title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: can CD Ripper rip HD audio CDs?

Unhappy can CD Ripper rip HD audio CDs?

Silly question, I suppose, since the CD ripper doesn't seem to recognize that an HD audio CD is in the (blu-ray) drive. But can the ripper rip an HD audio CD at all, and if not, does dbPoweramp have another trick up its sleeve?

best,
    Pluto46

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: can CD Ripper rip HD audio CDs?

No, CDRipper rips standard CD-DA (red-book) audio CDs only. Your HD audio CD is probably not a CD at all, rather a DVD or blu-ray disc.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

dbAmp can rip HDCD's since they are compatible with the redbook standard: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_D...atible_Digital

However, as stated above, your disc is probably not a redbook-type audio-cd.

Ok, thanks. Not sure whether it's a red book standard, but it's a Naxos opera cd, with about 3 hours of music instead of the usual 80 minutes. Naxos call it a High Definition Audio disk.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Pluto46 View Post
    Ok, thanks. Not sure whether it's a red book standard, but it's a Naxos opera cd, with about 3 hours of music instead of the usual 80 minutes. Naxos call it a High Definition Audio disk.
    These seem to be blu-ray disks containing audio. dbpa won't rip these.
    http://www.naxos.com/feature/Naxos_A...ile_Corner.asp

You might try DVD audioextractor:
    http://www.dvdae.com/

Yepp, that's the type of CD. I bought a couple because they were cheaper than buying 5 ordinary CDs. I've got a good Blu-ray player I can play them on, but I just like ripping my CDs.

And thanks for the tip, garym. I'll give it a look.
    Last edited by Pluto46; 03-14-2017 at 09:51 AM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Pluto46 View Post
    Yepp, that's the type of CD. I bought a couple because they were cheaper than buying 5 ordinary CDs. I've got a good Blu-ray player I can play them on, but I just like ripping my CDs.
    FYI, they aren't CDs. CD stands for compact disc, a type of optical storage media. The disc format garym refers to is another type of optical storage media called Blu-ray disc, abbreviation BD, not to be confused with another type of optical storage media called digital versatile disc, abbreviation DVD.

Although they might all look the same, they are in fact, quite different.