title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: CD player starts stuttering after ripping more than two or three CDs in a row

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

CD player starts stuttering after ripping more than two or three CDs in a row

When I first begin ripping CD's from an external CD player to a MacMini server everything runs smoothly. However, the more CD's I rip in a row the more the player starts stuttering and the rip gets extremely slow. Then, after a couple of minutes the player smooths out and starts ripping at the right speed. I've tried a couple of different CD players and they all seem to have the same issue. Has anyone else had this problem and does anyone know why this could be happening or found a solution? Thanks

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: CD player starts stuttering after ripping more than two or three CDs in a row

You are using an external USB-IDE or USB-SATA case with 5.25" drives in it? Or those mini-laptop-type-slim-standalone kind of external drives?

Re: CD player starts stuttering after ripping more than two or three CDs in a row

Quote Originally Posted by jultsu View Post
    You are using an external USB-IDE or USB-SATA case with 5.25" drives in it? Or those mini-laptop-type-slim-standalone kind of external drives?
    It's a slim stand alone USB 3 external drive.

Administrator

Describe the stuttering more please, the cd drives sounds like it is moving the reading head? or ripping is starting and stopping?

I'm not sure exactly what's happening within the drive, but it sounds like the disc is starting and stopping very rapidly. While in this mode it rips very slowly. This usually lasts for a minute or two and then smooths out and rips normally.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Disc is not copy protected and not scratched? Did you try removing C2 pointers from settings?

Administrator

Perhaps you have something else running on the system which is taking up 100% of the cpus

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Perhaps you have something else running on the system which is taking up 100% of the cpus
    No, this is a dedicated MacMini i7 core which I only use for music. The only other program running is Roon. And like i said it only happens for the first couple of minutes after starting a rip and then it starts running smoothly. And the rips come out fine, it's just strange that it struggles so much when starting.

Quote Originally Posted by jultsu View Post
    Disc is not copy protected and not scratched? Did you try removing C2 pointers from settings?
    It happens on every disc, including new ones. How do I remove C2 pointers?