title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: SACD/DSD/DFF - simple answer on frequency

SACD/DSD/DFF - simple answer on frequency

Hi,
    What's the simple answer on best frequency setting to use on the converter for going from SACD/DSD/DFF files to ALAC/FLAC. The batch converter menu says 96 is recommended but a number of people say 88.2 or 176 because that's the native frequency. Any help in understanding would be appreciated!

Re: SACD/DSD/DFF - simple answer on frequency

Sorry I realise now i have a couple other questions on converting SACD/DSD/DSF files. In addition to the question on recommended frequency, is there any recommended volume option/dsp for SACD/DSD/DSF files or can I should I leave volume alone? Also, the DSP for ID tag processing has been added in the converter -- I son't think I added it so I was wondering if that is a default or recommended? Are there any other DSP/options recommended for basic SACD/DSD/DSF conversion? Sorry to ask so many questions if there is a page on configuration for this that I've missed, please let me know.

Administrator

The native frequency of DSD/DFF is over 1MHz, but is only 1 bit.

You can normalize as well if required.

DSD sampling rate is 2,8224MHz which is 64x44,1kHz, 32x88.2kHz or 16x176kHz.
    Multiples of 44.1, e.g. 88.2 or 176, are preferred when converting to avoid rounding errors
    and thus decimate cleanly.
    Last edited by marcaurel; 05-02-2017 at 08:50 AM.

Administrator

Decimation is never used by quality frequency converters as decimation although appearing to be clean, it introduces aliases.

Thanks for the speedy responses from both of you. My technical knowledge is extremely limited but i interpreted one of you to be saying go for 44.1, 88.2 or 176 and the other to be saying it doesn't matter on the dbpoweramp converter.

How about I ask the question differently: what would each of you recommend I set the frequency at for conversion of dsf to alac 1) 88.2, 2) 96, or 3 something else?

Also, I had asked about volume levels because I had seen something to suggest volume levels for flac or alas files might be lower than dsf but reading a bit more on the subject, I've drawn the conclusion this is not necessarily true so there is no technical reason to recommend adjusting the volume -- but if you have a different recommendation please let me know?