title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 LastLast

Thread: Set-Up for Ripping

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: Set-Up for Ripping

Don,
    I don't have the experience or knowledge of Dat Ei, but I'll give you my concerns for the "Greatest Hits" albums. In my music collection I have 9 albums titled "Greatest Hits", and 5 of the 9 have a genre of rock. If you use one of garym's recent naming strings

[MAXLENGTH]240,[genre]\[album] - Disc [disc]\[track] - [title] - [artist][]

When I rip the "Greatest Hits" CD by Neil Young, I'll get the following folder structure:

Rock\Greatest Hits - Disc 1\

with all of the tracks going into the Greatest Hits - Disc 1 folder.

Next when I rip the "Greatest Hits" CD by Queen because the genre is Rock and the album is Greatest Hits, all of the tracks will go into the Greatest Hits - Disc 1 folder which is where all of the Neil Young Greatest Hits tracks are located.

I wouldn't want all of my tracks from the Greatest Hits CDs to go to the same folder. When you look at the folder with File Explorer, you'll be able to determine who the tracks belong to because you have "artist" as part of the track name. For me, I wouldn't want all of the tracks by different artists in the same folder. This may not be a concern for you.

Also all of the track number 1s will be grouped together and the same for the track 2s, 3s, etc. when viewing the folder with File Explorer. Therefore it will be difficult to play the greatest hits for one artist using Folder search with your player.

You can avoid this issue by adding the artist name to the album title when ripping, but it means more typing and a chance for errors.

Gary

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Gary,
    I agree with you that I wouldn't want all the Greatest Hits albums' tracks dumped into the same folder.
    However, wouldn't the following album names be in different folders:
    Greatest Hits of the 60's,
    Greatest Hits of Rock and Roll,
    Greatest Hits of Frank Sinatra.

In other words, doesn't the FULL album title get ripped? If album titles are unique then it seems to me everything in OK.
    What am I not understanding?

Don

How can I change the sampling rate from 44.1 to higher?

dBpoweramp Guru

Just be aware in my collection of several thousand CDs, I just looked and I have 10 different CDs which are simply titled as "greatest hits". I have a lot more which have "greatest hits" as part of a longer title.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Don,
    The FULL album title on the 9 albums I mentioned is &*8220;Greatest Hits&*8221;. I agree that unique names like &*8220;Greatest Hits of the 60s&*8221; would go in their own folders. I have 9 albums out of approx 900 that have &*8220;Greatest Hits&*8221; as the full title. I want to make you aware of what can occur with the naming conventions you have been looking at. Your collection may only have one &*8220;Greatest Hits&*8221; album and there would be nothing to worry about. Obviously, the same thing would occur with any two albums with the same title, although I would think that would be rare.

Gary

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Thanks, Gary:

It the event that several "Greatest Hits" albums got dumped into the same folder, would they also show up as a single album in the Player search under "Album?"

Don

dBpoweramp Guru

Hey Gary,

Quote Originally Posted by GaryG45 View Post
    I don't have the experience or knowledge of Dat Ei, but I'll give you my concerns for the "Greatest Hits" albums.
    thanks for the compliment. You have understand the problems of that naming string. Even that very simple but not unlikely example of the "Greatest Hits" album Shows, that that naming string will produce Folders that are not unique.

A "good" naming string produces a simple but unique folder structure, which you can easily walk through. On every level of your folder structure you can easily decide in which sub folder to go next, if you are searching for something. This is the art to span a decision tree which you can easily traverse.

In Don's examples we see different problems. The first one is the one of albums with identical names. All files of albums with identical names will be stored in the same folder. So you'll have a lot of files in that folder, several track 1, track 2... And because the artist is missing in the naming string, you can't judge by the name, what's in the file. What a mess up!

Second problem: genre is part of the naming string. In case of multiple genres (genre is a multivalue tag) for an album or track, things become tricky. Which genre to choose for the folder name? Always the first one of the multiples? Ok, then be careful because "POP; ROCK" gives you a different structure in comparison to "ROCK; POP". Always take all genres for the naming? Not better at all - you will see the folder names "POP-ROCK" and "ROCK-POP" in that example. You can imagine how many permutations would be possible if you have asigned three or more genres for files or albums. How could you easily decide which way to go, if you traverse through your foilder structure. Big mess up again!

A good folder structure has to give you the chance to easily traverse the structure up and down by hand and to understand where you actually are in your structure if you see the path.

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by dbarnby View Post
    Thanks, Gary:

It the event that several "Greatest Hits" albums got dumped into the same folder, would they also show up as a single album in the Player search under "Album?"

Don
    Yes. Because the player will group albums based on the album title tag. With my Sonos app it shows as one album, and when I select it, I have multiple track 1s, 2s, 3s, etc. with only the track title; no artist information. This is how I would expect my player to work because it is based on the tags. The problem with the Album search is that you cannot play the Greatest Hits by a particular artist. You would have to search by Artist then select the Greatest Hits album, which is the way I usually play my music(select artist then album).

The main thing I wanted to make you aware of is that all of the Greatest Hits - Disc 1 tracks would be located in one folder. It is my preference to not have that organization, but that may be fine for you. You can still play the Greatest Hits album for a particular artist using your player and searching on artist then album.

Gary

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dbarnby View Post
    1) I assume the full names would be different, i.e. "Greaterst Hits of Elvis" and "Greatest Hits of the 60s," and that that would make the needed distinction.
    2) If there were a collision of names, wouldn't that happen no matter how one arranged the naming string?
    1. that's possible, but only if you give the albums those names on purpose. The metadata that auto fills will often just use "Greatest Hits" because that's the official name of the album. If you were using a folder for ARTIST with ALBUM subfolders underneath ARTIST (which is what most people do), then this wouldn't be a problem. For example, you'd have:

c:\music\rock\Elvis Presley\Greatest Hits\01 - track name.flac, etc.
    c:\music\rock\Tom Petty\Greatest Hits\01 - trackname.flac, etc.

2. The two greatest hit albums would be in entirely different subfolders (because under different artists), so there would be no collusion of names, even though both are named "Greatest Hits"

dBpoweramp Guru

If you use one of garym's recent naming strings

[MAXLENGTH]240,[genre]\[album] - Disc [disc]\[track] - [title] - [artist][]
    To be clear, that string is simply what I created to give dbarny the outcome he requested. My personal opinion is that this is a terrible organization scheme that will be a mess. But based on lots of back and forth on this issue, he really doesn't want the usual naming scheme/folder structure. The lack of an ARTIST folder will likely create lots of "name collusions", but to each their own.

dBpoweramp Guru

I just counted: I have 44 albums named simply, Greatest Hits.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

garym, yes the intention of the naming string was clear to me, and I should have made it clearer in my post. I totally agree with your opinion on the organization scheme. It is his music collection, so he can organize it the way it makes sense to him. Hopefully it will work for him.

dBpoweramp Guru

garym, yes the intention of the naming string was clear to me, and I should have made it clearer in my post. I totally agree with your opinion on the organization scheme. It is his music collection, so he can organize it the way it makes sense to him. Hopefully it will work for him.
    no problem. I just wanted to be crystal clear on that point in case some future reader of this thread only reads a few posts and somehow thinks that naming string is "recommended". ;-)

dBpoweramp Guru

The longer I make up my mind about the naming string genre->album->track, the more problems I see. Imagine that you rip a CD on which the tracks have different genres, like it can happen on soundtracks or Best-Of-Compilations. Those albums will be splitted into and stored in several folders. Is this a structure anybody really wants? Is this a structure at all?

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    I just counted: I have 44 albums named simply, Greatest Hits.
    Similar here, also Greatest Hits: Vol. 1 etc. I know some use Tom Petty - Greatest Hits, Greatest Hits (Tom Petty), or whatever variation they prefer: it simply adds time and makes the album name slightly more cumbersome, but does resolve a potential issue, if not using Artist / Album. There is a very elegant and simple solution!

Obviously some artists have had more than one Greatest Hits release, so a naming variation is required there.

Another potential clash is where you have multiple Compilations with the same name. Hits Of The 60s, is one that springs to mind!

I did forget I had two albums, The Very Best Of Cat Stevens, and, The Very Best Of Cat Stevens. The expected two becomes one occurred.....

A friend always tends to search primarily by Album, whereas I nearly always search by Artist, however, he still uses Artist / Album.

I honestly cannot come up with a reason not to use Artist / Album as players are designed around this format and Album, Artist and Genre searches managed by most apps.
    Last edited by Oggy; 04-26-2018 at 02:05 PM.