title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Media Player suggestions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Media Player suggestions

OK, so here's my problem.

With the help of several people on this forum I have finally managed to set up dBpa such that it names my music as I want it to and my Finder folder is correct. I listen to classical music primarily and want the folder structure to be Media/Music/Composer/Work/Conductor-Orchestra/track... I get this by using the following:

[tag]composersort[]/[album]/[conductor]-[tag]orchestra[]/[track]-[title]

I now want to use a Media Player software that will present that information as my Finder folder stores it. I have struggled with Plex for a long time now but it insists on using only the format it wants to use, ie Artist/Album/track which means that I have to do a lot of editing to get it looking as I want it. With an 800+ CD collection to work through, that is too much for me to contemplate.

Does anyone have any suggestions about other OSX software that might do what I want? That is, show the music in the same way Finder does - almost a 'prettier' Finder?

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Media Player suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by nicholson2002 View Post
    OK, so here's my problem.

With the help of several people on this forum I have finally managed to set up dBpa such that it names my music as I want it to and my Finder folder is correct. I listen to classical music primarily and want the folder structure to be Media/Music/Composer/Work/Conductor-Orchestra/track... I get this by using the following:

[tag]composersort[]/[album]/[conductor]-[tag]orchestra[]/[track]-[title]

I now want to use a Media Player software that will present that information as my Finder folder stores it. I have struggled with Plex for a long time now but it insists on using only the format it wants to use, ie Artist/Album/track which means that I have to do a lot of editing to get it looking as I want it. With an 800+ CD collection to work through, that is too much for me to contemplate.

Does anyone have any suggestions about other OSX software that might do what I want? That is, show the music in the same way Finder does - almost a 'prettier' Finder?
    what is PLEX serving music to? Plex is not the player, it is the server. Is it sending music to a DLNA/UpNp capable stereo system? If so, take a look at ASSET, by maker of dbpa.

https://www.dbpoweramp.com/asset-upnp-dlna.htm

I personally don't use it (because I have network music players that are not DLNA, but use a different approach. But many people seem very happy with ASSET and it is configurable.

Yes, I meant media server. At the moment, I have my Plex Server and Plex Player on the same device, a Macbook Pro.

Thanks for the suggestion on ASSET. I'll take a look.

dBpoweramp Guru

How do you intend on listening to the music. More details on your pc/network/hi-fi setup would help here?