title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to get artwork to copy across when using Music Converter?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

How to get artwork to copy across when using Music Converter?

Hi all

I am in the process of sorting out a large random collection of downloaded music and other stuff. I've just been changing all of the folder and filenames in this random collection so that they match the same format as the rips I&*8217;ve done. It has gone pretty well apart from one thing - the artwork did not copy over. I thought I had done the right thing by adding the Folder.jpg Preserve DSP, but it still didn't happen and I am now having to copy across all of the artwork (cover.jpg) into their respective album folders. For the second time!

It's not actually so bad, as it is giving me the chance to check things as I do it. And I have noticed the odd wrong date format, or tag error which has resulted in a folder error, etc.

However, it would be nice to know how to get it right for the future. And more importantly, I have some further batch converting to do on this Random Collection (add ReplayGain, certain tag amendments, etc) and I don't want to have to copy each piece of artwork across every time! I'll be here for days doing it otherwise!

So, what did I do wrong and what do I need to do to get the artwork to copy into the new folders?

Cheers

Max
    Last edited by Max Dread; 02-11-2017 at 05:22 PM.

Administrator

Re: How to get artwork to copy across when using Music Converter?

Check that the files are cover.jpg not cover.jpg.jpg

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Check that the files are cover.jpg not cover.jpg.jpg
    Hi Spoon

I'm pretty sure my files are just cover.jpg. When I look at them in explorer, the filename is simply "cover" with "Hide Extensions for known file types" ticked in Folder Options. If I untick that, then they show as cover.jpg.

So I don't think that's the issue here.

Any other suggestions? Please let me know if you need any details from me to be able to figure what's going on... Would be great to get it solved though as I don't want to individually and manually copy 500 odd jpegs every time I do a convert!

Cheers

Max

dBpoweramp Guru

IMHO the best way is to embed the album art in the source files. This way you can be sure to have an unique way to handle album arts in the conversion process.

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Thanks Dat Ei, but I'm happy with the cover.jpg per album folder method and have no desire whatsoever to embed.

I'm just hoping Spoon or someone can figure out a solution to the problem I'm having; or figure out what I'm doing wrong!

Thanks anyway for the response.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Max Dread View Post
    I'm happy with the cover.jpg per album folder method and have no desire whatsoever to embed.

I'm just hoping Spoon or someone can figure out a solution to the problem I'm having; or figure out what I'm doing wrong!
    Add the ID Tag Processing DSP to your conversion profile. Then, on the Manipulation Tab of ID Tag Processing, set Export To and Import From to cover.jpg.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Good thinking mville. I'll give that a try next time I convert. I'm not sure whether that's what NEEDS to done, or whether it is a work around for something that is broken/I am doing wrong. But ultimately if it works then I guess that's the main thing.

Would still be good to know for sure whether I was doing something wrong/something was broken.

Many thanks for the help.

dBpoweramp Guru

Good thinking mville. I'll give that a try next time I convert. I'm not sure whether that's what NEEDS to done, or whether it is a work around for something that is broken/I am doing wrong. But ultimately if it works then I guess that's the main thing.

Would still be good to know for sure whether I was doing something wrong/something was broken.
    You are converting from one format to another and as you do not embed your artwork, dBpoweramp does not know about your artwork. So, I guess nothing is broken.

By using the ID Tag Processing DSP, you can tell dBpoweramp what to do with your external artwork e.g. cover.jpg.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

But then what's the Folder.jpg Preserve supposed to do? I thought it was for this type of scenario.....

https://www.dbpoweramp.com/help/Codec/DSP/help.htm

"Copies Folder.jpg to the destination folder when converting. Also it is possible to copy other file based on their extension (example .txt; .cue to copy all files with these extensions, or a fixed filename, such as log.txt)."

Have I misunderstood? I know it is unlikely, but could it be anything to do with the fact the I have no capital C (cover.jpg rather than Cover.jpg)? The pic on the help file shows a capital C. Long shot I know, but worth an ask

dBpoweramp Guru

But then what's the Folder.jpg Preserve supposed to do? I thought it was for this type of scenario.....

https://www.dbpoweramp.com/help/Codec/DSP/help.htm

"Copies Folder.jpg to the destination folder when converting. Also it is possible to copy other file based on their extension (example .txt; .cue to copy all files with these extensions, or a fixed filename, such as log.txt)."

Have I misunderstood? I know it is unlikely, but could it be anything to do with the fact the I have no capital C (cover.jpg rather than Cover.jpg)? The pic on the help file shows a capital C. Long shot I know, but worth an ask
    Good point. I have never used the Folder.jpg Preserve DSP as ID Tag Processing works for me.

... just tested the Folder.jpg Preserve DSP (in a flac to mp3 conversion) and my cover.jpg artwork is copied successfully. I am using dBpoweramp Music Converter for Windows R15.3.
    Last edited by mville; 02-12-2017 at 11:37 AM. Reason: tested Folder.jpg Preserve DSP

Administrator

If using multi-encoder then it would not work.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I'm not using a multi encoder. In fact, the only encoder/codec I used in the converter was Arrange Audio (I wanted to update the folder structure and filenaming of some random music I've got).

So I don't think that was the problem...
    Last edited by Max Dread; 02-12-2017 at 02:21 PM.

Administrator

Arrange audio will not use any DSP effects.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Arrange audio will not use any DSP effects.
    Aha - well, that explains why it didn't work then!

So back to the drawing board... Is there anyway to achieve what I want and get the artwork (and text files) to move across to the new folders when converting with the Arrange Audio codec?

How about the Arrange External Album Art tick box. Does that have anything to do with this? And if not, what exactly does that tick box do (I've checked the help file but I'm still unclear)?

Thanks for all the help.

Administrator

It will copy the art, check it, although I am not sure about cover.jpg, perhaps folder.jpg only.