title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Totaltracks in FLAC

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Totaltracks in FLAC

Is Totaltracks necessary or desirable in FLAC files? Does Asset make use of this tag?

I sometimes rename the track extension to .bkp for tracks that I find really bad (but don't want to delete from the hdd). Then the tracktotal will be wrong of course, that's why I ask if this tag is of any use for Asset.

Administrator

Re: Totaltracks in FLAC

It is not used by asset.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Thanks.

I am also considering to use track numbering 1.01, 1.02 - 2.01, 2.02 etc for multi-CD's and skip the tagging of CD numbers 1/2, 2/2 etc. This way a double CD would appear as a single CD in my collection but I would still be able to see which CD in the set the tracks belong to by looking at the track numbers.

Are there any problems for Asset with this numbering? Can you write whatever you like in the track tag, eg. 1.01, 1-01, 1/01 or even letters like A-01?

Would Asset still be able to count the total amount of tracks correctly?

Administrator

I would not do this. The latest R6 Asset (in testing) can automatically combine multiple discs as a single album.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I may have to reconsider then. One problem though is that I use my FLACs in my car too where I don't have Asset. Don't wanna have the problem with re-tagging for the car.

1) For the automatic combine in R6, would you only tick an option? Does it rely on the same discnumber tags as before?

2) If I still want to go through with my idea, would it be OK and would Asset acccept any character in the track tag, eg. dots, slashes, letters?

dBpoweramp Guru

Why don't you want to use disknumber and totaldisknumber in the metadata and a corresponding naming like "disknumber-tracknumber titlename"? This way the tracks of a multidisk can be stored in a single folder and the player decides if it uses the metadata or the file naming.

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by evasv View Post
    I may have to reconsider then. One problem though is that I use my FLACs in my car too where I don't have Asset. Don't wanna have the problem with re-tagging for the car.
    What re-tagging problems are you referring to?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Dat Ei & mville:

All was well until I played the FLACs in the car (which is actually my boyfriend's). That player doesn't handle multidiscs well, so the safest way is to not have disknumber and totaldisknumber in the metadata. If they are present I would have to delete them before playing in the car. I'm looking for a solution that will work universally.

Are there any downsides with having dots, slashes or letters in the track tag?

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by evasv View Post
    All was well until I played the FLACs in the car (which is actually my boyfriend's). That player doesn't handle multidiscs well, so the safest way is to not have disknumber and totaldisknumber in the metadata.
    In what way does the car not handle multi-discs well, please describe?

... also, are your multi-cd albums in a single folder, with all tracks having the same album tag OR are they in separate folders with differing album tags?
    Last edited by mville; 02-23-2017 at 08:01 AM. Reason: typo and additional questions?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    In what way does the car not handle multi-discs well, please describe?
    When browsing for albums, the car player presents double-CD's as two CD's even if they have the same album tag. So it must read either the disknumber tag or the folder names - I'm guessing the tags since it says Disc 1 and Disc 2, even though my folders are named CD1 and CD2.

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    ... also, are your multi-cd albums in a single folder, with all tracks having the same album tag OR are they in separate folders with differing album tags?
    My multi-cd albums are in separate folders with the same album tag. I want to change that to a single folder though, with file numbering 1.01, 1.02 etc.

Point is that I don't want to have any future problems with this if I change the car or the software. If players and servers accept dots (or slashes or letters) in the track tag that would be a nice solution for me.

My reasoning is that since I want multi-cd albums to be treated as single albums, a simple solution would be to have all tracks in the same folder with the same album tag and filenames like 1.01 - Back in the USSR.flac ... 2.01 - Birthday.flac, and the track tag set to 1.01 ... 2.01 etc. Then the disknumber tag would be redundant and could be deleted. No risk of software misinterpreting the tag since it isn't there.

dBpoweramp Guru

Again: try to put all files in one folder and use a naming like "1-01 xxx", "1-02 yyy", "2-01 zzz" and keep the metadata in your sourcefiles.

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Ei View Post
    Again: try to put all files in one folder and use a naming like "1-01 xxx", "1-02 yyy", "2-01 zzz" and keep the metadata in your sourcefiles.

Dat Ei
    But I want to avoid metadata for the discnumber tag so that it never ever can be misinterpreted. Why do you think it is necessary to have the discnumber tag?

dBpoweramp Guru

Modern player can not only handle the disknumber and totaldisknumber tags without problems, they can and will use it. So if you have that metadata in your source files, you're on the safe side for what ever may come and for whatever reason and for whatever player you will convert your source files into your destination files. It is easier to delete metadata during the conversion for a specific player than to create it afterwards.

Aside I would try to avoid points for delimiting different parts of the file names. They might be a cause for problems (points were usually meant to delimit name and extension).

From my experience: player tried to use the metadata or they used simply the filenames (in that case the naming "1-01 xxx" or "01-01 xxx" would give you the right order of tracks too).

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Modern player can not only handle the disknumber and totaldisknumber tags without problems, they can and will use it.
    I had problems in the car as I described above. The car is 2 or 3 years old I think.

It is easier to delete metadata during the conversion for a specific player than to create it afterwards.
    I agree, it's tedious to add these tags afterwards. On the other hand, since I experienced trouble, I'm still hesitating to have the discnumber tags.

Aside I would try to avoid points for delimiting different parts of the file names. They might be a cause for problems (points were usually meant to delimit name and extension).
    I am a little bit concerned about this, but isn't it a relic from the DOS years? Is it really a concern these days? Actually, I've seen the 1.01 principle used by others many times and that's why I just copied it. But it's good to be safe, so maybe a dash as you suggest would be better. Unfortunately I already use a dash in my automated naming scheme so maybe I should avoid dashes too... I will figure something out though.

dBpoweramp Guru

I agree (and is what I do with my multi-cd albums).

Trying to shoehorn non-standard track and disc tags into your files is, IMO, nonsensical. It isn't even certain that the problem with the car player lies with the track and disc tags.