title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Totaltracks in FLAC

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Totaltracks in FLAC

Quote Originally Posted by evasv View Post
    So, for the last time I will say this: I have seen the tracknumber tag occupied with the values 1.01, 2.01 etc in several FLAC albums that I have downloaded in the past. Those values have been present within the metadata itself - certainly not confused with a filename or a GUI presentation.
    No, insult intended. You may well have downloaded flac files with 1.01, 2.01 in the track number tag, but I am saying that this is non-standard and that the standard is to use the disc and track number tags to hold this information. You do not have to agree with me, but I am entitled to my opinion.

You can do what you like with your tags, but I was trying to help, to achieve the universal solution you mentioned earlier in the thread, without creating more problems for yourself in the future.
    Last edited by mville; 02-27-2017 at 06:41 AM. Reason: typo

dBpoweramp Guru

Since I've now decided to include the discnumber tags, it's important to spell them right. I've seen some variations in the past. Are these the current tags with correct spelling and the only two I should use:

Discnumber
    Disctotal
    You are correct, the spelling is important. There are 2 variables to consider here, what file format you are tagging and which software you intend to use to tag the files, as the disc and track number tags varies in different softwares.

So, what is the file format and which software will you use to tag the files?

Also, are those tags really needed on the single-CD's too?
    There is no definitive answer to this question, due to the plethora of server/player software available. As a result, I personally keep the data consistent across my audio library, so I tag all my files with disc and track number.

dBpoweramp Guru

Since I've now decided to include the discnumber tags, it's important to spell them right. I've seen some variations in the past. Are these the current tags with correct spelling and the only two I should use:

Discnumber
    Disctotal

Also, are those tags really needed on the single-CD's too?
    for my FLAC files, "Discnumber" is correct. I don't use Disctotal so not sure the tag spelling. And you have to be careful, in some cases, the mp3 ID3vX tag name may be different from FLAC. Best to use the tag and then test in your various players for correct display.

I don't use disc tags on single CDs.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Thank you for still trying to help mville, in spite of our little "incident". Very much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    So, what is the file format and which software will you use to tag the files?
    File format is FLAC. For tagging I use tag.exe at the moment, but this could change. But does it matter? Or do you mean the software I use to play the files?

To be clear, I want to know the actual text to be written into the metadata, not the visual presentation in the tagging software.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    I don't use Disctotal
    That's interesting. I'm curious to know if there is a reason for this? Have you ever noticed any problems in software playing your multi-cd albums having Discnumber but not Disctotal?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    for my FLAC files, "Discnumber" is correct.
    I am probably wrong here, but I vaguely recall a thread (maybe it was a long time ago) where you said that you didn't use discnumber tags at all but for multi-cd's used the sequential track numbering method instead. Maybe it wasn't you or maybe you were just listing alternatives for someone else.

But if - against all odds - I recall this correctly, you seem to have you abandoned that method?

Even though my decision to use discnumber tags is 97% firm, it's interesting to hear what other people do and why.

dBpoweramp Guru

File format is FLAC. For tagging I use tag.exe at the moment, but this could change. But does it matter? Or do you mean the software I use to play the files?
    No, it does not matter, you just need to know the flac tag names you use in tag.exe are correct, so that the disc tags (number and total) and track tags (number and total) are correctly displayed in any other software you use e.g. foobar2000.

This display issue is compounded (and gets complicated) by tag mapping. You need to be aware of any vorbis comment mappings made in dBpoweramp (and if you use them, in MP3Tag and foobar2000):

Finally, for this sort of bulk editing, I find MP3Tag an excellent tool, as you can create actions for many tasks, that you can re-use later.

dBpoweramp Guru

Even though my decision to use discnumber tags is 97% firm, it's interesting to hear what other people do and why.
    It's not possible to predict how other software will handle the 4 disc/track tags. In my experience, certain software expects certain tags to be populated, so, for this reason and to avoid any issues in the future, I populate all 4 disc/track tags.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

This display issue is compounded (and gets complicated) by tag mapping.
    This is one of the reasons that I don't tag with flashy GUI's that tries to do to much. Another reason is that I don't really need the visual presentation for tagging. I prefer to keep it simple with command-line programs like tag or metaflac, and a "light" frontend like Tag Frontend. The latter is getting a bit old though and I haven't found a frontend to metaflac (if anyone have seen one, please let me know). Using command-line and making batchfiles is easy though when you get the grip of it, so you don't really need a frontend. I sometimes use Foobar for testing purposes, but I don't tag with it.

When playing music on the computer, on the other hand, I use more visually appealing programs, mostly Foobar and Asset Control. I really, no I REALLY wish Asset Control would still be maintained, I think it's a beautiful GUI.

So, what I want to know is the actual metadata to be written by the command-line programs. Discnumber is now 100% clear to me. Disctotal is 99% clear - can you confirm that this is the right and only tag or should I complement with the older Totaldiscs or any other variant.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

It's not possible to predict how other software will handle the 4 disc/track tags. In my experience, certain software expects certain tags to be populated, so, for this reason and to avoid any issues in the future, I populate all 4 disc/track tags.
    I understand that perspective and it's a valid precaution. I can also see it from another angle where certain software use your tags to do unwanted things. One example is adding the discnumber to the presentation of the album name. Another one I've seen is kidnapping the Composer tag and mixing it with the Artist tag.

So you can see it both ways - to have all common tags so they won't ever be missed or to avoid some tags that aren't mandatory.

dBpoweramp Guru

I understand that perspective and it's a valid precaution. I can also see it from another angle where certain software use your tags to do unwanted things. One example is adding the discnumber to the presentation of the album name. Another one I've seen is kidnapping the Composer tag and mixing it with the Artist tag.

So you can see it both ways - to have all common tags so they won't ever be missed or to avoid some tags that aren't mandatory.
    Yes, software that appends the disc no. to an album name produces undesirable results e.g. a single album listed 10 times for a 10 disc CD set. I would stay well away from any such software.

dBpoweramp Guru

So, what I want to know is the actual metadata to be written by the command-line programs. Discnumber is now 100% clear to me. Disctotal is 99% clear - can you confirm that this is the right and only tag or should I complement with the older Totaldiscs or any other variant.
    Are the disc/track tag names not shown in the tag.exe help/documentation? If not, I would try discnumber and disctotal.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Tag is an old program, so I wouldn't trust its recommendations about tag names if there were any. Since you also recommend Discnumber and Disctotal I think they are the ones to use, so I will stick with them.

my decision to use discnumber tags is 97% firm
    Maybe 98% now, I will think this through again to be sure.

dBpoweramp Guru

I am probably wrong here, but I vaguely recall a thread (maybe it was a long time ago) where you said that you didn't use discnumber tags at all but for multi-cd's used the sequential track numbering method instead. Maybe it wasn't you or maybe you were just listing alternatives for someone else.

But if - against all odds - I recall this correctly, you seem to have you abandoned that method?

No, I've always used discnumber for multidisk CDs rather than sequential track numbering. I have in the past provided assistance on how one would do sequential track numbering (101, 102, 201, 202, etc.) to posters who were seeking help on how to obtain that outcome.

dBpoweramp Guru

That's interesting. I'm curious to know if there is a reason for this? Have you ever noticed any problems in software playing your multi-cd albums having Discnumber but not Disctotal?
    no particular reason. If starting over I probably would use disctotal too. Never had any issues. I use foobar2000, LMS (Squeezeboxes), and Roon, and itunes/iphone for my mp3 copies of FLAC files.