title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Set-Up for Ripping

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Question Set-Up for Ripping

Post *1
    I'm a neophyte at networked music and CD ripping. I bought dBpoweramp and PerfectTunes. Please help me understand the software. Post *1

1. Where do I set up for gapless?

2. Do I need to do anything to set dBpoweramp offset?

3. What do I do with the Encoder?

3a. Do I check the "Verify Written Audio" box?

4. What do I do with DSP (Add DSP/Action)?

5. I bought both dBpoweramp and PerfectTunes. Do they link together automatically or do I have to initiate PerfectTunes or make suck a linking
    to affect the ripping?

6. I've read quite a bit in the Forum, and the Mr Spoon Instruction pieces but find them quite technical. Is there a simplified guide that tells, bottom line, how to proceed and use the software?

Thank you. I look forward to ripping and using my music.

Administrator

Re: Set-Up for Ripping

1. CD Ripper is already gapless
    2. See this guide:

https://dbpoweramp.com/cd-ripper-setup-guide.htm

3. Leave unless you need to change to a different one
    a) No need

4. See the guide above

5. PerfectTUNES is a separate from dBpoweramp.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    1. CD Ripper is already gapless
    2. See this guide:

https://dbpoweramp.com/cd-ripper-setup-guide.htm

3. Leave unless you need to change to a different one
    a) No need

4. See the guide above

5. PerfectTUNES is a separate from dBpoweramp.

the setting guide doesn't have the "clear read cache with FUA" does it make a difference in sound if clicked or not clicked. on clicking "detect" my drive has it clicked.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Hitarth View Post
    the setting guide doesn't have the "clear read cache with FUA" does it make a difference in sound if clicked or not clicked. on clicking "detect" my drive has it clicked.
    I recall that was only for certain brand drives. In any case, it has nothing to do with sound. If you need that, you won't be able to get a secure rip without it most likely. But I'd say in most cases this should be unticked.

edit: see:
    https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthr...cache-clearing
    Last edited by garym; 12-31-2020 at 12:59 PM.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    I recall that was only for certain brand drives. In any case, it has nothing to do with sound. If you need that, you won't be able to get a secure rip without it most likely. But I'd say in most cases this should be unticked.

edit: see:
    https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthr...cache-clearing
    many thanks,
    actually, the tick was a default & forgot to unclick.
    so i guess, i can listen to these files.
    thanks & Happy New Year

dBpoweramp Guru

For encoder, select what sort of files you want to create. I use FLAC (lossless) at he default compression (5). What player will you be using? if Apple, you may want ALAC instead of FLAC.
    The only DSP I use is ReplayGain. (note, *not* replaygain (apply)). I have it add both album and track tags.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

1. OK, thanks

2. The discussion provided on Offset is quite extensive, so I guess it's important.
    I didn't, however, understand how to set this factor appropriately during set-up.

3. OK, thanks

3a. What is "Verify written audio" all about? What does it do?

4. What is DSP all about?
    What does "Add DSP/Action" do?

I don't understand Garym's comments:
    "(note, *not* replaygain (apply)."
    "I have it add both album and track tags."
    I don't even understand what all these terms mean.

5. I have both dBpoweramp and PerfectTunes.

Do they link together automatically or do I have to initiate PerfectTunes or make such a linking to affect the ripping?

Please instruct me on how to implement PerfectTunes when I rip.

6. I've read quite a bit in the Forum, and the Mr Spoon Instruction pieces but find them quite technical. Is there a simplified guide that tells the story in layman's terms?

What do the various options provided throughout all the set-up menus, actually mean and do? Those options are there for a purpose, and I'd like to understand the purpose.

dBpoweramp Guru

Hey dbarnby,

Quote Originally Posted by dbarnby View Post
    2. The discussion provided on Offset is quite extensive, so I guess it's important.
    I didn't, however, understand how to set this factor appropriately during set-up.
    The offest isn't set by the user. In the Windows Version dBpa will measure the Offset itself. In the Mac Version the offset is set for your drive directly.

3a. What is "Verify written audio" all about? What does it do?
    Did you read about accurate rip and ist benefits?

4. What is DSP all about?
    What does "Add DSP/Action" do?

I don't understand Garym's comments:
    "(note, *not* replaygain (apply)."
    "I have it add both album and track tags."
    I don't even understand what all these terms mean.
    DSP stands for digital signal processor/processing. dBpa allows you to process your sound files during the rip or the conversion to other formats. One processing method is "replay gain", which allows you level the sound level on a track or album basis.

5. I have both dBpoweramp and PerfectTunes.

Do they link together automatically or do I have to initiate PerfectTunes or make such a linking to affect the ripping?

Please instruct me on how to implement PerfectTunes when I rip.
    dBpa and Perfect tunes are different programs. dBpa is for the ripping and conversion process. Perfect tunes to handle and optimize the tags of your already ripped sound files.

6. I've read quite a bit in the Forum, and the Mr Spoon Instruction pieces but find them quite technical. Is there a simplified guide that tells the story in layman's terms?

What do the various options provided throughout all the set-up menus, actually mean and do? Those options are there for a purpose, and I'd like to understand the purpose.
    If you like to understand the purpose of all options, you have to read a lot on this site, in this forum and in the internet for more general terms. This question can't be answered in a single thread.

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Guru

Dat Ei is correct. There would be a lot to read. I've been a heavy dbpa users for many years, and I use almost none of the various DSPs. The default settings are mostly perfect for most people.

My comment about using DSP replaygain and not replaygain(apply) is that the former simply adds replaygain tags that players can use (and doesn't modify the audio). Replaygain(apply) actually modifies the audio (to adjust the volume), so those files are no longer bit perfect copies of the original CD.

I mostly use PerfectTunes to check AccurateRip status of older files (that I ripped before dbpa) or to check the AR status of files after create a new backup of all my files (running AR check on the new backup files is an easy way to check file integrity too).

The key things you'll want to set up front and learn a bit about are:

1. which metadata tags you want to save in your files.
    2. the file naming structure you want to use (and how to use dynamic naming to get that automatically).
    --if you post an example of how you'd like your files to be stored, named, directories and subdirectories, etc., one of us can give you the code that would work for producing that within the dynamic naming setup. And from this, you can learn a bit about how that works.

3. Which DSPs you might want to use. Again, I rip to FLAC and only use the replaygain dsp to add album and track level gain adjustment tags.

Bottom line, the best way to learn dbpa is trial and error. Try things. see what it produces. And remember that 99% of the extra tools and settings are unneccesary for 99% of the user base.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Thanks, garym, your detailed reply was most helpful. I'm making progress, but now have a few more questions.

1) If the filename is solely the province of File Explorer, I'm not sure what is accomplished by having the music in various folders and sub-folders. Wouldn't that require pointing the Player to each of those folders/sub-folders correctly in order to reach all the music? Or would you still point the Player to just the root "Music" folder? I don't understand this.

2) Do I have free option of the file names I want to use

3) Also, it seems as if such names (folders/sub-folders in File Explorer) are irrelevant to the selection of the desired music by the Player for listening, which I believe is accomplished through "tags." Is this correct?

If you can help me understand these two issues, I should be in a position to give you an example of how I want my files to be organized (I assume this means in File Explorer).

4) The metadata I'm interested in are: Genera, Album name, Artist, Composer, Song title. I assume these are tags, not filenames. Is that correct? fundamentally I'm not sure I understand the difference (and uses) between filenames and tags.

5) The CD Ripper Naming dialog box confuses me, as follows:

a) What is the purpose of the TWO "writing spaces" in this dialog box (Base Location and the lower one); how do I interpret these?

b) I note there are four buttons (Add tag, Add property, Programmable actions, and Default Naming) and that the pulldown menus for the first three contain many options that insert into the writing spaces. Is there a key to understanding all of these options in these three lists? How do I do all this?

c) What is "User defined tag" in the "Add Tag" pulldown?

d) How do I use the three checkboxes?

e) I'm confused by the "Add Tag' button in the dialog box that opens under the File Name prompt. I thought filenames and tags were distinctly separate things.

I truly appreciate your help,
    Don

dBpoweramp Guru

Is there a simplified guide that tells the story in layman's terms?
    You can start by reading here: dBpoweramp Help

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    You can start by reading here: dBpoweramp Help
    Particularly here and click on all the links that provide more info

https://www.dbpoweramp.com/Help/dMC/CDhelp.htm

dBpoweramp Guru

Heres the dynamic naming string I use. It automatically deals with compilations and multi disks. Just copy it and paste into The box where you enter naming. Try it with ripping and see if you like the outcome.
    [IFCOMP]Compilations\[album][IFMULTI]\Disc [disc][]\[track]-[title]-[artist][][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][]\[album][IFMULTI]\Disc [disc][]\[track]-[title][]

How can I change the sampling rate from 44.1 to higher?