title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Convert wav album to flac with metadata

Convert wav album to flac with metadata

New member so please excuse me if this is a pre-hashed subject. I have many music albums in wav format (from cd's) and would like to make a flac archive collection, which is the main reason for purchasing BDPA. I tried to set up a conversion with a wav album to convert as a whole album with metadata. The only thing I was able to do was convert the individual music files as a group instead of as an album. Naturally I was able to create folders and subfolders and put the song files in, but I was under the impression that the program would do this along with the metadata, just as if it was ripped from a cd. Am I missing something or is this not a function? I tried it to do this with Music Converter and Batch Converter. I am using Win7 Pro.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Convert wav album to flac with metadata

Your wave files have already metadata?

Dat Ei

That is incorrect. The wav files do not have metadata. The metadata for my wav files is stored in a database with WMP.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dbonne1 View Post
    That is incorrect. The wav files do not have metadata. The metadata for my wav files is stored in a database with WMP.
    In that case, you'll need some sort of program to embed the metadata in the WAV files before you convert with dbpa. I've seen programs for itunes that can automatically embed metadata from itunes database into individual files. Not sure about WMP, but you should google around. Bottom line: dbpa can't use metadata that's not in the files already. Once embedded in the files, dbpa can use the metadata in the newly created FLAC files. You'll also want to set up you dynamic naming string in dbpa converter to be sure it organizes the files the way you want (directories, subdirectories, file names, etc.).

You'll have to bear with me on my lack of knowledge on all of the dynamics. My understanding is that, when ripping to flac from cd, the program accesses metadata sites and embeds it in the file. From what I've read, there is no metadata embedded in a cd. So far I have seen this to be the case, and the metadata in the ripped music album is recognized in my PowerDVD program and also on my Windows 10 phone Groove Music app. When I look at the folder, I see that there is a jpeg image after the music files which was added in the rip. So I can't help but wonder why this process doesn't do the same thing when converting. As I said, the wav albums were ripped from cd's, so the individual songs are in the same order as the original cd and should be easy to match up with metadata. Actually, when comparing ripping/converting programs before settling on bdpa, I was led to believe that bdpa handled the metadata both in ripping and conversion. Your thoughts?

dBpoweramp Guru

You are correct in terms of what dbpa and other rippers do when RIPPING from a CD. They go out to the internet to various sources and use that info to complete the metadata tags for the ripped files (flacs, mp3, etc.). However, dbpa is not able to access this metadata from the internet when CONVERTING from one file to another (e.g., WAV to FLAC). I'm not sure there are any converters that can do this.

One thing that might work for you if you named your files well and they are organized well by subdirectory, is to use mp3tag to load up files and automatically use info from subdirectory names (such as artist name and album name) and file names (e.g., track number and song title) and automatically create the tag metadata. Let us know how your files are organized by directory and subdirectory and file names (give us a couple of examples) and if the above is true, I can assist you in creating metadata from your file/directory names.

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    You are correct in terms of what dbpa and other rippers do when RIPPING from a CD. They go out to the internet to various sources and use that info to complete the metadata tags for the ripped files (flacs, mp3, etc.). However, dbpa is not able to access this metadata from the internet when CONVERTING from one file to another (e.g., WAV to FLAC). I'm not sure there are any converters that can do this.

One thing that might work for you if you named your files well and they are organized well by subdirectory, is to use mp3tag to load up files and automatically use info from subdirectory names (such as artist name and album name) and file names (e.g., track number and song title) and automatically create the tag metadata. Let us know how your files are organized by directory and subdirectory and file names (give us a couple of examples) and if the above is true, I can assist you in creating metadata from your file/directory names.
    Hi,

I would love to do this -- create tags from my folder structures. My WAV files are organized very well by folder structure and filename, but do not have any associated tags. (They were ripped using a Naim media server, so all the metadata is in a Naim proprietary database.) I am a user of dbPowerAmp but haven't used mp3tag.

See attached for example folder/filename structure.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks,

Bill

2018-12-17 (1).png

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by bill_nyc View Post
    Hi,

I would love to do this -- create tags from my folder structures. My WAV files are organized very well by folder structure and filename, but do not have any associated tags. (They were ripped using a Naim media server, so all the metadata is in a Naim proprietary database.) I am a user of dbPowerAmp but haven't used mp3tag.

See attached for example folder/filename structure.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks,

Bill

2018-12-17 (1).png
    Try Tag&Rename and its Get Tags from Filename tab, it's easier than mp3Tag.
    You'll probably have to do it for each artist one by one or it will read everything in!
    Select the artist folder on the left hand side, then all their album(s) in the right window.
    Then use the filename mask "%1\%3\%6 -%2" - the preview will show you if it's correct.

Like this:
    Capture.jpg

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bill_nyc View Post
    As you have dBpoweramp, you can download and install the Tag From Filename utility codec, which sets ID tags from file/folder names.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    As you have dBpoweramp, you can download and install the Tag From Filename utility codec, which sets ID tags from file/folder names.
    Agree. If you have questions after trying to use, please post.

Seems to work great. I'm very impressed with MP3tag!