title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Error unable to open File

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BitByBit
    • Feb 2017

Error unable to open File

OK, so this error perplexed me for a while until I realized the naming in the "Multi Encoder" encoders seems to do something completely different.

First of I am not using a network drive, just a local write on my disk. So here is what is breaking and was driving me crazy...

When using Dynamic Naming in "Multi Encoder" with a "-" character for some reason it is changing the "-" character to a "/" character, this also occurs when the the track title has a "-" character or a "/". This is a fresh install with no settings tweaked, only after the struggling with this for a while did I try to tweak some things, like changing the "CD Ripper Options -> Meta Data & ID Tag Character /Word Replacement" and the "CD Ripper Options -> Filename Restricted Characters" options to try to prevent this. Attached are the two dialog screen shots, because seeing is believing, these are the settings I had to begin with, and the ones I set them back to. Changing these did not seem to have an effect on the above problem. Any text in the file name with the "-" character is being converted to "/", and also when a file name has the "/" character in it it is not being removed. I am using version: dMC-R16.2-Ref-Trial.

Click image for larger version

Name:	dbpoweramp-Meta_Character_Word_Replacement_Dialog.png
Views:	1
Size:	10.7 KB
ID:	297138
    Click image for larger version

Name:	dbpoweramp-File_Name_Character_Replacement_Dialog.png
Views:	1
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	297139

I have verified this seems to be a problem ONLY with the naming used in the "Multi Encoder" when using the exact same naming convention as the regular encode (Literally copying and pasting it) it fails . I have only tested this for FLAC and MP3, but I suspect it is a Multi Encoder issue. Please verify you can recreate the problem.
  • DarkDrums
    • Feb 2017

Re: Error unable to open File

I can confirm this to be the case also. The issue has only started since updating to v16.2 and occurs only when using the Multi-Encoder rather than using a single encoder.

I've posted this to a separate thread, but if it helps someone, here is my dynamic naming and the error message:

Code:
    [IF!COMP]Artists\[artist]\[album]\[IFMULTI](Disc [disc])\[][B][track] - [title][/B][][IFCOMP]Various\[album]\[IFMULTI](Disc [disc])\[][track] - [title][]
    Code:
    Error ripping to [Multi Encoder], 'Track 1' to 'F:\Whitesnake\1987 [20th Anniversary Collectors Edition]\01 Whitesnake - Still of the Night.IGNORE'
       Wave: Error unable to open File 'F:\Artists\Whitesnake\1987 [20th Anniversary Collectors Edition]\[B]01 / Still of the Night.wav[/B]' for writing.  [clEncoder::BeginConversion]
       mp3 (Lame): Error unable to open File 'E:\Artists\Whitesnake\1987 [20th Anniversary Collectors Edition]\[B]01 / Still of the Night.mp3[/B]' for writing.  [clEncoder::BeginConversion]
    John

Comment

• stephenrjr
      • Feb 2017

Confirming same problem upon upgrading to R16.2 - File open errors when using "Multi Encoder":

Code:
      [IFCOMP][album][IFMULTI] - Disc [disc][]\[track] - [artist] - [title][][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][]\[album][IFMULTI] - Disc [disc][]\[track] - [artist] - [title][]
      Code:
      Error ripping to [Multi Encoder], 'Track 1' to 'D:\UserData\Stephen\Music\Miles Davis\Blue Moods\01 Miles Davis - Time After Time.IGNORE'
         Apple Lossless: Error unable to open File 'M:\Secure Music\ALAC Library\Miles Davis\Blue Moods\01 / Miles Davis / Time After Time.m4a' for writing.  [clEncoder::BeginConversion]

<...>

Error ripping to [Multi Encoder], 'Track 12' to 'D:\UserData\Stephen\Music\Miles Davis\Blue Moods\12 Miles Davis - Summer Night.IGNORE'
         Apple Lossless: Error unable to open File 'M:\Secure Music\ALAC Library\Miles Davis\Blue Moods\12 / Miles Davis / Summer Night.m4a' for writing.  [clEncoder::BeginConversion]
      -Stephen
      Last edited by stephenrjr; 02-26-2017, 04:42 PM. Reason: Correct markup

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

Strange I not get same error (trying Reference on 64 bit), even with your naming strings...

Which version of dBpoweramp do you have? 64 or 32 bit?
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• DarkDrums
          • Feb 2017

Originally posted by Spoon
          Strange I not get same error (trying Reference on 64 bit), even with your naming strings...

Reference, 64-bit.

Comment

• BitByBit
            • Feb 2017

Originally posted by Spoon

Yes, I am using 64-bit as well, on bare-metal Windows 10 machine (Not a VM).

Comment

• Spoon
              Administrator
              • Apr 2002

Try this exact test:

take a flac file >> right click >> convert to >> multi-encoder

Add just mp3 lame (any settings) and set the naming to [artist] - [tile]

Write to a specified folder.

What final name is used?
              Spoon
              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• BitByBit
                • Feb 2017

OK, ran test as specified above, (I did change: "[artist] - [tile]" to "[artist] - [title]") and got the following error:

Code:
                Error converting to [Multi Encoder], 'C:\Users\BitBuilder\Music\dbPowerAudio Rips\FLAC\Swans\The Burning World\03 Swans ~ Can't Find My Way Home.flac' to 'C:\Users\BitBuilder\Music\dbPowerAudio Rips\FLAC\Swans\The Burning World\03 Swans ~ Can't Find My Way Home.IGNORE'
                   mp3 (Lame): Error unable to open File 'C:\Users\BitBuilder\Music\dbPowerAudio Rips\Swans / Can't Find My Way Home.mp3' for writing.  [clEncoder::BeginConversion]

Comment

• BitByBit
                  • Feb 2017

Note: Multi Encode seems to not be using the options I tried setting in the dialogs I mention in my first post above at all, as I get the following error when trying to rip a file with a ":" in the [album] as well. And that character should be replaced as well according to the replacements in the "CD Ripper Options -> Filename Restricted Characters" options.

Code:
                  Error ripping to [Multi Encoder], 'Track 9' to 'C:\Users\BitBuilder\Music\dbPowerAudio Rips\Pixies\Wave of Mutilation; Best of Pixies\09 Pixies - Monkey Gone to Heaven.IGNORE'
                     FLAC: Error unable to open File 'C:\Users\BitBuilder\Music\dbPowerAudio Rips\FLAC\Pixies\Wave of Mutilation: Best of Pixies\09 Pixies ~ Monkey Gone to Heaven.flac' for writing.  [clEncoder::BeginConversion]
                     mp3 (Lame): Error unable to open File 'C:\Users\BitBuilder\Music\dbPowerAudio Rips\MP3\Pixies\Wave of Mutilation: Best of Pixies\09 Pixies ~ Monkey Gone to Heaven.mp3' for writing.  [clEncoder::BeginConversion]
                  P.S. Note as a sloppy fix I am using tilde "~" character as a separator instead of "-", but that is only a workaround for user set naming strings, not track data, that needs to be replaced.
                  Last edited by BitByBit; 02-27-2017, 12:40 AM.

Comment

• Spoon
                    Administrator
                    • Apr 2002

It does not use the one in CD Ripper rather:

dBpoweramp Control Center >> Advanced Settings

Filename Restricted Characters

Click the restore default button
                    Spoon
                    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• stephenrjr
                      • Feb 2017

Performing a 'Restore Default' solved this issue for me.

In case it helps, I had performed an in-place upgrade of 64-bit R16.1 to 16.2 and started having the problem.

Many thanks!

Comment

• Spoon
                        Administrator
                        • Apr 2002

Have you ever edited that section before?
                        Spoon
                        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• mana
                          • Mar 2017

Same problem happened to me, also after upgrading to to v16.2 and when using the Multi-Encoder rather than using a single encoder. I did as Spoon suggested and it fixed it. Note that I had tried reseting filename restricted characters from the CD ripper app and it had not solved the issue. I had to use the dBpoweramp configuration app

Comment

• Spoon
                            Administrator
                            • Apr 2002

Have you ever run a R16 beta before? or edited that section previously?
                            Spoon
                            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• mana
                              • Mar 2017

I did not run a beta before and I don't believe I made any changes to the filenames restricted characters. I did use Word/character replacement rules

Comment

Working...

]]>