title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Album Artist ~ (Track) Artist - Recent change in display? Help!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MusicMad
    • Dec 2014

Album Artist ~ (Track) Artist - Recent change in display? Help!

I've posted this query on the Naim Forum~Streaming but have had no luck re: finding a solution. Perhaps better luck awaits ...
    Set-up:

QNAP453PRO with music stored FLAC
    Asset UPnP Version: R5.1 Premium Registered
    Naim NDX (via switch~ethernet cable)
    Various control points (e.g. iPad running App version 5.5.5 / 505505)
    Tagging via Tag&Rename v.3.9.13

I have a large-ish music collection, a significant portion of which is Classical . As is known, such works create an issue re: tagging. Whereas for the Frank Sinatra album, the singer is both the Album Artist and (Track) Artist, for the common Mozart album, Mozart will be the Album Artist but the (Track) Artist will be any one of many, such as Karajan or Davis or Abbado ... etc.

At least, this is so in my library

Up until last week this worked fine: I've incorporated the Performer's name (i.e. the Track Artist) into the music title, e.g.:

Symphony *38, K504 in D "Prague" [Karajan/BPO/1970] distinguishing this recording from other Karajan recordings of the same work.

The music is selected via any of the menus:
    • Album Artist (which is based on the Windows File Explorer directory, albeit it includes Track Artists' names) ... head for Mozart and then album
    • Artist / Album ... head for Karajan and then album
    • Album ... head for the album (Music title)
    • Composer ... head for Mozart and then album

and these continue to work as before. But: once the music is playing we now see the Performer's name (=Track Artist) rather than the Album Artist' name.

So, my question: why has this change occured and how can I correct it? ...i.e. this is not satisfactory!

Last week I updated my QNAP453PRO NAS to Firmware version 4.3.3.0154 and then found I had to update the Asset UPnP server to version 5.1 as the installed version no longer worked.

Hence, I do not know whether this unwanted change re: Track Artist's name replacing Album Artist's name is due to the update of Asset (to v.5.1) or to on-going changes/updates to the Naim app.

On the plus-side, it appears to have solved my on-going problems re: Various Artists' albums but I'd much prefer to be where I was last week rather than with this new problem!

Any help, guidance ... please.

Cheers,

Mitch
    Last edited by MusicMad; 04-26-2017, 05:35 PM.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Album Artist ~ (Track) Artist - Recent change in display? Help!

This is as it should be, the track artist should be displayed not the album artist. When playing a single track the artist overrides the album artist. However it is the naim app which is choosing to display artist over album artist, Asset simply sends both.

Previously Asset was not supplying Artist in a format that the naim would read, so was only ever displaying album artist, we have corrected this anomaly.
    Last edited by Spoon; 04-27-2017, 09:20 AM.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• MusicMad
      • Dec 2014

Thank you, Spoon, for your confirmation that this matter arose as a result of a change in Asset UPnP, rather than the Naim App ... at least I need not get onto Naim to get this sorted.*

Which begs the question: is there any way under Asset R5.1 to re-instate the anomaly? As I've spent so much time setting up my library to work within those confines I don't want this new arrangement. I disagree that this is "... as it should be ..." as it's logical, in classical music, to have the composer as the Album Artist with the performer(s) as the Track Artist(s). But, clearly, I'm in a minority and have to work with what's available, so: is it possible to include a setting within the Configuration page so that the Album Artist takes precedence (you say that Asset sends both)?

Cheers,

* Or, perhaps, Naim could allow the user to choose ... now that would be customer service!

Mitch

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

Previously you could describe it as a bug, I am sorry that fixing this bug has changed the way you want the program to work, however reverting this bug would affect much more than the naim program.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>