title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Error on all tracks but plays fine...

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Thumbs up Error on all tracks but plays fine...

Hi all,

I have come to the "Jazz Section" part of my CD ripping Journey.Most is Going well...But on several Blue Note Jazz CDs the Whole CD(s) Showing "Error" For every Single track.Seeing the "Copy Controlled" Thread on here, maybe thats something to do with it...? The Rudy Van Gelder reissues are Copy Controlled and my guess is theres lots of different versions of these CDs.( The ripper window-Shows them all in accurip) The Good News is they playback perfectly! The bad news is they take a good while to rip.

Would you be tempted to use Burst to Quicken things up...or shall I stay Secure..?

BTW iam using a LITEON drive and 99 % of the time it works fine. Unfortuantely my other drive is the same make & model (But Cant see this being the problem...after 1, 600 CDs being ripped great by the drive and of course thanks to DBPA !)

Administrator

Re: Error on all tracks but plays fine...

On the error page is a copy to clipboard button, press it and paste the error messages here please.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Ive realised that its only CDs with Copy Control and enhanced Media player built into the CD to play on P.C.s (Really dont know why record Companies felt the need to include this..Complete waste of time !)....

CropperCapture[6].jpg

dBpoweramp Guru

Those CDs are no Audio CDs (CDDA or CD-DA / Red book) at all.

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Thank-you ...that would explain it. If I remember correctly Dat Ei your a jazz fan, So I wonder if you (or anybody else) has ran into this problem...?

dBpoweramp Guru

Hey daleyb,

Quote Originally Posted by daleyb View Post
    Thank-you ...that would explain it. If I remember correctly Dat Ei your a jazz fan,...
    that is still true, but most of my Jazz CDs are produced by the labels ECM and ACT, who did and do not use copy protections. Especially ECM keeps an eye on the (sound) quality of their CDs. Manfred Eicher, owner and producer, has received a lot of awards for his outstanding work. Fortunately ECM and ACT are both based in Munich/Germany, where I live. So a lot of their bands and musicians perform in my small (180 seats) but even internationally well known jazz club 'Unterfahrt'. But I've seen even big american stars like Dee Dee Bridgewater, China Moses, Christian McBride etc. pp. in my club. Live music is even better than accurate ripped music.

So I wonder if you (or anybody else) has ran into this problem...?
    I only own a small number of copy protected CDs, which are mostly pop / rock albums released around the beginning of the century. So that is really no big problem at all for me.

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi daleyb,

Yeah, Blue Note had a lot of Copy Controlled "CDs" (NOT Red Book, as Dat Ei said) around 2003 - still causing problems for genuine customers 15 years later.

I don't own any of the Copy Controlled discs (refused to buy a crippled product), but have borrowed Sarah McLachlan, Afterglow, 2 disc, from 2003 with the dreaded Copy Control logo. Disc 1, track 1 had 57 frames needing re-ripping, and track 2, 32 frames. I let these run and they came up Innacurate. I haven't had a chance to listen if there is any audio degradation. Disc 2, also with the Copy Control logo, ripped first pass as an AccurateRip!!

An enhanced CD, Jewel, This Way, ripped with no issues. The Copy Control disc is the only one that has caused issues on my old Lite-on - many more problems using the laptop's drive and an external USB slimline device.

If these Copy Control discs are important to you, then maybe one of the CD copy programmes that can defeat the protection, is the answer? 2001 - 2006 were dark days for the CD.

Can you hear any audible issues if you use Burst mode?

Good luck!
    Last edited by Oggy; 02-04-2017 at 01:46 PM.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Thank you for that feedback.To be honest I never realised this at time of purchase. I just assumed copy control, just meant you cant copy it (Which we all know- we can !) I remember reading something about this in Spoons audio guide many moons ago... I am surprised a company like Blue Note got involved, there again they got took over by EMI, So not that surprised.. Blue Note always prided themselves in good Audio sound too. Like you Dat Ei I have recordings on ACT & ECM(great label)....Seems like everything's made well in Germany! too.Also Impulse, but many of my Blue Notes are (Thankfully) Not Copy Controlled.

Being in England I visit Ronnie Scotts Club in London.Seen Mark Murphy (RIP), Kurt Elling, Greg Porter and Mario Biondi....., Yep, you cant beat live music...Any way I am sure this Music Talk is for another Forum.

In the Meantime Oggy (Hope your well), will try & Burst them ! I am still Getting Excellent audio, just errors with accuraterip results, so not the end of the world

dBpoweramp Guru

Thank you for that feedback.To be honest I never realised this at time of purchase. I just assumed copy control, just meant you cant copy it (Which we all know- we can !) I remember reading something about this in Spoons audio guide many moons ago... I am surprised a company like Blue Note got involved, there again they got took over by EMI, So not that surprised.. Blue Note always prided themselves in good Audio sound too. Like you Dat Ei I have recordings on ACT & ECM(great label)....Seems like everything's made well in Germany! too.Also Impulse, but many of my Blue Notes are (Thankfully) Not Copy Controlled.

Being in England I visit Ronnie Scotts Club in London.Seen Mark Murphy (RIP), Kurt Elling, Greg Porter and Mario Biondi....., Yep, you cant beat live music...Any way I am sure this Music Talk is for another Forum.

In the Meantime Oggy (Hope your well), will try & Burst them ! I am still Getting Excellent audio, just errors with accuraterip results, so not the end of the world
    I've always wanted to visit Ronnie Scotts Club! I guess my condolences is that I often get to go to the Village Vanguard in New York City.