title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Can't rip, won't rip

Can't rip, won't rip

Though difficult to describe what's happening, I have failed to rip one of my CDs: High by The Blue Nile. I understand that it may feature some kind of copy protection. Is there a solution?

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Can't rip, won't rip

Quote Originally Posted by oldius View Post
    Though difficult to describe what's happening, I have failed to rip one of my CDs: High by The Blue Nile. I understand that it may feature some kind of copy protection. Is there a solution?
    what error message do you get? What do the logs say (turn on full logging in your CD Ripper settings)

I just tried ripping the first few tracks. As you can see, it ripped five tracks in about 15 seconds which isn't possible.

Information ripping to Aiff, 'Track 1' to 'C:\Users\Geoff Old\Music\Music collection\Music\Unknown Artist\01 Unknown Artist - Track 1.aif'
    Track 1: Ripped LBA -1 to 15963 (3:32) in 0:03. Filename: C:\Users\Geoff Old\Music\Music collection\Music\Unknown Artist\01 Unknown Artist - Track 1._
    AccurateRip: Inaccurate (confidence 5) Secure [Pass 1 & 2]
    CRC32: 3B62FEF7 AccurateRip CRC: FBBFEB5D (CRCv2) [DiscID: 009-000a4c24-0044b38c-37000463-1]

Information ripping to Aiff, 'Track 2' to 'C:\Users\Geoff Old\Music\Music collection\Music\Unknown Artist\02 Unknown Artist - Track 2.aif'
    Track 2: Ripped LBA 15963 to 35929 (4:26) in 0:02. Filename: C:\Users\Geoff Old\Music\Music collection\Music\Unknown Artist\02 Unknown Artist - Track 2._
    Secure [Pass 1 & 2]
    CRC32: 9973F1BD AccurateRip CRC: 00000000 (CRCv2) [DiscID: 009-000a4c24-0044b38c-37000463-2]

Information ripping to Aiff, 'Track 4' to 'C:\Users\Geoff Old\Music\Music collection\Music\Unknown Artist\04 Unknown Artist - Track 4.aif'
    Track 4: Ripped LBA 59980 to 77491 (3:53) in 0:00. Filename: C:\Users\Geoff Old\Music\Music collection\Music\Unknown Artist\04 Unknown Artist - Track 4._
    [Pass 1 & 2]
    CRC32: 0DE942D7 AccurateRip CRC: 00000000 (CRCv2) [DiscID: 009-000a4c24-0044b38c-37000463-4]

Information ripping to Aiff, 'Track 3' to 'C:\Users\Geoff Old\Music\Music collection\Music\Unknown Artist\03 Unknown Artist - Track 3.aif'
    Track 3: Ripped LBA 35929 to 59980 (5:20) in 0:02. Filename: C:\Users\Geoff Old\Music\Music collection\Music\Unknown Artist\03 Unknown Artist - Track 3._
    Secure [Pass 1 & 2]
    CRC32: EC9A8C38 AccurateRip CRC: 00000000 (CRCv2) [DiscID: 009-000a4c24-0044b38c-37000463-3]

dBpoweramp Guru

odd. showing it ripped track 1 in .03 seconds. makes no sense. and the other tracks have 0000000000 CRCs. Probably not the issue, but what happens if you try to rip to FLAC or mp3. Same issue?

Maybe spoon has some ideas? Any reason why the metadata is not being picked up (does the machine have an internet connection?)

Yes, full internet connection.

I have searched and this is a common issue for this cd. It has some kind of protection but I was hoping that there may be a DB solution out there. Thanks for the help so far.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by oldius View Post
    Yes, full internet connection.

I have searched and this is a common issue for this cd. It has some kind of protection but I was hoping that there may be a DB solution out there. Thanks for the help so far.
    I have had similar results attempting to rip other protected or Copy Controlled discs, and succeeded with a different drive.

However, I believe that on High, copy protection was added accidentally(!) and one of the highest levels was applied, there may be a hidden first track protection, going on too. Sanctuary were replacing the disc, with copies without protection, but I'm not sure if they are still in business. There are certainly some copies out there, without protection.

Blue Nile have had more than their fair share of problems with ripping, as the early pressings of Hats, had pre-emphasis. Again later pressings, with pink label, (pre-emph pressings had blue label) resolves this.

It may be worth trying to rip, High, in iTunes.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Oggy; 06-14-2017 at 06:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
    I have had similar results attempting to rip other protected or Copy Controlled discs, and succeeded with a different drive.

However, I believe that on High, copy protection was added accidentally(!) and one of the highest levels was applied, there may be a hidden first track protection, going on too. Sanctuary were replacing the disc, with copies without protection, but I'm not sure if they are still in business. There are certainly some copies out there, without protection.

Blue Nile have had more than their fair share of problems with ripping, as the early pressings of Hats, had pre-emphasis. Again later pressings, with pink label, (pre-emph pressings had blue label) resolves this.

It may be worth trying to rip, High, in iTunes.

Good luck!
    I have tried with Itunes but no joy either.

dBpoweramp Guru

Reading up on High, it certainly seems to be the most problematical CD to rip. I own, A Walk Across The Rooftops and Hats, but gave up waiting for the follow up!

Someone has claimed success ripping High, with EAC, but I cannot confirm that this was a protected copy.
    Last edited by Oggy; 06-16-2017 at 07:10 PM.