title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Batch Converter for RG tags - just used it and some files did not get tagged...

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Batch Converter for RG tags - just used it and some files did not get tagged...

Quote Originally Posted by Max Dread View Post
    So is there anything else left to try or look into, or will this have to be put down to "one of those things"?
    I suggest you concentrate on the likelihood that there is a problem with your files and/or system and NOT with the software, as there are many users using the Replay Gain utility codec R5 without any problems.

Without access to your system, it is difficult to diagnose the problem.

FYI, of the 5 files you have posted I can run Test Conversion and Replay Gain successfully on all of them except
    Wolf Eyes - Slicer - 02 - Untitled 02.mp3

which gives the same error for both Test Conversion and Replay Gain utility codec R5:
    Error converting to [ReplayGain], 'C:\Test\Wolf Eyes - Slicer - 02 - Untitled 02.mp3' to 'C:\Test\Wolf Eyes - Slicer - 02 - Untitled 02.IGNORE'
    Error decoding mp3 data stream, is corrupt?

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Batch Converter for RG tags - just used it and some files did not get tagged...

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    I suggest you concentrate on the likelihood that there is a problem with your files and/or system and NOT with the software, as there are many users using the Replay Gain utility codec R5 without any problems
    I agree. I've used the RG utility codec on many thousands of files over several versions dating back several years. I've not seen any problems. I suspect local file and/or hard drive problems in your case. Random corrupt file problems is often a sign of a failing hard drive.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Fair enough. I'm glad I spotted the files and was able to deal with them. And for future reference I think after batch converting a large amount of files I'll give them a quick check over to make sure they all have RG tags. To be honest, I'm the kind of guy who'll give them a quick check over for everything regardless

I can see how it might be my system and/or HD(s). But I can't see how it could be the files seeing as they pass through Test Conversion with no issue both at my end and yours (apart from the one Wolf Eyes track). Or am I missing something?

Perhaps now would also be a good time to put my HD through some testing. Do you think if it is a HD problem it would be the one with the files on or the one with the OS on?

Thanks for all the help.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Max Dread View Post
    I can see how it might be my system and/or HD(s). But I can't see how it could be the files seeing as they pass through Test Conversion with no issue both at my end and yours (apart from the one Wolf Eyes track).
    If your files do not get errors after running Test Conversion and your files play back fine, then the files are probably ok. However, the fact that you cannot write RG tags to some files using dBpoweramp, suggests something is wrong but as I said earlier, without access to your system, it is difficult to know.

What is important here is NOT to make assumptions about what is wrong e.g. maybe the files were being locked by another program when you initially ran the Replay Gain utility codec.

dBpoweramp Guru

. maybe the files were being locked by another program when you initially ran the Replay Gain utility codec.
    Good point.

dBpoweramp Guru

I've had issues with dBpoweramp on occasion where antivirus temporarily locked files, presumably to check for virus, and messed up encoding. In my case, the major issue involved very short files, but you should look very carefully at what other software might be doing in the background.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by schmidj View Post
    I've had issues with dBpoweramp on occasion where antivirus temporarily locked files, presumably to check for virus, and messed up encoding. In my case, the major issue involved very short files, but you should look very carefully at what other software might be doing in the background.
    Good call. So I've just tried disabling the AV (doesn't seem possible to turn it off completely). I also closed down my soundcard software. I did both of these things after a fresh Restart , so I don't think that left much running in the background. Still the same result though, with no RG being written tot he files in question.

Was worth a try though.

Ta

dBpoweramp Guru

I would like to confirm something with you. The files in question, you can use foobar2000 to write the RG tags successfully?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I would like to confirm something with you. The files in question, you can use foobar2000 to write the RG tags successfully?
    Yes, that is correct.

dBpoweramp Guru

In ReplayGain >> Advanced Options, what is Gain Calculation set to, EBU R128 or ReplayGain? If EBU R128, can you try ReplayGain?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

In ReplayGain >> Advanced Options, what is Gain Calculation set to, EBU R128 or ReplayGain? If EBU R128, can you try ReplayGain?
    Sorry for the delay - it has been a busy weekend. I had it set to EBU R128. I just tried as you suggested and changed it to ReplayGain. Still the same result - no RG tags written.

Many thanks

I had a similar issue over the weekend.

I had several new albums I wanted to tag and calculate replay gain tags for before moving them to my library.

First I used PerfectTunes to check the accuracy of the rips and they all came up as accurate.

Second I ran the batch coverter using the ID Tag update from the codec page to copy Artist to Album Artist and after it finished it reported some errors and suggested the files might be locked. I didn't change anything and re-run the same job and this time coverter went red in the taskbar and took a lot longer and eventually reported that all the files failed and could be locked.

I tried the following:
    Restarted the computer
    Copied the files to a different folder
    Turned off AV (Bitdefender Free version)
    Set folder\file permissions to modify for "Everyone"
    Replaced permission on all child objects

Nothing seemed to help.

It took about an hour trying different things and I eventually made the owner of the files "Everyone" and then it worked, took hardly anytime at all (1200+ x speed), reported no errors and the tags were successfuly added to the files.

I then had another album with the same issue and repeated the steps above but this time it didn't help. Could the coverter be locking the files itself and only releases them after a given amount of time?
    Last edited by DarthMoon; 03-19-2017 at 10:39 PM.

Administrator

No, as if you look in task manager you would have to see a 'coreconverter.exe' or 'musicconverter.exe' running for the files to be locked, it is not possible for a lock to stay active if the program has quit.

I think I solved my problem... would you believe after all that it was the 'read-only' flag? Such a basic thing to overlook, converter is ripping through them now