title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 19 of 31 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Set-Up for Ripping

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: Set-Up for Ripping

Thanks for the detail explanation.

Bottom line: Am I correct, then, that both of the following at true?

1) The settings I make in the tag panel will nave no influence on what I see in my Player if such Ripper Option under the green tab is not also checked.

2) Checking a sort-tag in the Ripper Option under the green tab will have no influence on what I see in my Player if I have not selected and named such sort tag in the tag panel.

dbarnby

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dbarnby View Post
    1) The settings I make in the tag panel will nave no influence on what I see in my Player if such Ripper Option under the green tab is not also checked.
    Correct.

Any tag populated anywhere in CD Ripper, is only written to the audio file, if it is ticked under the Write ID Tag options, unless it is a custom tag.

2) Checking a sort-tag in the Ripper Option under the green tab will have no influence on what I see in my Player if I have not selected and named such sort tag in the tag panel.
    Correct.

In CD Ripper, if a tag does not contain data, then CD Ripper will not write the tag to the audio file.
    Last edited by mville; 01-08-2018 at 01:53 PM. Reason: added custom tag exception

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Thanks, mville. I understand sort tags well enough now, I think, to proceed.
    I appreciate your help,
    dbarnby

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Now that I think I understand sort tags, I've looked over my list of remaining items to understand before doing serious ripping. Other than some miscellaneous cats and dogs, there are only 2 remaining issue: the first is to understand cover art, the second is to get Foobar2000 working. I'd like to take these one at a time.

Originally, I thought cover art was automatic; however, mention has been made in the forum of cover art "attached" to tags as well as albums. I don't understand that. Isn't cover art related only to album?

Also, isn't there, somewhere, where a person sees any number of cover art displays from the internet in order to select the one desired?

dBpoweramp Guru

Now that I think I understand sort tags, I've looked over my list of remaining items to understand before doing serious ripping. Other than some miscellaneous cats and dogs, there are only 2 remaining issue: the first is to understand cover art, the second is to get Foobar2000 working. I'd like to take these one at a time.

Originally, I thought cover art was automatic; however, mention has been made in the forum of cover art "attached" to tags as well as albums. I don't understand that. Isn't cover art related only to album?

Also, isn't there, somewhere, where a person sees any number of cover art displays from the internet in order to select the one desired?
    Hi Don,

When you insert a CD, the meta data will be pulled up, together with cover art. Occasionally no cover art will show, and even more rarely no information will show. So yes, the cover art is automatic.

You can pull up alternative covers, scan your own, or search elsewhere for art you prefer.

The art that will be displayed, will be up to the default sizes and will "embed" (added to each track) by default.

Have another look at post 239 on how to change these settings and instead of having a cover embedded in each track, have one in its own folder, within the album folder. This works well in Foobar, Bluesound and a number of other players.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Thanks, Oggy:

What you have said suggests to me that each of the items listed under "write ID Tags" is (when checked) attached to each track that is ripped (I thought they were attached to the CD as a whole). Are they attached to each track?

CD Metadata and ID Tag Options

You've mentioned the maximum pixel size and the maximum file size for Bluesound. Given those specs, what should I put for these two items? Should I be setting a default larger than what Blusound handles and let Bluesound provide the limit, or should it be equal to or less than Bluesound specs?

I don't fully understand all the items listed under PerfectMeta Options. I trust your judgement and recommendations, but I do want to learn what these mean. Here are some questions:

a) What does Disable tag writing do?

b) What does Lead Artist to First Position do?

c) Each Track Genre the Same

This suggests to me that Players treat one's music collection as a collection of Tracks rather than a collection of CD's. Is that correct?

Further, if I DIDN'T want each track genre to be the same, I guess that would mean that I would have to rip the disc several times with different tracks (and different genre) selected. Is that correct?

d) What is GD3: Remove 'Artist /' from Titles

Under Write ID Tags

e) What is a Multi genre?

f) What is a Style, and where is it set and used?

Do all settings made in this window stay set until they are manually changed?

You suggested I can get cover art from the internet; where do I get it, and how is it then incorporated into dbpa?

dBpoweramp Guru

What you have said suggests to me that each of the items listed under "write ID Tags" is (when checked) attached to each track that is ripped (I thought they were attached to the CD as a whole). Are they attached to each track?
    Before ripping any CDs, you must decide which tags you want written to your audio files. Then, you tick these tags under Write ID Tags. Once set, you probably never need to change these selections again and they will apply to every track on every CD you rip.

I don't fully understand all the items listed under PerfectMeta Options. I trust your judgement and recommendations, but I do want to learn what these mean. Here are some questions:

a) What does Disable tag writing do?
    Self-explanatory. It disables the writing of tags to your audio files.

d) What is GD3: Remove 'Artist /' from Titles
    Self-explanatory. If you select to Retrieve Metadata from the GD3 online provider, if the Title tag contains 'Artist /', then it is removed from the Title tag.

b) What does Lead Artist to First Position do?

c) Each Track Genre the Same
    See the Meta Data & ID Tag Options section on this webpage: CD Ripper: Advanced Options

Under Write ID Tags

e) What is a Multi genre?
    A genre that contains multiple values e.g. Latin; Jazz

f) What is a Style, and where is it set and used?
    Similar to Genre, it is used to describe the musical style and can also contain multiple values e.g.:
    Genre = Pop/Rock
    Style = Singer/Songwriter; Soft Rock

It is set in CD Ripper, just as any other tag.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Thanks, mville.
    dbarnby

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Here are some miscellaneous questions that remain:

1) Terminology: when one speaks of "audio" files is that referring to the files listed in the file explorer, or the Player, or both?

2) There are two check boxes to "set" compilation: 1) at top of screen, 2) under Naming/set. Experimentation shows that these two are not linked and so one could be checked and the other not. What is going on here?

3) Someone suggested that it's good to number songs to they play as on CD, not alphabetically. How is this done?

4) Also, someone suggested disallowing multi genres in metadata options. I don't know what "multi genres" refers to or how it is done.

5) What's the best way to handle a classical CD which is a compilation; there would be no one composer to sort on? Would this be handled by manually entering "various composers" when ripping, and then finding it under "various composers" when searching with the Player?

6) Does "View Track Artists" ck box under tag icon do anything other than provide info on the screen?

7) What does Verify Written Audio check box in the Encoder tab do?

8) When a CD is purchased on the internet does it go into the existing File Explorer, and Player index, or into a category of its own?

9) Under the green icon, what is ISRC and UPC?

10) Foobar shows track nos. as 1.02, 1.11, etc. not 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. How do I get simply 1, 2, 3, etc.?

11) Garym, in post * 69 you recommend:

don't worry too much about this. Very little is done there for most people. I only put one thing there. The "ReplayGain" DSP. This adds tag information that can be used to automatically adjust playback volume between tracks/albums. I have the dsp add both TRACK and ALBUM gain, using the R128 method, left at default of "-18"

Under the DSP tab I see only "Replay Gain" and "Replay Gain (apply)" but nothing about how either of these are being set to TRACK or ALBUM as you suggest. Where is that set?

What does the "apply" option do that you do not recommend?

12) As I look, with foobar2000, at the results of ripping 8 or 9 CDs onto my C: drive I see all the tracks from those CDs are listed in one huge continuous list. Is there a way to step into this music sequentially, first by genus, then by composer, then by album, then by track?

I've secured the Synology NAS, ethernet switch, and CAT 6 cable needed for this job. With answers to the above questions, I'm ready to embark on serious ripping.

I want to thank you all for your extremely valuable help.

dbarnby

dBpoweramp Guru

1) Terminology: when one speaks of "audio" files is that referring to the files listed in the file explorer, or the Player, or both?
    Audio files = ripped tracks. They are saved to the location which is defined in the Path and Naming sections of CD Ripper. This is basic, so before continuing, I suggest you read the web help pages, again.

2) There are two check boxes to "set" compilation: 1) at top of screen, 2) under Naming/set. Experimentation shows that these two are not linked and so one could be checked and the other not. What is going on here?
    1) sets the compilation tag data 2) controls what is displayed in the Naming Example box below the check box, based on your Dynamic Naming string.

3) Someone suggested that it's good to number songs to they play as on CD, not alphabetically. How is this done?
    By populating the Track tag.

4) Also, someone suggested disallowing multi genres in metadata options. I don't know what "multi genres" refers to or how it is done.
    You asked about multi genres earlier and I answered in post no. 277. Genre is a tag and you populate as you would any other tag. Disallow multi Genres is an option set in:
    CD Ripper Menu >> CD Ripper Options >> Meta Data & ID Tag options

5) What's the best way to handle a classical CD which is a compilation; there would be no one composer to sort on? Would this be handled by manually entering "various composers" when ripping, and then finding it under "various composers" when searching with the Player?
    Please can you explain there would be no one composer to sort on?

6) Does "View Track Artists" ck box under tag icon do anything other than provide info on the screen?
    It enables the Artist and Composer tag text boxes, in the Review Metadata window.

7) What does Verify Written Audio check box in the Encoder tab do?
    If you click the help icon in Encoder tab, you will get to the help page which explains the available options. Options will differ, depending on the format you are ripping to.

8) When a CD is purchased on the internet does it go into the existing File Explorer, and Player index, or into a category of its own?
    Do you mean a physical CD or a digital album download?

9) Under the green icon, what is ISRC and UPC?
    Search the internet for these terms.

10) Foobar shows track nos. as 1.02, 1.11, etc. not 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. How do I get simply 1, 2, 3, etc.?
    Foobar2000 questions belong in the foobar2000 forum.

The "ReplayGain" DSP. This adds tag information that can be used to automatically adjust playback volume between tracks/albums. I have the dsp add both TRACK and ALBUM gain, using the R128 method, left at default of "-18"

Under the DSP tab I see only "Replay Gain" and "Replay Gain (apply)" but nothing about how either of these are being set to TRACK or ALBUM as you suggest. Where is that set?

What does the "apply" option do that you do not recommend?
    Select the ReplayGain DSP settings, to configure the replaygain settings.

The ReplayGain DSP is non-destructive as it only writes the replaygain tags. The Replay Gain (apply) DSP is destructive and actually changes the digital audio volume, something you probably don't want.

12) As I look, with foobar2000, at the results of ripping 8 or 9 CDs onto my C: drive I see all the tracks from those CDs are listed in one huge continuous list. Is there a way to step into this music sequentially, first by genus, then by composer, then by album, then by track?
    Foobar2000 questions belong in the foobar2000 forum.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Mville, thank you. Here's what I understand from your answers:

2) My question: 2) There are two check boxes to "set" compilation: 1) at top of screen, 2) under Naming/set. Experimentation shows that these two are not linked and so one could be checked and the other not. What is going on here?

I understand from your answer that the first check box is what causes the system to employ Compilation, the second check box (under Naming/set) simply changes the display in the lower window for information purposes but does not affect the ripping. Is that correct?

3) My question: 3) Someone suggested that it's good to number songs to they play as on CD, not alphabetically. How is this done?

Your Answer: By populating the Track tag.

I don't know what is meant by "populating the Track tag." Where/How is that done? I don't see a place to populate a Track tag.

4) The point of my question is to distinguish between a single genre tag and more than one (multi) genre tags. Am I correct in understanding that there is only one genre tag not several (multi) and that the term "multi genre" is referring to a single genre name that contains a compound descriptor such as "Latin; Jazz?" Not a situation where there is a higher-level genre, such as Classical, beneath which there is another, second level genre (such as Symphonies)?

5) In classical music I want to sort on Composer (after genre). When a CD contains works of several composers I guess that I cannot do this, but would have to list "various" for Composer, and then search (in my Player) under "various" for the album I want. Do I understand this correctly?

6) The point of my question about "View Track Artist" check box was to learn whether or not this this check mark does anything other than provide on-screen information; i.e., does it change in any way what it ripped to the music file?

7) Thank you. I assume it's a good idea to check this box; right?

8) I'm talking about a digital download. Sorry I didn't make that clear.

9) Thank you

10) Thanks, I'll check foobar forum.

11) Replay Gain: Garym mentions (in post *69) that he has "the dsp add both TRACK and ALBUM gain, using the R128 method, left at default of "-18."

I don't see anywhere to apply replay gain for TRACK or for ALBUM. Are these both set when I check the box?

Further, I don't understand what it means when you say Replay Gain "only writes the Replay Gain tags."

And, I don't understand what is meant by "Replay Gain (apply) DSP is destructive and actually changes the digital audio volume, something you probably don't want."

When I check Replay Gain, what does it actually DO? When I use the "apply" version what does that DO? How are these different? (I accept your judgement that I probably don't want to use the "apply."

12) Thanks, I'll check foobar forum

dbarnby

dBpoweramp Guru

I understand from your answer that the first check box is what causes the system to employ Compilation, the second check box (under Naming/set) simply changes the display in the lower window for information purposes but does not affect the ripping. Is that correct?
    Yes.

Your Answer: By populating the Track tag.

I don't know what is meant by "populating the Track tag." Where/How is that done? I don't see a place to populate a Track tag.
    CD Ripper lists tracks on the CD by track number (see the first column with the tick boxes next to each track), so you don't have to manually populate the Track tag.

4) The point of my question is to distinguish between a single genre tag and more than one (multi) genre tags. Am I correct in understanding that there is only one genre tag not several (multi) and that the term "multi genre" is referring to a single genre name that contains a compound descriptor such as "Latin; Jazz?" Not a situation where there is a higher-level genre, such as Classical, beneath which there is another, second level genre (such as Symphonies)?
    There is a single Genre tag. It can contain a single value e.g. Classical or multiple values of equal hierarchy, which in the Illustrate software, are separated by a semi-colon and a space (; ) e.g. Latin; Jazz.

5) In classical music I want to sort on Composer (after genre). When a CD contains works of several composers I guess that I cannot do this, but would have to list "various" for Composer, and then search (in my Player) under "various" for the album I want. Do I understand this correctly?
    No and I don't know why you keep making such assumptions e.g. that you have to have 'various' for Composer. Each track has a different Title, so why not a different Composer? All my tracks (approx. 100,000) have the Composer (and ComposerSort) populated for each track.

6) The point of my question about "View Track Artist" check box was to learn whether or not this this check mark does anything other than provide on-screen information; i.e., does it change in any way what it ripped to the music file?
    No.

7) Thank you. I assume it's a good idea to check this box; right?
    Yes.

8) I'm talking about a digital download. Sorry I didn't make that clear.
    When you purchase digital download(s), you need to save them to a storage location, on your PC. It is down to you to decide where you save the downloads. This is a basic IT concept that has nothing to do with the software used here. If you aren't clear on how to save your purchased downloads, I would wait on purchasing until you do or maybe get a colleague to help you.

11) Replay Gain: Garym mentions (in post *69) that he has "the dsp add both TRACK and ALBUM gain, using the R128 method, left at default of "-18."

I don't see anywhere to apply replay gain for TRACK or for ALBUM. Are these both set when I check the box?

Further, I don't understand what it means when you say Replay Gain "only writes the Replay Gain tags."

And, I don't understand what is meant by "Replay Gain (apply) DSP is destructive and actually changes the digital audio volume, something you probably don't want."

When I check Replay Gain, what does it actually DO? When I use the "apply" version what does that DO? How are these different? (I accept your judgement that I probably don't want to use the "apply."
    I already explained where you set the values. There is also the help icon in the ReplayGain settings window, which explains how to use the DSP and it's settings. If this is still not clear enough, search these forums for ReplayGain as there are many threads on the subject, that will answer this and all your other ReplayGain questions.

dBpoweramp Guru

Don, some additional points following on from mville's excellent response.

5) From the naming script you are using, "Various" would go into a folder, Compilations. If you prefer Various, Various Artists, or for Classical, Various Composers, simply substitute Compilations, for whatever your preferred name is, in the naming string.

6) On some CDs, the composer name may not have been entered, by pressing View Track-Artists, you can enter the composer (and track artist), on any track in whatever format you prefer. For example, Mahler, Gustav and Beethoven, Ludwig van.

7) That is why it is a good idea to press it.

11) The ReplayGain tag, (NOT apply) is something you set once, by adding the DSP. This is simply a tag which is written into the file, and in no way alters the file. Some players can use this tag, others will simply ignore it, with no harm done; makes sense to use it. Both Foobar2000 and Bluesound, can use the ReplayGain, tag.

A number of modern CDs have been mastered noticeably louder than older ones, this useful feature, can reduce large changes is volume, when playing a different album, or different tracks in a playlist.

Like many, I recommend using the ReplayGain tag, but not apply.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

mville, you wrote (post *282) "I don't understand why you keep making such assumptions e.g. that you have to have 'various' for composer." I am not really making a true "assumption"; I am stating the basis for my question to learn if I understand. I thought that was clear.

In this case, I ask this question because at the top of the screen is a tag box labeled "composer." That, I believe, applies to the CD. If the CD contains two works of music by different composers, then when I rip the CD it seems that both works would be identified with that composer. I'm trying to understand this. (for classical music I want to sort by composer).

Perhaps this is no problem because the metadata search overrides what I put in this box and attaches the correct composer to each Track regardless of what I typed in the box. If that is the case, then I assume (again) that the composer I type into the composer box is then automatically changed to something like "various." Could you please tell me if I've figured this out correctly? If I haven't can you see where I've gone wrong?

dBpoweramp Guru

mville, you wrote (post *282) "I don't understand why you keep making such assumptions e.g. that you have to have 'various' for composer." I am not really making a true "assumption"; I am stating the basis for my question to learn if I understand. I thought that was clear.

In this case, I ask this question because at the top of the screen is a tag box labeled "composer." That, I believe, applies to the CD.
    And that is an assumption. Reading the help pages you would have read this:
    If no tracks are selected then Global meta data (ie the same data applying to all tracks) is listed.

So, the Composer text box is global, if no tracks are selected, but if you select a track(s), then the Composer text box relates to the selected track(s) only.