title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Asset R6 beta [Mac, Linux]

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: Asset R6 beta [Mac, Linux]

Issue resolved after complete rescan and clearing Image and UPnP caches on the Naim app.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Using custom tags in R6 seems to not be working for me

I seem to be having problems with custom tags.

I have a tag called GROUPING in my FLAC files which contains CLASSICAL or ROCK. I was using it to separate types of music and it was working fine. It was defined in ~/.dBpoweramp/uMediaLibrary-v4/MediaDatabaseFieldsv5.txt as GROUPING,0,NVARCHAR(20), although I think I also tried GROUPING,0,INTEGER and that worked. I could use it on the browse tree and all was populated and fine.

With R6 I have created separate instances so don't really use GROUPING anymore but was trying to display it anyway and I cannot get it to show any values when looking at the tree. The files themselves are populated but the control point shows no results.

I was also trying to show Work for classical music. I have tried that with an entery in MediaDatabaseFieldsv5.txt and without and that too comes up with no results, although the files themselves have entries.

What am I missing please?

Philip

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: Using custom tags in R6 seems to not be working for me

ok looks like I have worked it out. When running multiple instances each has a subdirectory off the ~/.dBpoweramp directory called 1,2, etc. Editing the uMediaLibrary-v4/MediaDatabaseFieldsv5.txt file in the right instance works fine.

Philip

As I'm testing on macOS, I'm now using more features of Asset UPnP that I've not used before. One of which is the compilation support. Because I've not really used it before I'm not sure if I've uncovered a bug in the beta or I've just got a problem with my tags, but I have an issue with using compilations.

This screenshot shows it best:

Unavailable Compilations.png

Does anyone know what could be causing this? If I scroll down the list I do eventually get some albums listed, but it's a pain to scroll past entry upon entry of 'Unavailable'.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Neil.

Administrator

What happens if you go back up one level, then select compilations again?

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    What happens if you go back up one level, then select compilations again?
    It still displays the same, with lots of 'Unavailable' messages. If I scroll down I can find albums listed, but if I start scrolling up and down the list sometimes the 'Unavailable' message disappears and just a blank entry is displayed (this appears to be random!).

When I get home tonight I will try with BubbleDS on my Nexus 7 to see if it shows the same strange behaviour, just to make sure it's not a control point issue.

OK, so I tried with BubbleDS on a Nexus 7 and also Linn Kazoo on an iPhone and the Nexus 7. BubbleDS showed the compilations correctly with no issues. Linn Kazoo, on both platforms, showed 'Unavailable' items in the list but did not show blank entries.

So it appears it's an interaction with Linn Kazoo when showing compilations that causes the 'Unavailable' items to be shown in the album list.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Hi simes_pep,

let me assure you that as an owner of Naim equipment for more than 2 decades I share your thoughts of their new Uniti product range. I remember the times when you could switch off the numeric display of their 1st CD player ("to ensure that possible influences on the sound quality are thus avoided"). What a surprise that - according to comments the Naim forum - in their actual app they simply forgot to enable switching off the front display (?!?) ...

Having worked in software development for longer than I own Naim equipment I think that combining three completely different functions
    - 1. setup and personalization of hardware pieces - usually done only once to integrate the hardware into your network;
    - 2. ripping and editing metadata of ripped CD's - usually done if you buy new CDs or if you are "harmonizing" metadata, e.g. to avoid redundancies;
    - 3. controlling your player and eventually reading the "CD-booklet" with data from ROVI
    into a single app creates at least more testing activities and a higher risk to oversee faults, shorter update cycles thus making users tired of searching what is new, or whether a malfunction has been corrected, or what else is new. With 3 separate apps the need of frequent changes would be reduced significantly:
    - ad 1. only when new hardware is introduced or in case of firmware updates;
    - ad 2. if changes to the metadata-database are introduced, and
    - ad 3. if new services like e.g. TIDAL or Roon are introduced.
    Besides that, I think that Naim's move towards Roon is intentional to free them from worrying about a solid metadata solution, especially if their metadata editing possibilities are compared to the functional range of dBpoweramp, especially if combined with PerfectTUNES.

My Naim dealer some years ago lent me an Uniti Serve during a weekend for testing. At first I was surprised about the poor quality of their metadata sources (compared to the sound quality Naim have reached in the past with their equipment), and when I tried to correct metadata with their n-serve app (regardless whether on PC, Mac or iPad) I could not achieve the wanted results within a reasonable time. If, as in your case, only 1 of 500 titles was to be corrected, you would have to correct a total of 150 titles and thus n-serve might have suited your needs. When I reached about 20k titles (actually I have 27k) I needed about 600 hours supported by PerfectTUNES 2.0 (although I did not use their mass correction feature then) to achieve a estimated 95% level of unique Artist, Album Artist and Composer entries. Still missing is to resolve the less known abbreviated names (like "W.A. Mozart", "WA Mozart", "W Mozart" --> "Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart" for a well known artist name); still searching a "qualified" Alias-database, actually using DISCOGS which helped me as well to achieve this level of data quality. Accordingly, I replicate my music from my main server (with backup discs) to 2 smaller servers, one of which again has its own backup disk. Thus building and keeping a quality music collecting means nowadays a certain amount of effort, which some - if not most - people might want to avoid, eventually hoping that payable services like Roon might solve their problems or might at least impress friends and neighbors if they proudly introduce their highly priced equipment and its possibilities to them.

Just another thing: Reading about your experiences concerning Upstream artwork settings, the 'AssetUserUpstreamImages' folder etc. I would like to use such functions as well myself but up to now was unable to find out how this works and/or some "how-to" from a configuration manual of other Internet source.

Until now, the only result I gained was as follows: If I store a picture of the album artist named "Folder.jpg" in the Album Artist folder (in the typical directory structure: Album Artist > Album Title > Title 1, Title 2, ...), this picture is displayed under "Additional > Folders & Filename Browsing" for the relative Album Artist folder instead of the general folder symbol. Even if this result is gathered by coincidence, it is, however, a nice feature, which would be a "nice to have" under Album Artist and/or Artist view(s) as well (in such case, the JPG-file would have to be named exactly like the relative artist, but where to store and are additional configuration steps required as well ?

Therefore: Could you - or others who do know this - please supply links, brief instructions or something useful for me and others to use such goodies.

Thanks in advance for helpful replies.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: Extended log features - helpful to clarify differences in title count ?

Hi,

my main server actually (QNAP TS-453A) runs Asset 5.1.1 registered, and the main page say "Library Contains 27032 Tracks, 1637 Albums". These figures are supported as well by DOS "dir"-command and by Minim server running on the same platform (as a backup app, but mainly to enable cross-checking of these figures).

The complete "music directory" is replicated daily to two smaller backup servers, a QNAP TS-112P and a Synology DS115j.
    The QNAP TS-112P is running Asset 6.4 beta (over 5.1.1 registered) and Minim server natively. For the Synology I had at the beginning Asset 5.1.1 registered running on a RasPi 2, then moved this version to the DS115j natively, but recently move back to the RasPi 2 (because of the nearly weekly OS-updates by Synology thus needing to re-install the app etc.) and installed actually Asset 6.5 over the registered version. Again, Minim Server runs natively on the DS115j.

As expected, the DOS dir results on both backup servers to 27032 tracks, same results reported by both Minim servers. But whereas Asset 6.4 on the QNAP TS-112P says as well "Library Contains 27032 Tracks, 1637 Albums", the RasPi says "Library Contains 27007 Tracks, 1637 Albums".

I think turning on the log and entering a "Rescan all" might result in a very large - and thus not easy-to-handle file size.

Any other idea how to exactly locate the missing 25 titles on the RasPi/Synology - to search for a possible reason why these titles are not recognized by the app ?
    Last edited by Niko; 10-18-2017 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Additional paragraph for easier reading

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: Internet Radio (tune in)

Hi,

the registered version the TuneIn-app on iPad (registered = enables recording of radio streams) has an additional feature which the web-version of TuneIn actually does not provide: You may store a "personalized URL" under "Favorites" as well.

In my case, I added "http://37.130.228.60:8090/listen.pls" and named it "Naim Radio", since there is no other entry of Naim Radio contained within TuneIn.
    When I point to the respective icons of this entry on my iPad, the stream starts playing as expected.

Using the Naim app on my iPad, selecting a Asset 6.4- or Asset 6.5-server, then TuneIn Internet Radio, then Favorites, the "normal" entries (radio stations contained in TuneIn) are shown by their relative icons, but the manually entered station of "Naim Radio" shows the "TuneIn Internet Radio" icon of Asset 6.x. When pointing to this icon, the app reacts as if opening an (empty) sub-directory, an "no results" remains on the screen, but then nothing happens. Returning to the Favorites directory level is possible (meaning that the app does not crash).

Foobar2000 on the iPad shows same behavior with the respective steps as in the Naim app, except that "Naim Radio" is displayed under "Containers", whereas the other radio stations appear under "Media". Linn's Kinsky and Kazoo - both executed on Mac - show same behavior as the Naim app and are treating the entry "Naim Radio" as directory, but when selected, nothing happens.

Is it possible that Asset streams "itself" using the stored URL as with "genuine" TuneIn radio stations ?
    Or do the control point apps not handle the TuneIn data in such case correctly ?
    Or is a workaround possible, e.g. by quoting an internet radio URL within an PLS-entry under "Playlists ?

Thank you in advance for helpful replies.

Administrator

I do not know how you can detect which files they are.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    I do not know how you can detect which files they are.
    Thank you for your reply (I think it refers to my question regarding title count differences).

Could you please indicate me where to find the database file containing all the titles ?
    Is such database file easily accessible (e.g. with a standard text editor) or are other tools needed under OSX 10.13 ?
    Does this database file eventually contain the filename per title as well (thus I could compare them against a directory listing redirected to a file) ?

Otherwise I could try to have a Windows version pointing to the Synology directory - and if the same difference occurs, I think there is an easier way to access the relative database file, as I remember from previous postings.

However, I shall keep you informed about possible findings.

The QNAP link goes to a web page with binary coding, not the option to download the package. Can this be fixed?
    The other OS versions seem to be OK
    Thanks
    Howard

Administrator

Your web browser is not configured correctly, you can try a different browser, or reset the security levels.

Thanks Spoon, it works using Firefox.