title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Process of Replay Gain on Mac

Process of Replay Gain on Mac

I need to tag my music with Replay Gain. I`m on a Mac and want to apply the effect on the iTunes Media folder. When I start the batch processing and I convert to "Replay Gain" - are the files encoded/decoded (what could make the sound quality worse)? Or does DBPA just "tag" the files like with this utility codecs that just run on Windows?

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Process of Replay Gain on Mac

As you seem aware, in terms of digital audio, the ReplayGain utility codec for Windows is non-destructive and just calculates and writes the ReplayGain tags.

I assume the utility codec available on the mac is the same, but as I do not use the mac version, I cannot be sure.

Why not copy an album in your iTunes library, to a location separate to the iTunes library and test the process yourself?

... I have just realised that you are double posting, very annoying!!
    Last edited by mville; 04-11-2017 at 11:59 AM. Reason: double posting

I won`t hear a difference (I think nobody would hear this difference with high-quality-files). But if there`s a quality loss, it would be a problem. I have AIFF and Apple Lossless and produce things for a radio station. And they won`t accept files with this quality loss.

dBpoweramp Guru

If the ReplayGain utility/DSP on the mac is destructive (Spoon will have to confirm this), then copy the AIFF and Apple Lossless to a windows PC. Then, you are able to run the ReplayGain utilty codec on the files, before submitting them to the radio station.
    Last edited by mville; 04-11-2017 at 12:18 PM.

As a user of the macOS version, all the replaygain codec does to the file is tag the files.

Administrator

If convert to [ReplayGain] as the encoder, then the audio is not changed.