title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Playing FLAC files in my car

Playing FLAC files in my car

I want to transfer FLAC files to a separate device to play them through the "aux" input in my car. Looks like I have two alternatives:

1. I have a 4- year old mobile phone available with slot for an SD card. I could buy music player software ("Rocket Music Player" seems to have a good reputation) and play the files through that phone, or...
    2. Buy a dedicated music storage and playback device (e.g. the Fiio X-3 Second Gen) and use its headphone or line out jack.

Any opinions on which would retain the better sound quality?? (I assume that either one would be a better alternative to playing the files using the vehicle's internal capability?) ...OR would either alternative make any noticeable difference? Also -- any recs on music player software of devices?

Thanks, All.
    Last edited by wdesbrow; 05-12-2017 at 12:26 PM. Reason: typo

Re: Playing FLAC files in my car

Well, since you've asked for opinions . . . . .

I've been in a state of analysis paralysis trying to figure out the best way to play my recently converted CD collection (to FLAC files) on my legacy home stereo system. And based on all the reading I've been doing, I'd say convert your FLAC files to a 'high quality' MP3 format (say 192k for example). From there you have a myriad of options for the playback, depending on the vintage of your car, you may even be able to play them directly off a thumb-drive.

An audiophile I'm not, but again, from everything I've read, it is unlikely you would be able to tell the difference between a high-sample-rate MP3 and FLAC file in an automotive application. Also, if your FLAC files are based on rips of your CD library my prior comment is all the more likely to be true.
    Last edited by GenesisG80; 05-20-2017 at 08:50 PM. Reason: clarification