title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Pros/Cons of 64 vs forced 32-bit installation on Windows 10-64 bit?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 111MilesToGo
    • Jan 2015

Pros/Cons of 64 vs forced 32-bit installation on Windows 10-64 bit?

I would like input regarding pros/cons of a forced 32-bit installation of dBpoweramp (ripper and converter, maybe also PerfectTunes) on a Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Creators Update machine.

Background: I would be happily running the 64-bit versions only. However, I need the SHN codec (32-bit only) in order to convert SHN files to FLAC. SHN's don't play except in foobar2000, e.g. not in the car. Thus, I have my regular Win10-64 as a virtual machine in VirtualBox (Linux host) for everything except that particular SHN-to-FLAC conversion. And I still maintain a Windows XP 32-bit virtual machine solely for this purpose. Would like to get rid of the XP machine for reasons of space and the maintenance efforts when a new version of Oracle's VirtualBox comes out once a month.

Are there any disadvantages if I were to do a forced 32-bit installation under Win10-64 as my only dBpoweramp installation? I do rip quite some CDs, and I do quite some audio codec conversions (all lossless) on at times particularly long tracks. Would I sacrifice performance (speed) in 32-bits due to less RAM being available? Running a virtual machine Windows does compromise a lot by itself (only 2 out of the 4 CPUs, 10 GB out of 16 of RAM). Next (side) topic: What about PerfectTunes?
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Pros/Cons of 64 vs forced 32-bit installation on Windows 10-64 bit?

No real problems.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• 111MilesToGo
      • Jan 2015

Re: Pros/Cons of 64 vs forced 32-bit installation on Windows 10-64 bit?

Thanks.

Comment

Working...

]]>