title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

ReplayGain Codec "Disable Clip-Prevention" option. What exactly does this do/mean?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Max Dread
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Dec 2013

Re: ReplayGain Codec "Disable Clip-Prevention" option. What exactly does this do/mea

Actually, on further reading I think it has been there for several versions so I must have just been missing it...

Just found this component which will compliment the feature beautifully:

Can't find what the defaults are though (might not need the component if the defaults suit me). Any idea what the defaults are?
    Last edited by Max Dread; 02-16-2017, 04:57 PM.

Comment

• garym
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Nov 2007

Re: ReplayGain Codec "Disable Clip-Prevention" option. What exactly does this do/mea

Originally posted by Max Dread
      Actually, on further reading I think it has been there for several versions so I must have just been missing it...

Just found this component which will compliment the feature beautifully:

Can't find what the defaults are though (might not need the component if the defaults suit me). Any idea what the defaults are?
      One doesn't need that component any more. Foobar2000 already does this now with the function we already discussed.

Comment

• Max Dread
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • Dec 2013

I think I misunderstood it in that case... I thought this was an extra tool to allow users to choose how to set up the replaygain modes per playback mode. As far as I can see, there is no way to change or customise the set up/behaviour. Or have I missed that too? Does it tell you anywhere how it is set up?

Cheers

Comment

• garym
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Nov 2007

I think I misunderstood it in that case... I thought this was an extra tool to allow users to choose how to set up the replaygain modes per playback mode. As far as I can see, there is no way to change or customise the set up/behaviour. Or have I missed that too? Does it tell you anywhere how it is set up?

Cheers
          I don't understand what your trying to do that the "playback order" option doesn't do automatically. I don't see any documentation on that other older component. It is from 2010.

Comment

• Max Dread
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
            • Dec 2013

I'm just wanting to know which RG mode is linked to which playback mode. I guess most would be obvious, but what about "Repeat (Track)" and "Shuffle (Albums)"?

Comment

• garym
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Nov 2007

I'm just wanting to know which RG mode is linked to which playback mode. I guess most would be obvious, but what about "Repeat (Track)" and "Shuffle (Albums)"?
              Very simple. If two or more adjacent tracks from same album are being played in your playlist (however you created it, i.e. Shuffle, etc), then foobar2000 uses album RG values. Otherwise it uses track RG values.

Comment

• Max Dread
                dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                • Dec 2013

Well that sounds straight forward enough. Thanks for explaining. I did look but could not find that info... Cheers

Comment

• krafty
                  • Dec 2021

Hi. This thread caught my attention, because of this option.
                  I've ripped about 17 CDs brand new and I noticed that there is this option.

What I want to understand is this...
                  Does this setting affects the ripping audio, as in apply normalization to the final files and make them lossy?
                  Or is it just a tagging thing?
                  Sorry for this question. It's that this specific thing is hard to get.

I did not enable this (left unticked), but I am getting AccurateRips and bit-perfect FLAC files.
                  Also, I did a check on ReplayGain default settings in DBPA, it is actually calculating both album and track gain just like foobar2000 does.
                  I noticed that this is in the Music Converter forum, but I am using just the CD Ripper which has this option too in DSP ReplayGain.
                  Does this cause any issues?

Update: I made an experiment in the CD ripper. One rip with the option TICKED and other rip with the option UNTICKED (as I was ripping). The files are bit identical, the replaygain values are identical and all tags are identical. So I think in terms of lossless CD, it is safe to leave unticked, right? The thing I used to hear about is that MP3 do go above 0+dB ceiling because its design... am I right? I never rip to CDs to MP3.

Thanks!
                  Last edited by krafty; 12-07-2021, 06:53 AM.

Comment

• Spoon
                    Administrator
                    • Apr 2002

Replaygain does not change the audio until playback, so your files are ripped correctly.

With this option disabled it is possible the volume adjustment later could cause clipping, but even then players like foobar would take the replaygain value and self calculate the clipping with the peak value which is also stored, so can stop also.
                    Spoon
                    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• garym
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Nov 2007

As @spoon notes, ReplayGain simply adds tags that can be used by ReplayGain aware players. Adding these tags does NOT change the actual audio (the ripped audio is still lossless rip of your CD). There are other processes that *can* modify your audio using the ReplayGain tag information, but that is not done automatically and one would have to actually implement that process (e.g., use "ReplayGain (apply)" if one wanted to change the underlying audio.

Comment

• krafty
                        • Dec 2021

Right...

Thanks for the replies.

So, let me see if I correctly understood this setting...

Let's say I'm ripping to MP3.

With the setting UNTICKED, if the final file has a frame above the ceiling (let's say, 1.2000 peak), the ReplayGain will calculate a value and put a tag that is relative below 0.0 ceiling.

With the setting TICKED, if the same file has one frame above the ceiling (1.200 peak), then the ReplayGain will calculate a value but in a homogeneously way and follow a strict calculation, not mattering in any way whether this calculation ends up relative to a 1.088 peak, because of that frame (Of course, we're talking about very tiny tiny numbers here).

And when using the ReplayGain (simple, not the "Apply" DSP) it all boils down to tags in the end of story.

(Notice: Do not confuse the peak value with the ReplayGain values).

---

As far as CD concerns, I have gone through quite a few brickwalled CDs in my collection and none of them went above 0.0 - I guess this has to do with the RedBook standard.

Thanks again guys.

Marvelous software, acquired yesterday :-)

-- krafty
                        Last edited by krafty; 12-07-2021, 06:33 PM. Reason: Better wording/reasoning

Comment

• garym
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Nov 2007

yes, correct (without nitpicking exact word choice), and yes, it is all in tags, nothing is changing the underlying AUDIO data.

Comment

Working...

]]>