title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Metadata not being copied when converting M4A to MP3

Metadata not being copied when converting M4A to MP3

Hey, have been using dBpoweramp Music Converter (now v16) for many years now and I'm now converting a major folder tree (over 800k files) from M4A to MP3.

In testing, for some reason its not keeping the file metadata which I really need for 'legal hold' purposes, specifically dates.

Because the files have been copied from iPhone, the original SYSTEM FILEMODIFYDATE/ACCESS/CREATE metadata (2017:02:15 15:58:37+08:00 for example) is overwritten with the date/time the file is copied to the server. When I look with EXIFtool I can see the QUICKTIME CREATE/MODIFYDATE attributes (2017:02:15 08:54:03) are both correct.

I was originally copying the date/time using IDTAGPROCESSING to the COMMENTS field - which was OK but not great, but it recently stopped working with a recent iOS update. The PRESERVESOURCEATTRIBUTES also does not work for the above reasons.

Anyone have any ideas how I can keep all the original file metadata.?

Administrator

Re: Metadata not being copied when converting M4A to MP3

>SYSTEM FILEMODIFYDATE/ACCESS/CREATE metadata

These I think are not metadata but actual file and date times, try using the DSP effect Preserve Source Attributes.

Re: Metadata not being copied when converting M4A to MP3

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    >SYSTEM FILEMODIFYDATE/ACCESS/CREATE metadata

These I think are not metadata but actual file and date times, try using the DSP effect Preserve Source Attributes.
    Spoon, thanks for the prompt reply. Tried that already, see my post - because I copy the files to the server it uses this date/time rather than original file date/time. Pre conversion I can see the correct date/time in the M4A using EXIFtools but it's Apple Quicktime metadata and dBpoweramp can't see it.

170215 dBpoweramp metadata.png
    170215 M4A metadata.pdf

The PRESERVESOURCEATTRIBUTES which I've used only takes the SYSTEM FILEMODIFYDATE/ACCESS/CREATE (server copy date/time near top of the pic) metadata rather than the original Quicktime metadata (near bottom of pic).
    Last edited by David Harris; 02-15-2017 at 06:49 AM.