title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Can't convert FLAC level 5 to FLAC uncompressed

Can't convert FLAC level 5 to FLAC uncompressed

I've just used CD Ripper to put my whole CD collection on my NAS drive. Big job!

I used FLAC level 5 compression but in playing on my Cyrus Streamer Xa, it didn't sound as good as the CDs on the same set-up. After discussing with Cyrus, they recommended trying FLAC level 0 or uncompressed. I have and the sounds is quite a bit clearer--just like the CD.

So now I want to convert my whole collection without re-ripping.

I tried Music Convertor on a file but if I try to get it to convert a FLAC level to uncompressed I get an error window with to source and destination file and then "Error no encoder specified. [dBCoreConverter::ParseCommandLine]".

If I do a first conversion from my FLAC level 5 to WAV, then I do a second conversion from WAV to FLAC uncompressed, it works.

Clearly I don't want to do a double conversion for my whole collection if I can help it. Help please!?

Administrator

Re: Can't convert FLAC level 5 to FLAC uncompressed

Update your dBpoweramp to the latest R16.2, you must have an older version.

dBpoweramp Guru

Before wasting your time converting all your FLAC files, it is important that you understand that whether the FLAC file was created with compression level 5 (or anything) or FLAC uncompressed, the file is converted to the same bit-identical data stream by your server before being played by your player. So there should be NO DIFFERENCE. Lossless is lossless. Given that you hear a difference, I'd suggest a double-blind (or at least single blind) test to see if you can detect which is which. The mind plays powerful tricks on us!

Many thanks for both replies.

Spoon: You were right...I was on R16.1, just upgraded to R16.2 and indeed I can do my compressed to uncompressed conversion. Problem solved.

garym: I definitely need to double-check my perceptions and will before any mass migration. Like you, I cannot understand the mechanism for a difference. There's an extra variable I'm playing with too: whether I use my Chord Chorus interconnects between preamp and amp and my newer Chord Shawlines from the streamer to preamp or vice versa. Of course I've held this constant for each compressed / uncompressed test but it seems to change the balance (I think...).

dBpoweramp Guru

At least now the conversion will be one easy batch step!