title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 15 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Set-Up for Ripping

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Set-Up for Ripping

Quote Originally Posted by dbarnby View Post
    Hi Oggy & GaryF45:

I did at GaryG45 suggested and find that my dbpa version is 16.2. Should I update? How would that be done?

Don
    Hi Don,

Missed this and GaryG45's reply last night.

Yes, it's worth updating, and you go to Registration Retrieval. Have your order number to hand.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Thanks Oggy,

Where do I find my order number?
    Where do I find Registration Retrieval?

I haven't used either of these before.
    Don

dBpoweramp Guru

Where do I find my order number?
    When you originally ordered, you will have received an email. The order number is in that email.

Where do I find Registration Retrieval?
    Registration Retrieval. Click Begin Registration Retrieval, if you have lost your order number.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Thanks, mville; I go it.
    Don

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

OK, here's my current understanding of tags/sort tags. Consider composer tag as an example. So, breaking it down:

1) There are three places I deal with tags.

a) the top of the screen where the composer field provides a text box for me (or the internet metadata) to enter composer.

b) the Tag tab at the bottom left where the tags employed are listed (and [x] allows them to be removed, and where "Add new tags" provide a list that allows additions (including Composer sort).

c) The listing of tags under the green triple line icon at the top of the screen >
    Tags & Filenames > Options > Write to ID Tags, which gives a list of tag possibilities with check boxes checked for those in use. This list includes Composer sort.

2) Among these three places to handle tags only the first, a), provides a place to enter text. I assume, therefore, that however I enter composer here will control how composer appears in BOTH the file name and in the player display. i.e. if I prefer Gustav Mahler, that's the words I put in the text box; if I want Mahler, Gustav that's what I put in the text box. (of course I can edit later).

3) Then regarding sort I must select Composer soft in either b) or c) and the result will be to alphabetize Gustav Mahler, or Mahler, Gustav by whichever word is first (Gustav in the first case, and Mahler in the second). On the other hand, if I don't select composer sort the composer listing will be random.

This alphabetizing will occur ONLY in the Player presentation, not in File Explorer listing of file names.

4) If I'm correct so far, then the only remaining question I have is the relationship between b) and c) above where it appears I make the tag selection (In this case composer or composer sort).

I don't understand the relationship of these two tag listings. From my experimenting I conclude that they do not sync together, i.e. a change in one does not result in a comparable change in the other (which means that they could be set differently. This is counterintuitive to me; if they are set differently, which would control? Why are there to such listing anyway. How do I use each of them?

Please let me know If I am correct with regard to 1) through 3), and if so what's the scoop regarding 4)?

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi Don,

Have you ripped a CD with garym's Classical naming string? If using the old name based on Artist, you will not get a Composer folder.

dBpoweramp Guru

Don,

In File Explorer, files are always displayed alphabetically. Gustav Mahler will be in Gs and Mahler, Gustav in Ms.

Did you have a look at the screenshots I posted (*207)?

The first screenshot with folders, shows exactly the same alphabetical order as would be seen in Windows File Explorer, using Artist.

All of the others how they display on a player / app, with Artist Sort tag used.
    Last edited by Oggy; 12-29-2017 at 04:01 PM.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Don,
    I'll try to answer some of your questions from post *189.
    2) Regarding WMP, I'm running Windows 10 Creators Fall Update and have WMP version 12.0.16299.64. On my menu bar at the top I have File, View, Play, Tools, and Help. Maybe you have an older version, so look for Options in the menu bar.
    3) My guess is that you have changed the folder structure using File Explorer or deleted folders and Foobar2000 is still pointing at the old folder structure. In Foobar go to File>Preferences then click on Media Library in the left panel of Preferences. On the right side you should see Music Folders, which has the music folders Foobar uses. You may have to update the folder information or remove folder information for deleted folders. You cannot change your music library folder structure and expect Foobar2000 to know what you did. If you make a change to the folder structure, you must update Foobar's Media Library music folders appropriately.
    4) The "browse" Oggy mentions is for the mobile Foobar2000 app he is using on his Android tablet. I don't know a comparable option in the desktop version that you are using. It might be Library>Album List from the menu bar. I don't use the mobile version.
    5) Folder.jpg and Cover.jpg are file names for where the cover art is stored for an album. It is up to you to determine if you want to use Folder, Cover, or some other name for the cover art jpg. The jpg file is stored in the album folder with the track files for the album. It is NOT stored with each track, unless you embed the cover art.
    6) My CD Ripper Profiles are related to the Naming string. I have profiles Regular Album, Compilations, and Musicals and Soundtracks. When I select the Regular Album profile, I get a Naming string I created for it, and when I select the Compilations profile, I get a different Naming string that I created. I'm not sure why you are having the problem. I guess you should create another profile and insure that you click OK after all options are set the way you want them. Could you have uninstalled and reinstalled CD Ripper because I think the uninstall will delete your profiles.

Gary

dBpoweramp Guru

I don't understand the relationship of these two tag listings. From my experimenting I conclude that they do not sync together, i.e. a change in one does not result in a comparable change in the other (which means that they could be set differently. This is counterintuitive to me; if they are set differently, which would control? Why are there to such listing anyway. How do I use each of them?
    The two tags, COMPOSER and COMPOSERSORT are not linked automatically in any way. Think of these as labels you would paste on a physical file folder. One label says "Gustav Mahler" and the other label says "Mahler, Gustav". Both labels are pasted on the same folder. Picture yourself standing in front of a file cabinet. You are holding the folder. You must decide where to file the folder. You can choose to file it in the "G" drawer or you can choose to file it in the "M" drawer. You're the one making the filing decision. Back to the context of your music files, the music server/database you use makes the decision about which label to use. Some programs are smart enough to see the two different labels (composer and composersort) and use the composersort for filing. Some are not. It all depends on the how the server uses the tags.

edit: people often like the sort tags because on their player they like to see the display show an artist or composer name the way one would say it, e.g., Gustav Mahler. But they want the music library system to "file" the album based on the last name so they would find the Mahler albums mixed with other composers that started with M. So the composersort would be Mahler, Gustav. Thus when browsing for symphonies one would look under the "Ms" for Mahler. But when seeing your "now playing" screen on a player, it would read "Gustav Mahler".
    Last edited by garym; 12-29-2017 at 05:26 PM.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

garym:

Thanks for your last post. It looks as if you are seeking to answer my last question 4) from my post *215, however might have gotten onto a slightly different topic (although an important one). My question 4) has to do specifically with the two location that show tags (the green bar icon at the very top, and the Tags tag at the bottom). What are these two listing for? What do they each do? What happens if they call out different tags?

The issue of sort tags is another issue but I'd first like to understand the two above listing of tags.

Thanks,
    Don

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Hi Oggy,

"Who's on first."

Let me take this piece at a time.

Is it correct that the words, AND THE SEQUENCE OF THE WORDS that appear in the File Explorer are always exactly verbatim the words typed in the composer field at the top of the page in the same order whatever that is (Gustav Mahler or Mahler, Gustav)?

Don

dBpoweramp Guru

garym:

Thanks for your last post. It looks as if you are seeking to answer my last question 4) from my post *215, however might have gotten onto a slightly different topic (although an important one). My question 4) has to do specifically with the two location that show tags (the green bar icon at the very top, and the Tags tag at the bottom). What are these two listing for? What do they each do? What happens if they call out different tags?

The issue of sort tags is another issue but I'd first like to understand the two above listing of tags.

Thanks,
    Don
    The green bar icon at the top allows you to select what tags you want to be added to a file. The tags info at bottom center are showing you what you've selected. These are connected by the software. You should only need to select the tags you want added in the options you get after selecting the "green" bar icon at top of ripper program.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

GaryF45, your post *218

I think I have 6) figured out. Thanks

Re. 2) I guess I'll have to talk w/Microsoft; I find no Tools on my WMP

Re. 3) I'll work on that some more.

Re. 4) I'll work on that some more, too.

Re. 5) I don't fully understand, but is the bottom line that I don't have to worry about it. This issue came up in Oggy *163, "If you want Folder.jpg, or Cover.jpg, &*8230; you need to uncheck both Disable Tag Writing AND Album Art, as per screenshot below, and set the appropriate, Write to [output folder]."

Don

I don't want to rip with the wrong settings. I do want to see cover art; that's my bottom line.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Hi garym,

I just ran an experiment. I selected Composer sort in the green bar icon at the top, then looked for it in the Tag list at the bottom. It wasn't there. I believe you indicated that these two were linked. What am I missing?

What is the purpose of this redundancy?

Don

dBpoweramp Guru

I just ran an experiment. I selected Composer sort in the green bar icon at the top, then looked for it in the Tag list at the bottom. It wasn't there. I believe you indicated that these two were linked. What am I missing?
    I assume you mean you did the following:
    Go to CD Ripper >> Menu (green bar icon) >> CD Ripper Options >> Meta Data & ID Tag >> Write ID Tag
    and ticked ComposerSort?

If yes, this means that IF the ComposerSort tag is populated, it will be written to the audio file.

The tag panel at the bottom allows you to add/edit the ComposerSort tag or any other tag, as you desire.