title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Bit depth confusion

Bit depth confusion

I have version 16 of dbPoweramp. Under DSP tab the fixed bit depth is set at 16 bit. I have ripped my CDs as flac files with this 16 bit setting.
    I have just purchased a Benchmark 3 HGC DAC and its indicator lights say it is receiving a 24 bit depth stream. Is there a problem with dbPoweramp? or could just be a problem with my new DAC?...which I feel is unlikely.
    All helpful comments will be appreciated.
    BruceJim

Administrator

Re: Bit depth confusion

You can see the bitdepth of any ripped file by holding the mouse over it, the yellow popup will show bit depth. The value shown is 100% reliable for lossless files.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BruceJim View Post
    I have version 16 of dbPoweramp. Under DSP tab the fixed bit depth is set at 16 bit. I have ripped my CDs as flac files with this 16 bit setting.
    I have just purchased a Benchmark 3 HGC DAC and its indicator lights say it is receiving a 24 bit depth stream. Is there a problem with dbPoweramp? or could just be a problem with my new DAC?...which I feel is unlikely.
    All helpful comments will be appreciated.
    BruceJim
    What player are you using? For example, I use LMS and it converts* all files to 24/44.1 and uses the extra 8 bits to do digital volume management, etc. without impacting the lower 16 bits (that contain the audio). I suspect your player is doing something similar.

* by convert, I don't mean that it touches the files themselves. They remain lossless 16/44.1 files. But LMS *streams* the files to my DAC as 24/44.1. Roon does something similar and I think even foobar2000 has a setting for this. So it's not unusual.
    Last edited by garym; 06-14-2017 at 07:53 AM.

garym...thanks for your comments: I am using a Sonos Connect to stream to my Benchmark 3 HGC. On this basis my Benchmark 3 cannot really tell me whether it is receiving a 16 bit music file or a 24 bit music file can it?
    Could it be that all 44.1 kHz files are 16 bit depth anyway? Hope I make sense...
    BruceJim

dBpoweramp Guru

garym...thanks for your comments: I am using a Sonos Connect to stream to my Benchmark 3 HGC. On this basis my Benchmark 3 cannot really tell me whether it is receiving a 16 bit music file or a 24 bit music file can it?
    Could it be that all 44.1 kHz files are 16 bit depth anyway? Hope I make sense...
    BruceJim

If this was truly a 24 bit file, Sonos wouldn't even play it as SONOS products won't play 24 bit files...produces an error. (but I suspect the Connect then produces a 24 bit *stream* from the file to handle digital volume)

No, not all 44.1 files are 16 bit. It is possible to to have a 24/44.1 (just like it is possible to have a 16/48 or 24/96 or 24/192, etc. But a regular redbook (normal) CD is *always* 16/44.1. As spoon noted, it is easy to confirm your ripped files are 16/44.1. Right click on a file, then select properties, then select "audio properties" tab. It will tell you the sample rate and bit depth.

dBpoweramp Guru

I have version 16 of dbPoweramp. Under DSP tab the fixed bit depth is set at 16 bit.
    I'm curious. Why are you using a "bit depth DSP" when ripping? This is not needed if ripping a regular CD. Such a rip will be 16/44.1 automatically.