title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Set-Up for Ripping

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GaryG45
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Jan 2014

Re: Set-Up for Ripping

Don,
    Regarding your problem with the genre.txt file. Are you sure it isn't "undefined" instead of "undesirable"? Mine has two "undefined" entries. What did you use to edit the file? I edited mine with Notepad and didn't get the blank space at the top. I hope you saved a copy of the original file by copying it to another folder in case you cannot find a reason for the blank space.

Comment

• dbarnby
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Jul 2017

Originally posted by GaryG45
      Don,
      Regarding your problem with the genre.txt file. Are you sure it isn't "undefined" instead of "undesirable"? Mine has two "undefined" entries. What did you use to edit the file? I edited mine with Notepad and didn't get the blank space at the top. I hope you saved a copy of the original file by copying it to another folder in case you cannot find a reason for the blank space.

Hi GaryF45:

When I go to %Userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\dBpoweramp on the internet and look at the .txt file everything looks normal, however when I click on the pull-down menu at Genre in dbpa the list of genre that drops down has three blank spaces at the top before the list starts.

The "undesirable" entry seems to have rectified itself. No more problem on that account. Still I have the extra spaces at the top of the pull-down list.

Don

Comment

• dbarnby
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • Jul 2017

Here's a issue that may have been previously addressed but I'm unsure.

I'd like to show the disc number at the end of the Album name, and, if possible have that done automatically by the Naming String so that I don't have to do it manually. Is that possible?

If that is not possible I guess it would have to add it manually onto the Album name or else have the Naming string put it one level down following Album (but I think that would be rather kludgy).

I'd like to resolve this issue before creating the Naming Strings.

Thanks,
        Don

Comment

• mville
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by dbarnby
          When I go to %Userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\dBpoweramp on the internet and look at the .txt file everything looks normal, however when I click on the pull-down menu at Genre in dbpa the list of genre that drops down has three blank spaces at the top before the list starts.
          %Userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\dBpoweramp is a location on your local hard drive. How do you access this location on the internet?

Comment

• mville
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by dbarnby
            I'd like to show the disc number at the end of the Album name, and, if possible have that done automatically by the Naming String so that I don't have to do it manually. Is that possible?

If that is not possible I guess it would have to add it manually onto the Album name or else have the Naming string put it one level down following Album (but I think that would be rather kludgy).

I'd like to resolve this issue before creating the Naming Strings.
            Go to CD Ripper >> Naming and click the Set button to open the dBpoweramp: CD Ripper Naming window.

In the Dynamic Naming text box, after each instance of [album], place the cursor and type a space and then click the Add Tag button and select Disc number.

Finally, when done, click the OK button.

Comment

• garym
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Nov 2007

Originally posted by mville
              Go to CD Ripper >> Naming and click the Set button to open the dBpoweramp: CD Ripper Naming window.

In the Dynamic Naming text box, after each instance of [album], place the cursor and type a space and then click the Add Tag button and select Disc number.

Finally, when done, click the OK button.
              This will work, but note that if you have only a single disk CD, I think it will put a "1" in title for that CD. If you are using the earlier provided naming strings, you'll need to remove all the separate subfolders for discs that get created. And at that point, it will likely be best to add disc number to track number in the naming (e.g., 1.03 - track title).

Bottom line, you may need to do more than add the [disc] after album. Try it and see how it works for you with a compilation and with a noncompilation. At a minimum in addition t inserting [disc] after album you'll likely want to add something like "(Disc [disc])" so it will show "album name (Disc 1)" rather than just a number.

What is your current preference regarding how you want the files and folders for an album to appear in your file explorer.
              p.s. You've been playing with naming for quite a while now. I'd suggest that it is time for you to actually learn how the naming string editing works. Then you can experiment to your heart's content and get it exactly how you want it.

Comment

• mville
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by garym
                This will work, but note that if you have only a single disk CD, I think it will put a "1" in title for that CD. If you are using the earlier provided naming strings, you'll need to remove all the separate subfolders for discs that get created. And at that point, it will likely be best to add disc number to track number in the naming (e.g., 1.03 - track title).

Bottom line, you may need to do more than add the [disc] after album. Try it and see how it works for you with a compilation and with a noncompilation. At a minimum in addition t inserting [disc] after album you'll likely want to add something like "(Disc [disc])" so it will show "album name (Disc 1)" rather than just a number.
                The solution I offered was in direct response to the OP's request:
                I'd like to show the disc number at the end of the Album name, and, if possible have that done automatically by the Naming String so that I don't have to do it manually.

However garym, you correct in alluding to other possible issues e.g. subfolders based on disc number etc. It is difficult to know exactly what is going on, without knowing the OP's current Naming string(s).

Comment

• garym
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Nov 2007

Originally posted by mville
                  The solution I offered was in direct response to the OP's request:
                  I'd like to show the disc number at the end of the Album name, and, if possible have that done automatically by the Naming String so that I don't have to do it manually.

However garym, you correct in alluding to other possible issues e.g. subfolders based on disc number etc. It is difficult to know exactly what is going on, without knowing the OP's current Naming string(s).
                  Yep, I'm just second guessing his followup question.
                  And yes, it is critical that we know exactly what he wants his file name/folder structure to look like for (1) single disk CDs, (2) multidisk CDs, (3) Compilation CDs, and (4) whether he wants something different for pop music vs classical. Almost anything is possible to be done automatically, if one knows what the desired output is.

Comment

• GaryG45
                    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                    • Jan 2014

Don,
                    I hope you meant to say you used File Explorer to access %Userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\dBpoweramp. You haven't answered my question as to what you used to edit the genre.txt file.

Comment

• dbarnby
                      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                      • Jul 2017

Originally posted by garym
                      Yep, I'm just second guessing his followup question.
                      And yes, it is critical that we know exactly what he wants his file name/folder structure to look like for (1) single disk CDs, (2) multidisk CDs, (3) Compilation CDs, and (4) whether he wants something different for pop music vs classical. Almost anything is possible to be done automatically, if one knows what the desired output is.
                      Garym, mville, thanks for your posts. I'm glad to learn that it is possible to automatically append the disc no. at the end of the album name.

The Naming scheme I've arrive at is as follows:

1) I'd like genre as my top level in all cases.

2) I'd like two Profiles; one for Non-classical, one for classical following the formats below: (I realize these are somewhat "non-standard.")

Non-Classical: genre > album – Disc no. > artist > composer
                      Classical: genre > album – Disc no. > composer > artist

Examples of Album with disc number:

The White Cliffs of Dover – Disc 1/2
                      The White Cliffs of Dover – Disc 2/2
                      Rigoletto – Disc 1/2
                      Rigoletto – Disc 2/2
                      Dean Martin Love Songs – 1/1

3) I do not want to use Compilations in either.

4) I'd like an appropriate maxlength on both

Even though I've repeatedly read the help notes in dbpa, the logic/syntax of Naming Strings escapes me, and I am most appreciative of your help in creating them. What should I use to achieve the above results?

Don

Comment

• dbarnby
                        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                        • Jul 2017

GaryG45

I'm not sure I understand your question about what I used to edit the genre.txt file.

I put "%Userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\dBpoweramp" into my Internet Explorer browser as suggested, then clicked on genre.txt, and the genre list appeared on screen. Then I edited directly on that screen. I am using Windows 10.

Don

Comment

• GaryG45
                          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                          • Jan 2014

Don,
                          I don't see any suggestion that you use Internet Explorer to access %Userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\dBpoweramp for the genres.txt file. In post *331 mville says you can edit the genres.txt file and provides the location of it, assuming you would use a text editor like Notepad to edit the file. I see a reference to %appdata%\dBpoweramp in post *440. In that post mville says to enter %appdata%\dBpoweramp in the Windows File Explorer address bar.

I see where Internet Explorer will get you to the genres.txt file. I'm guessing you double clicked on genres.txt and Windows most likely used Notepad to open the file. I don't know the changes you made to the file, but I've edited it twice and cannot reproduce the blank spaces you are seeing. There are probably some blank lines at the top of the file, but that is a guess.

Comment

• GaryG45
                            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                            • Jan 2014

Sorry I had to submit my reply sooner than intended.
                            My suggestion would be to go to hit the windows key on your keyboard, type in Notepad, and click on the word Notepad when you see it.

This will open another window with the title - Untitled - Notepad. Go to File>Open. In the Open window address bar type %Userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\dBpoweramp and hit enter. You may have to delete what is in the address bar before you can enter anything. After hitting enter you should have a list that contains a folder and three files. Select the genres.txt file and click Open.

You are now in edit mode on genres.txt. If there are blank lines prior to your first genre, it is the cause of your problem, and you should delete them. There should be no blank lines between any of the genres or at the end of the list. Once you are done making your changes, if any, do a File>Save and then a File>Exit.

Hopefully you find blank lines. Otherwise, I'm not sure what is causing the blank space in the genres dropdown.

Comment

• dbarnby
                              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                              • Jul 2017

GaryG45,

Yes, the instructions I followed are in mville's post *331. You mentions post *440, however that's a mystery to me because right now we're only on post *403.

When I get to the genre.txt file it edits fine, and looks just like I want (no extra spaces at the top). The problem comes in dbpa when I click on the pull-down menu in the Genre box at the top of the screen; it's there that I have the extra spaces.

I wonder if Spoon knows how to fix this?

Don

Comment

• GaryG45
                                dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                                • Jan 2014

Sorry, my typo. It should be post *340.

I would open a separate thread on the genres dropdown menu issue.

Comment

Working...

]]>