title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Naming During Rip

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: Naming During Rip

Thanks garym, oggy:

Two quick questions for now:

1) What is Vorbis all about. Even the "?" explanation leaves me blank.

2) There seem to be two editable spots where tags might be changed (in the lower left box under Tags, and a sub-set of those at the top of the screen). I assume I edit tags in the lower box and use the upper boxes simply as a quick view for that subset. Is that correct?

With your help (and the others) I think I'm starting to get it.
    Don

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dbarnby View Post
    Thanks garym, oggy:

Two quick questions for now:

1) What is Vorbis all about. Even the "?" explanation leaves me blank.
    There's an Ogg Vorbis lossy codec (like mp3).
    http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/Ogg-Vorbis

But confusingly, the tag format for FLAC files is called "vorbis comments". For example, an mp3 file uses tag format of ID3v1 or ID3v2.3 or ID3v2.4 or APE (lots of options, most use ID3v2.3). FLAC files use Vorbis Comments format for tags. It's nothing you have to do anything with as dbpa handles this automatically (that is, correctly using Vorbis Comment format for FLAC tags). See:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vorbis_comment

2) There seem to be two editable spots where tags might be changed (in the lower left box under Tags, and a sub-set of those at the top of the screen). I assume I edit tags in the lower box and use the upper boxes simply as a quick view for that subset. Is that correct?
    Correct. You can edit tag field info in several places. Just try it and see what happens. You can't break anything!

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Hi Timothy,

I'm confused by you statement that genera is not a part of file name. The naming strings I've seen sometimes put genera at the front, suggesting that the file tree top level will indeed be genera. That is what I would like. Would you please explain further.

If I put genera as the first thing in my naming string, won't that put the genera as the top folder in my file explorer?

Thanks,
    Don

dBpoweramp Guru

I'm confused by you statement that genera is not a part of file name. The naming strings I've seen sometimes put genera at the front, suggesting that the file tree top level will indeed be genera. That is what I would like. Would you please explain further.

If I put genera as the first thing in my naming string, won't that put the genera as the top folder in my file explorer?
    You can ignore those comments about Genre in the Naming string. You can put whatever tags you like, in the Naming string.

If you put [genre]\ at the beginning of your Naming string, Genre will be the top level folder for your rips, as shown in Windows File Explorer (or Finder, for Apple users).

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Thanks, mville.
    Don

Newbie here, so as an example - I&*8217;m wanting to re-rip my Apple Lossless files to a new NAS directory (Output is set as /Volumes/NASMusic/Music/Source Path/SourceFilename) but I don&*8217;t want it to take the original path from the source (in this case /MiniPro/Music/) how to I stop it from appending the path of MiniPro/Music to my output path??

Ok, think I figured it out - changed the Output using Dynamic Naming to: /Artist/Album/Title and it looks like that&*8217;s getting me what I need.
    Last edited by leothe3rd; 02-02-2018 at 02:47 PM. Reason: May have figured it out.