality original files and they are distributing freely through net.

Some of the files are good at quality I mean I am able to hear what the person is speaking in original files and the transcoded files. When listening to some original and transcoded files I am not able to hear what the person is speakingI mean the pitch is very low. For some source files itself the pitch is very high and I am not able to hear the person's speech.

At present I am using dbpoweramp 16.2 and in options I have selected opus with 24 kbps vbr and after that I have added dsps channel count set to 1, channel mapping set to 1 ie., mono, resample set to 48000. In channel mapping there is an option to select loudness and I have selected 10.4 decibels.

Upon converting files using above options when I listen to transcoded files I am not able to hear the persons voice properly I mean there is sudden raise in pitch, frequencies.

I have copied all the mp3 files which are having the above properties to a separate directory.Another interesting fact is that these mp3 files are pure speeches without any instruments like guitar, violin, piano etc.,.

I am new to concepts like equalizer, replaygain etc,Can you suggest how to obtain pure voice from the source files and maintaining same volume to the total file and if possible to whole volume.

Are there any options to obtain pure voice without high pitch, noise etc.,.Is aac encoding is better than opus for such issues.

Regards,
    Rupesh.
    Last edited by rupeshforu3; 07-12-2017 at 01:23 PM.

Administrator

Re: How to transcode high pitch in voice mp3 speech files to opus

Pitch does not change when using mp3/aac/opus. If the source files have the pitch change, then the transcoded files will have also, you can decode a file to wave to test what it sounds like.

dBpoweramp has no options for changing pitch.

There are many options in dsps like replaygain,replaygain apply,volume normalize,fade etc.,. I can't understand these terms and so can you suggest the combination of these options with settings to obtain pure voice.

Administrator

None of the dBpoweramp effects change the pitch, the ones you list only change the volume.

Ok can you suggest how to maintain volume at 10 decibels throughout the files by using dsps.

Administrator

You can use the Volume normalize DSP effect, set to adaptive normalization (EBU)

In channel mapping there is option to set loudness to units in decibels. Can we use dsps channel mapping, volume nirmalize, replaygain at the same time.

Administrator

This loudness in channel mapping is a % of the original, it is not increased, only reduced.

It is taking many hours in order to convert a single mp3 file to opus. I have added dsps as below

1) channel count set channels="1"
    2) channel mapper set channels=1" ch1="1.0"
    3). Resample set frequency="48000"
    4). Volume normalize set -mode="adaptebu" -maxamp="8" -desiredb="0"
    ie., in volume normalize I have selected
    type as Adaptive (EBU R 128)
    Window Length as 6000 ms
    Desired volume as 0 db
    Maximum Amplification * 8

Please suggest how to maintain same volume for all the files in batch converter through dsps.
    Last edited by rupeshforu3; 07-25-2017 at 01:22 PM.

Administrator

Your settings are good. Why is it taking hours to convert? are the mp3 files many many hours long?

Previously i have added 3 dsps ie., channel count,channel mapping, resample and I have converted thousands of files. At present in order to maintain same volume I have added volume normalize with above settings and so it is taking much time. dbpoweramp batch converter is displaying messages as rendering dsps, time remaining 8 hours time etc.,.

I have added only 68 files which have playback time only 21:00 hours. Previously I have converted same using dbpoweramp and have taken 25 minutes but now when I added volume normalize it is taking hours.

Administrator

For volume normalize the whole file has to be decoded.

How much time does it take to decode a file. Previously the same file has been converted with in a few minutes ie., only 2 to three minutes.

Administrator

On a fast modern computer, if the source file is 30 minutes long, it should convert, even with Volume Normalize in a few minutes.

Try one file at a time, how long is the source file, how long does it take to convert?