title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Error unable to open File

Error unable to open File

OK, so this error perplexed me for a while until I realized the naming in the "Multi Encoder" encoders seems to do something completely different.

First of I am not using a network drive, just a local write on my disk. So here is what is breaking and was driving me crazy...

When using Dynamic Naming in "Multi Encoder" with a "-" character for some reason it is changing the "-" character to a "/" character, this also occurs when the the track title has a "-" character or a "/". This is a fresh install with no settings tweaked, only after the struggling with this for a while did I try to tweak some things, like changing the "CD Ripper Options -> Meta Data & ID Tag Character /Word Replacement" and the "CD Ripper Options -> Filename Restricted Characters" options to try to prevent this. Attached are the two dialog screen shots, because seeing is believing, these are the settings I had to begin with, and the ones I set them back to. Changing these did not seem to have an effect on the above problem. Any text in the file name with the "-" character is being converted to "/", and also when a file name has the "/" character in it it is not being removed. I am using version: dMC-R16.2-Ref-Trial.

dbpoweramp-Meta_Character_Word_Replacement_Dialog.png
    dbpoweramp-File_Name_Character_Replacement_Dialog.png

I have verified this seems to be a problem ONLY with the naming used in the "Multi Encoder" when using the exact same naming convention as the regular encode (Literally copying and pasting it) it fails . I have only tested this for FLAC and MP3, but I suspect it is a Multi Encoder issue. Please verify you can recreate the problem.

Re: Error unable to open File

I can confirm this to be the case also. The issue has only started since updating to v16.2 and occurs only when using the Multi-Encoder rather than using a single encoder.

I've posted this to a separate thread, but if it helps someone, here is my dynamic naming and the error message:

Code:
    [IF!COMP]Artists\[artist]\[album]\[IFMULTI](Disc [disc])\[][track] - [title][][IFCOMP]Various\[album]\[IFMULTI](Disc [disc])\[][track] - [title][]
    Code:
    Error ripping to [Multi Encoder], 'Track 1' to 'F:\Whitesnake\1987 [20th Anniversary Collectors Edition]\01 Whitesnake - Still of the Night.IGNORE'
       Wave: Error unable to open File 'F:\Artists\Whitesnake\1987 [20th Anniversary Collectors Edition]\01 / Still of the Night.wav' for writing.  [clEncoder::BeginConversion]
       mp3 (Lame): Error unable to open File 'E:\Artists\Whitesnake\1987 [20th Anniversary Collectors Edition]\01 / Still of the Night.mp3' for writing.  [clEncoder::BeginConversion]
    John

Confirming same problem upon upgrading to R16.2 - File open errors when using "Multi Encoder":

Code:
    [IFCOMP][album][IFMULTI] - Disc [disc][]\[track] - [artist] - [title][][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][]\[album][IFMULTI] - Disc [disc][]\[track] - [artist] - [title][]
    Code:
    Error ripping to [Multi Encoder], 'Track 1' to 'D:\UserData\Stephen\Music\Miles Davis\Blue Moods\01 Miles Davis - Time After Time.IGNORE'
       Apple Lossless: Error unable to open File 'M:\Secure Music\ALAC Library\Miles Davis\Blue Moods\01 / Miles Davis / Time After Time.m4a' for writing.  [clEncoder::BeginConversion]

<...>

Error ripping to [Multi Encoder], 'Track 12' to 'D:\UserData\Stephen\Music\Miles Davis\Blue Moods\12 Miles Davis - Summer Night.IGNORE'
       Apple Lossless: Error unable to open File 'M:\Secure Music\ALAC Library\Miles Davis\Blue Moods\12 / Miles Davis / Summer Night.m4a' for writing.  [clEncoder::BeginConversion]
    -Stephen
    Last edited by stephenrjr; 02-26-2017 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Correct markup

Administrator

Strange I not get same error (trying Reference on 64 bit), even with your naming strings...

Which version of dBpoweramp do you have? 64 or 32 bit?

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Strange I not get same error (trying Reference on 64 bit), even with your naming strings...

Reference, 64-bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post

Yes, I am using 64-bit as well, on bare-metal Windows 10 machine (Not a VM).

Administrator

Try this exact test:

take a flac file >> right click >> convert to >> multi-encoder

Add just mp3 lame (any settings) and set the naming to [artist] - [tile]

Write to a specified folder.

What final name is used?

OK, ran test as specified above, (I did change: "[artist] - [tile]" to "[artist] - [title]") and got the following error:

Code:
    Error converting to [Multi Encoder], 'C:\Users\BitBuilder\Music\dbPowerAudio Rips\FLAC\Swans\The Burning World\03 Swans ~ Can't Find My Way Home.flac' to 'C:\Users\BitBuilder\Music\dbPowerAudio Rips\FLAC\Swans\The Burning World\03 Swans ~ Can't Find My Way Home.IGNORE'
       mp3 (Lame): Error unable to open File 'C:\Users\BitBuilder\Music\dbPowerAudio Rips\Swans / Can't Find My Way Home.mp3' for writing.  [clEncoder::BeginConversion]

Note: Multi Encode seems to not be using the options I tried setting in the dialogs I mention in my first post above at all, as I get the following error when trying to rip a file with a ":" in the [album] as well. And that character should be replaced as well according to the replacements in the "CD Ripper Options -> Filename Restricted Characters" options.

Code:
    Error ripping to [Multi Encoder], 'Track 9' to 'C:\Users\BitBuilder\Music\dbPowerAudio Rips\Pixies\Wave of Mutilation; Best of Pixies\09 Pixies - Monkey Gone to Heaven.IGNORE'
       FLAC: Error unable to open File 'C:\Users\BitBuilder\Music\dbPowerAudio Rips\FLAC\Pixies\Wave of Mutilation: Best of Pixies\09 Pixies ~ Monkey Gone to Heaven.flac' for writing.  [clEncoder::BeginConversion]
       mp3 (Lame): Error unable to open File 'C:\Users\BitBuilder\Music\dbPowerAudio Rips\MP3\Pixies\Wave of Mutilation: Best of Pixies\09 Pixies ~ Monkey Gone to Heaven.mp3' for writing.  [clEncoder::BeginConversion]
    P.S. Note as a sloppy fix I am using tilde "~" character as a separator instead of "-", but that is only a workaround for user set naming strings, not track data, that needs to be replaced.
    Last edited by BitByBit; 02-26-2017 at 07:40 PM.

Administrator

It does not use the one in CD Ripper rather:

dBpoweramp Control Center >> Advanced Settings

Filename Restricted Characters

Click the restore default button

Performing a 'Restore Default' solved this issue for me.

In case it helps, I had performed an in-place upgrade of 64-bit R16.1 to 16.2 and started having the problem.

Many thanks!

Administrator

Have you ever edited that section before?

Same problem happened to me, also after upgrading to to v16.2 and when using the Multi-Encoder rather than using a single encoder. I did as Spoon suggested and it fixed it. Note that I had tried reseting filename restricted characters from the CD ripper app and it had not solved the issue. I had to use the dBpoweramp configuration app

Administrator

Have you ever run a R16 beta before? or edited that section previously?

I did not run a beta before and I don't believe I made any changes to the filenames restricted characters. I did use Word/character replacement rules