title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Batch converter slows from 300x to 10x after a few hundred files?

Batch converter slows from 300x to 10x after a few hundred files?

I have a USB3 hard drive with all my lossless music on it. And I have a USB2 256g stick (SanDisk Cruzer Glide USB Flash Drive -- USB 2.0) that I want to fill up with lossy versions of my music (for portable use).

Both are plugged into my iMac's USB slots (no hub).

Batch converter starts out super fast using all my cores, but after a hour or three slows WAAAAAY down.

Is this normal?

Is there a log file I could look at that might indicate where the bottleneck is coming from? I realize the USB2.0 stick is not as fast as 3.0 but I wouldn't think it is THAT slow....

Administrator

Re: Batch converter slows from 300x to 10x after a few hundred files?

If writing to usb flash it could be, try converting to your HDD as a test.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    If writing to usb flash it could be, try converting to your HDD as a test.
    Thanks for the recommendation.

I tried using the USB3 drive that has the music on it. For the fits several hundred songs, it was converting at about 300x. Then it slowed to about 30x. Not as bad as before but a big drop.

Is there a log file that might tell me what the bottle neck is.

Administrator

Try the internall HDD. The bottleneck almost certainly is the speed of the external devices.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Try the internall HDD. The bottleneck almost certainly is the speed of the external devices.
    Thanks yes, that is probably true. Unfortunately, it's an imac and there is not a lot of space on the internal drive.

I have all my music in one folder, with a subfolder for each artist, and then a subfolder for each album. I cannot select my whole music folder to convert to the internal HDD -- would take too much space -- but I could try smaller batches at a time and see. Have to select each artist folder individually, I think. I cannot figure out a way to select a group of artists, yet