title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Performer tag after m4a conversion

Performer tag after m4a conversion

I have converted some files to m4a which include the metadata tag "Performer". I know iTunes does not use this tag (yet!), but other software does. However, I cannot seem to read the Performer tag in the converted file in any of my other software. Foobar shows it as being blank, MP3tag does not show it at all and Muso can't read it either. However, Edit ID-tag shows it as being present and correct. It clearly is there, at least as far as dBpoweramp is concerned, because if I convert it from m4a to mp3 then it is visible in the mp3 file to the other software. I'm trying to understand whether this is an issue with dBpoweramp, m4a, or all the other software. If anyone can shed some light on this, then please let me know - also, is there any other software which is known to work with m4a and read all the tags?
    Thanks

Administrator

Re: Performer tag after m4a conversion

Perhaps it has a different name in the other programs?

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Perhaps it has a different name in the other programs?
    I don't think so, as I have looked at all the tags to see if the content of the Performer tag is there. I have used Foobar, Mp3tag and Tagscanner to look for it and none of them show it - only Edit ID-tag. There is also another (custom)tag called SUPPORTPERFORMER which I constructed in mp3tag before converting to m4a with dBpoweramp. This is shown in all programs. [Edit- the custom tag was created as a copy of the Performer tag]
    Last edited by MDE; 03-07-2017 at 10:07 AM.

Are you starting with ID3 format (i.e Wav, mp3) because the standard field for performers in ID3 is TIPL (IPLS v23) and IPLS (v24), but when Dbpoweramp transcodes files it loses these particular ID3 fields they are not converted.

Quote Originally Posted by paultaylor View Post
    Are you starting with ID3 format (i.e Wav, mp3) ...
    I started with FLAC files. Tag name was PERFORMER.