title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Naming During Rip

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Question Naming During Rip

Post *4
    I'm a neophyte at networked music and CD ripping. I bought dBpoweramp and PerfectTunes. Please help me understand the software.

The dBpoweramp Ripping Naming dialog box is a complete mystery to me.
    I have read the "dBpoweramp Naming" piece on line but don't understand it. How can I get up to speed on this and understand it before I rip several hundred CD's?

Administrator

Re: Naming During Rip

Do you need to change the naming? often players do not use filename rather the metadata.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Thanks, Spoon:

I guess I don't understand 1) what is meant by "name" and 2) where such name appears (in my PC, or in my Player software readout), so I don't know if I will use it.

Also, if I do want to use it how do I get a better understanding of what is written in the "dBpoweramp Naming" piece. (That write-up is too sketchy for me to understand).

Thanks,
    Don

Administrator

Naming relates to the filename that is generated for each track ripped. You are best to leave it on the default value unless specifically need to change.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

1) If it is just to identify the track, what is the purpose of the extensive name detail, i.e., "Album Artist\Album Title\05 Artist - Title"

2) After the system is set up and I am using it to play music when and how do I use this name information?

3) I don't understand the CHARACTER of the name field.

I'd like to benefit from your thorough understanding of how all this works.

Thank you,
    Don

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dbarnby View Post
    1) If it is just to identify the track, what is the purpose of the extensive name detail, i.e., "Album Artist\Album Title\05 Artist - Title"

2) After the system is set up and I am using it to play music when and how do I use this name information?

3) I don't understand the CHARACTER of the name field.

I'd like to benefit from your thorough understanding of how all this works.

Thank you,
    Don
    the naming is so the files are organized in some reasonable way on your hard drive. For example, I have about 100,000 tracks. I don't want those all stored in a single directory like c:/music. Instead I prefer

c:/music
    c:/music/The Beatles/Abbey Road/01- Come Together.flac

So I have subdirectories for each artist then under that a subdirectory for each album of that artist.

This is all all just basic file management for what happens to be audio files.