title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Batch conversion of WHOLE/COMPLETE music folders with artwork

Batch conversion of WHOLE/COMPLETE music folders with artwork

Hello to the forum. I don't think that I have posted before so please excuse any ignorance that I might display. I have ripped my entire cd collection to wav and flac master album/folders with metadata (time consuming). Now I would like to make a complete conversion of my wav masters to mp3 192 for travel and universal compatibility. In the batch conversion mode I have not found an option to batch convert whole/complete folders preserving the metadata folder. In other words a complete folder just like the wav master except now in mp3 format. The only option I have is to re-create the folder and subfolder on the mp3 drive and use these as destination folders for the conversion. Then I have to copy and paste the metadata folder to the music folder. This is cumbersome and time consuming.
    So, am I missing something. Is there a way to batch convert a music folder whole and complete with metadata? If not, WHY THE HECK NOT

Administrator

Re: Batch conversion of WHOLE/COMPLETE music folders with artwork

Your wave files are tagged (tags embedded in the wave files) or you have external files with the tags?

Thanks for getting back Spoon. Actually I don't think that they are tagged. There is a subfolder with album art and music files within the folder. I have two master sets of "packages" of music albums, one wav and one flac, that I ripped with dbpa. These are my music masters. Each album/folder is a folder (group name) subfolder (album title). Within the subfolder are the music files along with the album art folder. I would really love to duplicate each "package" in one step, with the folder/subfolder/album art intact, but with the music files converted to mp3. This should be a simple process for any dedicated converter, so I think I'm missing something. What I have done so far is to re-create the folder and subfolder on the destination drive, convert the music files to the subfolder, and then copy and paste the album art folder into the subfolder. I works but there's got to be a better way. By the way I'm not sure if I understand "tagging" completely as I am fairly new to the music conversion crowd and all of the associated jargon. The song number and title are listed. Does this mean that they are "tagged? The only external file that I am aware of is the album art file within the subfolder.

Administrator

You can use the DSP effect 'Preserve Folder.jpg' to copy the art.

Also set the output filename to:

[origpath]\[origfilename]

and the tree structure is preserved.

I tested this output file naming [origpath]\[origfilename] which does not seem to provide sub-folders within a folder ie Creeedence Clearwater Revival/ Cosmo's Factory is followed by Willy and The Poor Boy's which is a separate album however it is listed in the same folder. Is there a way to have each CD appear in it's own distinct folder beneath the main folder?

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    You can use the DSP effect 'Preserve Folder.jpg' to copy the art.

Also set the output filename to:

[origpath]\[origfilename]

and the tree structure is preserved.

Administrator

[origpath]\[origfilename] uses the same naming as already there.

It sounds like you want to create your own naming, using the values from the ID Tags, such as:

[artist]\[album]\[title]

Regardless of which method is used yields the same results in this case. I am trying to convert FLAC files which are already in folders labelled with the artists name. Since I typically have several CD's from the same artist I wish to have separate folders for each CD from that artist as sub folders. This is how they appear in my FLAC files. When I convert to MP3 and use either the [artist]\[Album]\[Title] or alternatively use the [Origpath]\[Origfilename] I get all of the selected CD's appearing in the directory with no folder created and labelled as it appears in the FLAC original.

dBpoweramp Guru

Are you using multiencoder? Did you specify path and naming for each encoder?

Dat Ei

I am only using one encoder converting from FLAC to MP3. I therefore only am able to select one path to direct the output files to. The problem is that only one directory is made for an artist and the folder does not have sub-folders created for each album from that artist. This makes things a real mess when the artist has multiple releases and you have to then edit the folder after the conversion.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ghibliss View Post
    I am only using one encoder converting from FLAC to MP3. I therefore only am able to select one path to direct the output files to. The problem is that only one directory is made for an artist and the folder does not have sub-folders created for each album from that artist. This makes things a real mess when the artist has multiple releases and you have to then edit the folder after the conversion.
    You need to set the dynamic naming string to create album subfolders. Something like

[artist]\[album]\[track] - [title]

depending on whether you are using windows or Mac, the slashes might be forward slashes rather than back slashes.