title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: adding new folder shortcuts

adding new folder shortcuts

i know about the dynamic path system, but is there a way to just add a new folder shortcut to the list on the left when you open batch converter?

i see music, public music, hard disc (C) etc., but i would like to add a direct shortcut to where i need to go.

all i want to do is add a 'downloads' folder to the list, so i can go straight there without having to navigate through hard disc (c) / users / username / downloads to get there.

Administrator

Re: adding new folder shortcuts

If you were to share the downloads folder, then open the Network >> computer name

you would see the shared folder, right click >> map network drive

it would assign a drive letter to this location which would be permanent.

sorry spoon, i have no idea what you mean by "share the downloads folder".

i tried googling it before coming back here to reply, but i still cannot find clarification of what it means.

Administrator

In Windows File Explorer:

Open Downloads >> click on 'This Pc' on the address bar, then right click on 'Downloads' folder >> Properties >> Sharing and click 'Share' to set up a share (share with your own user account).

again, sorry spoon, but i have never done this before, and i am completely baffled.

i found the proper folder by going through 'computer / local disk (C) / users / username.

i think i have set up sharing on the downloads folder.

BUT, it is saying the 'users' folder is shared, but i never set that up to be shared.

why?

long story short, i soldiered on, mapped the 'shared' drive as 'Z'.

went into batch converter, only saw network drive (Z).

i still have to go through users / username etc.

if i went to the downloads folder and selected 'share', why isn't it listed in the batch page?

if i selected 'downloads', why is the 'user' folder set up to share when i didn't set that folder up to share?

this does not make any sense to me :(
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator

It is just Windows...

Click the Advanced Sharing button (on your image), then click 'Share this folder', click permissions, for the user everyone remove the check for read access, then click Add, type your user name then Ok, then for this user check all 3 boxes, click ok, ok, close. Now if you look under your network for your computer you will see a downloads folder, this one needs mapping.

hooray!!

it worked.

you didn't mention 'advanced sharing' previously, but i remember looking at it and thinking "maybe i should try this?".
    i decided not to, as i didin't really know what i was doing