title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2028293031 LastLast

Thread: Set-Up for Ripping

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Set-Up for Ripping

Although most would agree that the Genre\Album - Disc Number\Track Number - Title - Artist Naming structure may be unconventional, as long as the OP adheres to strict tagging rules where each album has a single genre and a unique name, it will work for him.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Dat Ei, Garym, oggy, GaryF45:

You guys are great; thank you all. This discussion in quite enlightening – and of course raises some questions.

1) I'm confused by mention of CD's with multiple genres.

1a) I thought only one genre was allowed to be assigned to each disc. Whatever genre is put in the genre text box at the top of screen then populates every track.

1b) Do some discs put different genre in each track and then "various genre" in the top genre box?

1c) If that's the case, then the idea of genre folders loses much of its meaning.

1d) Also, that would mean that searching by genre tag on the player will not bring up albums of such genre, but rather would pull together Tracks of such genre from various discs. Do I understand this correctly?

1e) What is it that is going on here? As you know, I think of my music in terms of genre, and I have always seen genre as belonging to albums, not tracks. I generally want my genre selections to lead me to albums of such genre for listening, not to assemble (from many discs) the tracks of a given genre. How is all this best handled?

1f) Another reason for selecting genre first is that with Bluesound after I select Artist tag, I am not longer able to select genre. The same is true for Album, and Composer. Is this a weakness in Bluesound? How do other systems handle this?

2) I notice that, at least sometimes, when I rip a 2-disc set, the File Explorer shows disc number repeated: :Opera > Nabucco Disc 1 - Disc 2 Disc1-2." What's the scoop here? have I inadvertently prompted this?

3) I wasn't aware that there are numerous discs bearing the same name such as "Greatest Hits" without further identifying words. I see the problem (thank you).

4) The reason I like album over artist is that I often don't remember the artist, or artist is ambiguous, as in a musical, but I do remember the album (say Music Man) which is the thing I bought. The fact that some different albums have the same names is a downer, i.e., Greatest Hits without any follow-on designators. When I'm presented with a long list of album names it makes sense to me; when presented with a long list of artists I have little idea of what to click next to get to Music Man. I welcome further thoughts on this.

5) I'm confused by the result obtained when I ripped Nabucco (2 discs)

I don't understand the correspondence between the Naming String and the result:

5a) Dynamic Naming string was:

[MAXLENGTH]240,[genre]\[album] Disc [disc]-[disc_total]\[track]-[title]-composer]-[artist][]

5b) Example provided by dbpa was:

Genre\Album Title Disc 1-1\05-Title-Composer-Artist____

5c) File Explorer screen shows:

Navigation screen has 2 levels of folders:

Genre > album

Main screen has the following columns:

Name Title Contrib. Artist Album

The navigation screen corresponds, but I don't understand how the main screen does. Note that:

-- No composer is shown.

-- Album is given twice (once in navigation screen folder and once in main screen).

-- Artist is labeled at "Contrib. Artist" (not Artist)

How do I understand these differences? What determines the column headings in the main screen?

6) I have one housekeeping question regarding this Forum software.
    I notice that at the bottom of the screen there are different "reply" buttons:
    -- "Reply" (with an arrow)
    -- "Reply with quote," and
    -- at the left "Reply to Thread" with an outline
    These are present or absent in ways at various times that I don't understand. Is there a preferred reply button? If It's missing, how to I get it?

Don

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dbarnby View Post
    2) I notice that, at least sometimes, when I rip a 2-disc set, the File Explorer shows disc number repeated: :Opera > Nabucco Disc 1 - Disc 2 Disc1-2." What's the scoop here? have I inadvertently prompted this?
    In this example, can you provide the corresponding File Explorer screenshot showing the folder (and the full path and filenames) and a screenshot of all tags as listed in Edit ID-Tag?

dBpoweramp Guru

re: Genre. You can handle this however you want. If you want the entire album to be a single Genre, make it that way when you rip. It is entirely in your control. And this way, Genre will work the way you want (a CD will have only one Genre assigned to it).

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Don,
    1. There are music databases, Discogs, GD3, freedb, that contain information about albums. One database may define a single genre to an album and another database may define multiple genres for the same album. For your naming scheme, if dbpa presents multiple genres for a CD, you will need to select one genre to use for the CD. I haven't seen any database assign different genres to the tracks of a CD; the genre is defined for the entire CD. I think what Dat Ei was talking about would be something done post-ripping where you would use tagging software to define a genre to the tracks. You would NOT want to do this because of your naming scheme. You need to have a single genre per CD.

My Sonos and Bose Soundtouch apps work the same way your Bluesound app works. If I select Artist, Album, or Composer, I cannot select Genre. I think this is normal.

4. Most players have a search function. Type Music Man in the search box, and it should display everything with Music Man.

6. You may not see some buttons because you aren't logged in. See the following for more info on posting: https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/faq.php...eading_posting

Gary

dBpoweramp Guru

6) I have one housekeeping question regarding this Forum software.
    I notice that at the bottom of the screen there are different "reply" buttons:
    -- "Reply" (with an arrow)
    -- "Reply with quote," and
    -- at the left "Reply to Thread" with an outline
    These are present or absent in ways at various times that I don't understand. Is there a preferred reply button? If It's missing, how to I get it?
    Don,

When you are offline, I believe only Reply With Quote is visible, which will then prompt you to log in.

I have used Reply With Quote here to directly answer your question 6) editing the rest out.

dBpoweramp Guru

Reply. I have replied to my own post, but without quote.

dBpoweramp Guru

Reply to Thread.

Genre. Don, in Genre you can have a single genre, such as Pop, Rock, or even Pop Rock. However if you have Pop; Rock note the semi-colon, you have two genres, Pop and Rock.

Most players such as your Bluesound allow you to search by Genre, so if you do not have Genre in your naming string, all of your folders, Classical and non-Classical are mixed, however you can use search by Genre - Classical and all your Classical music will show.

If you don't have a Genre folder but fill in the Genre tag box, you could have say, Baroque, Chamber, Opera, Symphonic. This may, or may not be of use to you.

I use this approach, and although all genres and styles of music are together, I can quickly search for Folk, Jazz, Opera or Punk. Although I've never really put labels on music and given thought to genre / style, as it is simply a tag, I occasionally search for a specific genre. Obviously you can have as few or as many genres as you think are of use to you.

I could have three genres of Classical, Jazz and Popular, and apart from stating the obvious, these tags have no benefit whatsoever, for me.
    Last edited by Oggy; 04-27-2018 at 01:13 PM.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    In this example, can you provide the corresponding File Explorer screenshot showing the folder (and the full path and filenames) and a screenshot of all tags as listed in Edit ID-Tag?

mville:

I can't seem to send a screenshot, but here's word for word what is shown in the File Explorer:

Folder: Lib
    1st Indented level Subfolder: Opera
    2nd Indented level Subfolder: Nabucco (Sinopoli), Disc 1 - Disc 2 Disc 1-2
    2nd Indented level Subfolder: Nabucco (Sinopoli), Disc 2 - Disc 2 Disk 2-2

I hope the forum software holds this format. I've not shown the topmost folder level (Music) that is above Lib.

Don

dBpoweramp Guru

I can't seem to send a screenshot, but here's word for word what is shown in the File Explorer
    Click the Insert Image button in a new post as I also need to see the screenshot of all tags as listed in Edit ID-Tag.
    Last edited by mville; 04-27-2018 at 07:51 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Well, depending on how granular your personal definitions of genre are, you could have different cuts on the same CD with different genres. The same is particularly true of styles. For instance my Caribbean collection has numerous CDs where some of the cuts are done to a reggae beat, Genre Reggae, and others are done to a Soca beat, genre Soca. I've got some that also have a track done latin style, and one done in Haitian Zouk. Now you might call the entire CD "Caribbean" or even "World" or "International" or "Other" Or you could give all the cuts on the CD several genres separated by semicolons "Reggae; Soca" that, at least in most tagging systems, will give you both tags for all the tracks. Your call. In my case, if I just used the "Caribbean" or "World" tag, it would kind of defeat the purpose of genre tagging, as probably 80 percent or more of my collection is "Caribbean".

Don't forget that tags are stored by track, as a part of the audio file, not by album, which may or may not be a unique file directory per album, depending on your naming string. So from that standpoint, no tag has to be the same for different tracks of the same CD. But I don't know if any of the public metadata sources, either those used by dBpoweramp or others, define genre by track. At least the display of metadata sources used by dBpoweramp only has one metadata entry (but does display multiple genres in that entry) per album. But you can enter different genres for each track yourself if you desire

Older versions of dBpoweramp would sometimes overwrite different by track genres when reaccessing external metadata providers, even when you never changed any genre entries, but that has been corrected in the current version.

I used to be more particular about genre, including sometimes genre by track, but as time has gone on, I've become more general, rarely specifying genre by track. Sometimes I'll specify multiple genres with semicolons for all the tracks, but often now, I'll provide the genre the artist is known for, for all the tracks, even if some might be considered a different genre. For instance reggae beat tracks on a CD by a soca artist still list soca as the genre. Maybe I'm just being lazy, but I generally listen to all or most of my music in "shuffle" mode anyway, so the tags are more important for answering "What is that I'm listening to" than selecting music. When I select by genre, it is because I'm in the mood for Classical, or Jazz, or Rock, instead of my typical Caribbean oriented random choices.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I've been out of commission at the hospital for a while but I'm back in the game now. I've done some ripping but here are two basic questions.

1) In File Explorer view of my music, does the body of the screen (not the navigation tree) ALWAYS show: Name, Title, Contriubting Artist, and Album, regardless of naming string?

2) In the dbpa main screen how do I get back the headings and info in once I've unchecked all the heading listed in the pull-down in order to rearrange the presentation sequence. That screen is now completely blank.

Thanks,
    Don

Administrator

1) Yes, you can add the column filename.
    2) If you right click on the header above the check boxes (in CD Ripper) >> Default columns

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Thanks, Spoon:

How do I add the column filename in File Explorer as you indicate.

Don

dBpoweramp Guru

In File Explorer view of my music, does the body of the screen (not the navigation tree) ALWAYS show: Name, Title, Contriubting Artist, and Album, regardless of naming string?
    The naming string has nothing to do with the File Explorer configuration.

File Explorer is a Windows application used for file/folder management. The default details folder optimization view for music files, as defined by the windows OS, is what you are seeing e.g. Name, Title, Contriubting Artist, and Album etc.

You can change the customization for any folder in File Explorer, by right clicking on a folder and selecting Properties >> Customise tab. You can also change the columns displayed in a folder by right clicking on the column headings or via the View tab >> Add columns in the ribbon.

Sorry if I'm stating the bleedin' obvious here, as you probably already know all this since I recall, you've been using Windows for 37 years!!
    Last edited by mville; 05-24-2018 at 09:50 PM.